Artistic Flair to Companionway Hatch Boards: Very lengthy project post

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
locally on 3/4" mahogany board,
That sounds like it would work fine. You would probably want to glue it up. The glued boards would help stabilize each other if you pay attention and reverse the growth rings at each joint. The vertical rails I glued to the ends of my boards help prevent cupping even more.
You might be interested in seeing a set I'm working on right now. I'm happy with how it's coming out so far.
15127485567461125844058.jpg
- Will (Dragonfly)

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I think I'm going to have to hurry and snag it.

3/4 Mahogany 10' x 6" boards at local home depot on closeout for $5.40/ Board

There were three of these there last night.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
they are not ther today.
But, you never know. That does not sound even close to HD prices I've seen by the piece. That works out to about $1.80/b.f. and it's going to be finished too?
:wow3:
- Will (Dragonfly)

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
they are not ther today.
But, you never know. That does not sound even close to HD prices I've seen by the piece. That works out to about $1.80/b.f. and it's going to be finished too?
:wow3:
- Will (Dragonfly)
I don't think it is a stock item I am thinking special order that was returned to the store.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
sounds right. I priced their hardwoods and found their by the piece pricing was outrageous when converted to b.f. pricing. I by cut offs from a local millwork at decent rates. However, I have to finish it.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Nice inlay. What tool did you use to cut cross grain like that without splintering the ipe? Does ipe not splinter much on a shallow crosscut because it's so bard?
Here is a pic of the hatch boards I made for my good friend John (jssailem). The name of his boat is “Hadley”. After his grandson of the same name and a WWII destroyer (DD774) of the same name where his grandfather was the keel laying Captain (first captain of record). Please correct me if I mangled this John.....

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
The straight pieces where cut using a carbide dado set from grizzly. The letters were cut using a solid carbide two flute 1/8” end mill on a cnc router.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
sounds right. I priced their hardwoods and found their by the piece pricing was outrageous when converted to b.f. pricing. I by cut offs from a local millwork at decent rates. However, I have to finish it.
- Will (Dragonfly)
I went back to pick up the mahogany boards, and when I got to the register the cashier said they were miss marked, and that it was $5.40 per linear foot. At that price I passed on the purchase.

Now I am back to the possibility of laminating several sections of solid bamboo flooring together to get the right thickness. Glue it up three planks deep, and then cut and route to the correct shape. Maybe add some nice art like that shown in this thread.

Bamboo Flooring.jpg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I have to say, even at $5.40/l.f., it's better than I would have expected. Do they even know what kind of mahogany it is?
I think I generally get sapele from the local millworks for about $7.50/b.f. but it's been about three years so I may not be remembering right.
Bamboo sounds good. I'll bet it is good light colored wood for pyrography.
Have fun and please keep me posted.
Thanks.
- Will (Dragonfly)

May 20, 2016
last time I looked (a month ago) Sapele was about $5-6 / bf 4/4 skips here in Seattle - I have some plans for it on my next door project. Probably have to plane it to about 5/8 - 11/16 so skips not a problem.

5.40 / lf - works out to be over $11/ bf so not a good deal.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Funny, but when you guys mentioned making the boards out of Ironwood, I did a double take. In Upper Michigan, Ironwood is Carpinus caroliniana, a small hardwood tree so dense that its wood does not like to float. My dad used to use it to make hiking/walking sticks.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Funny, but when you guys mentioned making the boards out of Ironwood, I did a double take. In Upper Michigan, Ironwood is Carpinus caroliniana, a small hardwood tree so dense that its wood does not like to float. My dad used to use it to make hiking/walking sticks.
Kills chainsaw blades and makes a decent defense if you happen upon mama bear and catch her by surprise!

May 20, 2016
Ipe does kills saw blades but not nearly as bad as Bolivian Rosewood - So if a Bear sneaks onboard John's Cal 35 he can bash it with his door boards.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
The summer camp I went to in North Carolina, (Camp Sequoyah) had cabins at the top of the mountain that were hand crafted by the original campers in the late 1800s to early 1900s. some were made of ironwood. The story I heard was that when they went to do some renovations to an older section they tried to bulldoze one of the old cabins down. It broke free of the foundation, and rolled down the mountain fully intact. That wood is strong.