Are All Emergency Tillers Essentially Useless?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
You have 165 gallons of diesel in a 35' sailboat???

The T3800 carries 38 gal. The C36, 32.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Some E tillers are designed to run the aft instead of forward.
Every E tiller I've seen has holes drilled in the tiller end that are designed for attaching a block and tackle to each side to operate it. Fairlead these lines to winches and balance the sails for whatever course you need to make to the nearest safe harbor, making small adjustments with the tiller. They really are not designed for steering as you normally would, continuing a day sail or docking, IMO. As suggested, once safe, call Sea Tow for the docking. That's why you pay the dues.
Our autopilot drives the quadrant directly, so I doubt that we'll ever need our emergency tiller. Using the AP 'dodger' buttons, I believe we'd even be able to dock the boat fairly easily.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Our 1991 boat came equipped with an emergency rudder tiller, but have never used it; must give it a try. The below deck linear drive autopilot arm connects to a dedicated bronze tiller, which in the event of a steering failure, should work quite nicely. I inspect and lube our very robust Edson steering system each season; a very reliable cruising companion for this solo sailor.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Les I thought we agreed that some stories are best shared while drinking a few beers.... You are testing the code...

Yes it is true. The boat has two 79 gallon tanks located on either side of the keel. After 2.5 years of ownership I have finally consumed the original fuel from the tanks and am down to less than 20 gallons.

My name is John and I have a dirty fuel problem. I am not proud of the fact. I am working in a 12 step program and hope to kick the habit.

I also have a newly developed skill... I can change the fuel filter in less than 7 minutes. And I do not have to bleed the fuel lines if I stop the engine at the first signs of fuel deprivation.

I have become better at recognizing this malady.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I have, in fact, used my emergency tiller in anger.

It worked. I managed to get the boat back into the slip with the e-tiller. BUT: the rudder cable broke pretty close to the entrance to the harbor. I needed to steer with the e-tiller for all of 15-20 min or so. (Of course, we were also next to rocks and a beach which made getting the e-tiller working much more important) It was hard to steer at basically idle speeds - the wheel was in the way and I couldn't remove it due to a jammed nut (now fixed). Had to use legstrength in addition to arms to steer. Absolutely no way could I have been under full sail with it. (On a Catalina 30, so not all that big of a boat either).

With that experience behind me, I've got some ideas on what I would do if I needed it for a long distance and not next to a lee shore.

1. I'd try to fix the wheel first. I've got dyneema lifelines I could cannibalize to replace the cables. (For a bluewater boat, I think a spare set of cables on a cable-steered boat would be a good idea to have on board)

2. I'd remove the pedestal, and lengthen the tiller. (Lash something to it.. boathook, whiskerpole, gaff, stanchion, etc...)

3. As mentioned before, lines from winches to the tiller, I don't think that'd work all that well on a fin keeled boat under sail. Bit a full keeler that tracks like on rails it would work fine.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I used ours, once. Our steering failed in rough conditions in Nantucket Sound 10-12 years ago. We were in a dicey area with rocks on each side of a broad channel(1/2 to 1 NM wide), the wind was blowing hard and the waves were steep.

Just the time you don't want to lose your steering, is the time (because of stress on cables, wheels, etc) you probably will lose it. :)

Ours is typical, a stout pipe welded on a female socket that fits over the rudder head, beneath a deck plate in the cockpit sole. It didn't take long to fit it. As typical, the short pipe goes to one side or the other of the binnacle. We were under power headed into a good sea, and it worked, well enough. It got us to Woods Hole (6-8nm?) to find a mooring and make repairs.

I was spent by the time we got there. It took a lot of strength in the conditions. I remember vaguely that I did most of it sitting on the sole, using my legs. :) But I keep it in a ready place. Could save your boat.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I suppose if the rudder itself is functional one might be able to heave-to, at least, with the emergency tiller if it can be securely tied off to leeward, and if there is room. Could remain that way long enough to figure out what to do about fixing whatever broke on the wheel steering. Hopefully, you're equipped with parts.

