Aqua signal series 25 combo mast headache/ fore deck light bulb conversation question?

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Three years ago installed a new Aqua signal series 25 combo mast head / fore deck light. Fore deck bulb 20 watt ba9s keeps burning out. No corrosion issues in side bulb holder and no voltage drop. This is second time within 3 years that I have to replace bulb. I don't consider that it has excessive use as it is only used on weekends for about five hours during summer season. The other bulb within the unit is works fine, no issues. Last season before winter layup deck bulb worked and now after spring commissioning deck bulb out again. I'm hoping that when I go up and inspect it this weekend that it is just a lose connection, however I'm not that optimistic. We did have a lot of strong winds this winter along with snowy mix. So anything is possible.

Question:
1) Has anyone replaced this bulb with a led bulb?
2)
If so, what is the led bulb make / model # ?
3) Is it as bright as the original 20 watt bulb.
4) Any disadvantages

I'm only considering changing it to led for durability of led vs. filament bulb.
I'm thinking that vibration and exposure is the downfall to this light.
I don't want to have to keep replacing it every season. My old Aqua signal light was thirty years old and replaced the light about 3-4 times during its life. Unfortunately the bulb holder corroded out, so I replaced it.

I guess the old saying goes "they don't make things like they use to "!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Different model boat here, but this appears to be your fixture? Ours is similar, but would not call it a mast head light, but a combo steaming/foredeck light. https://www.boatid.com/aqua-signal/...mpaign=268680546&utm_content=1181975628907033

I'm assuming your fixture, like ours, is about half way up the mast. Masthead uses a different fixture and would normally be referred to as an anchor light. While you're at it I would replace the steaming bulb with an LED as well. Ditto your anchor bulb.

Replaced our foredeck incandescent bulb with this; https://store.marinebeam.com/high-powered-ba9s-deck-steaming-light-led-ba-9s-5w/ Huge difference and very bright. Unsure why your bulb keeps failing. Very pleased with the marinebeam LED bulb.

Last edited:

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Terry, thanks for the lead. I also had bulb issues but could not find an LED replacement. I did for the steaming light but not for the deck. I tried one but it would not fit the socket. I'll try this. (Note to add that this is not the original combo unit.)

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Terry,
Thanks, that link is my light , I agree that it is really a steaming/ foredeck combo light. I just called it what was in defenders catalog.

That's the information i was hoping for. I was concerned that the led bulb would not be bright enough. I believe the bulb in my light is a helogen which is super bright when it works.

Thanks again for the bulb information

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
This bulb has been a pain in the a__ ever since I installed it.
Usually have to get two boat buddies to hoist me up to change bulb. Unless my friend brings me his painter ladder which just reaches the fixture.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I believe the bulb in my light is a helogen which is super bright when it works.
Hi Robbie, our original foredeck light was also a halogen bulb; very hot and bright. Worried me that the LED I referenced above would not be bright enough. What a surprise! I actually think the LED bulb is brighter. It does the job.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I installed the Aqua Signal 25 and swapped in the LED for the deck light.
Nav Bulb Polar Star 20 Single Contact Bayonet LED
Sku#433628
Item IDDLE 8001849
B04F8CB1-3BA9-40F8-9996-CFD64C02A971.jpeg

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
An LED bulb is just a patch on the problem. You still have the same leaky lenses cover and the same corrosion-prone bulb socket. And you will continue to climb the stick to deal with it. Slather the bulb contacts with an anti-corrosion grease like NO-OX-ID as a jury rig fix. If you want a trouble-free nav light get a sealed, dedicated LED fixture.

This one is bullet-proof. Super bright, brighter than incandescent:
https://store.marinebeam.com/led-masthead-foredeck-combination-light/

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I had nothing but trouble with Aqua signal nav lights. I changed to LED bulbs and all that did was leave me without a green light, running the South Coast of LI into Narragansett Bay on a stormy night.
So, I gave up on Aqua signal and bought a set of sealed LED nav lights with integrated heat sinks and my nav lights operate every single time I turn them on.
Aqua signal is yesterday's tech.

Jan 28, 2017
O'Day 34 Suttons Bay
I'm troubleshooting the old AquaSignal 25 combo on my boat (that never worked since I bought it). With the mast down, I've cleaned all the contacts and replaced the bulbs with LEDs. Can get the steaming bulb to light and the deck bulb to light but not both simultaneously. And the steaming bulb won't light if the deck bulb is removed or non-functional. It looks like the wiring design prevents this. Can anyone confirm that or do I have some unseen corrosion to address?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not sure how you ran the wires.
I have two hots and a common ground. The switches are on the hot side. It is a 3 wire lead up the mast