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
my big fear is idler pulleys or the quadrant. I doubt many of us would have the spares on the boat.
Les

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I like the idea of dynema subbing for wire rope. It'd be much easier to put on and then to tighten.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I guess one lesson is that one should do all they can to avoid having to use the e-tiller: annual inspection and maintenance of the steering system! If the stainless cables are kept properly lubed (which means not too much!), they will last a long time. Likewise the chain. I think the weak link on many boats is the Edson aluminum "radial drive" wheel 'quadrant.'

As it is now, mine would be nearly impossible. I think I'll design a backup steering system and drill with it.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Having had the need to use one when our steering failed I will say that the emergency tiller is not only very useful but a necessity. They are difficult to use but there are alternatives. The rudder can be centered and the boat can be steered by the sails. Only in close quarters will the tiller have to be manually operated and that should not be for a long amount of time. If it came to survival because of building weather the binnacle can be dismounted and an extension attached to the tiller.

Oct 22, 2014
If it came to survival because of building weather the binnacle can be dismounted and an extension attached to the tiller.
I agree with you Benny and stated so in message 9. In an emergency anything goes.
There is a great book about such survival "Once is enough". A fun read about nearly losing it all but not then figuring out a way to get to a port.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
There is a great book about such survival "Once is enough". A fun read about nearly losing it all but not then figuring out a way to get to a port.
I consider this book to be a necessary reference book for anyone even thinking of venturing offshore.
After being capsized in a hurricane at sea off Fiji, the tactics learned from reading this book saved our lives. I did not need to take one second to try to figure out what to do to close the huge hole in the boat that the lost companionway hatch left. We did not lose our rig, but their story of successful jury rigging and making a safe port on their own is one of the main reasons why I sincerely believe I will never need to ask anyone else to risk their life to come save mine, if I am ever dismasted at sea while sailing for pleasure.

Oct 22, 2014
Capta... I loved the story. I found it great knowledge to have just in case. Happy you found it useful... Sounds like your adventure would be worth writing down.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
... 4. There is some fun YouTube video of boys playing on a 40' Swan steering their boat around a harbor using a drogue in tow. I believe you could MacGyver together a possible system with available boat equipment to emergency steer a boat....
Not a myth. In fact, this is the most robust emergency steering method, suitable not only for a simple broken chain, but also for jammed, bent, and broken rudders; the stuff that really causes trouble.

You could fit an emergency rudder over the transom. I've tested drogues in gale conditions, working around the transom, and I can't imagine trying to fit a rudder single handed or short handed. even with a crew, you will need to stabilize the boat first, since you can't do this in a beam sea, which is where you will turn.

You can try steering with sails. I think that is myth if there is real rudder damage. Try to jibe, for example. What if it is jammed a little to one side (common)? It won't work unless a beam-broad reach in the dirrection you wree already headed will work... and the wind direction will change.

The best method is to trail a drogue using an adjustable bridle. You steer using a winch, and even courses slightly to windward are possible. Jibing is easy. I tested in strong winds and I tested with the rudder jammed to the side. It really works. And it can be rigged by a singlehanded sailor in a few minutes, even in weather, so long as you have tested the rigging before.

This was written up in PS (https://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/37_78/features/Sailing-Without-a-Rudder_12221-1.html)

A longer version is available in the appendix of this book ( https://www.amazon.com/Faster-Cruising-Coastal-Sailor-Drew-ebook/dp/B0723FC1QW/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1506043000&sr=1-4&keywords=drew+frye).

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Having had to steer a modern spade rudder boat to port with an emergency tiller (thank god we had enough fuel), I can say it is a true challenge. OEM emergency tillers are inadequate. And assume that you still have a rudder! In 2014 Mike Keyworth used his Swan44 as test bed for using the Galerider drogue to successfully steer a rudderless boat. Practical Sailor has recently recreated his results. I encourage everyone to study their findings.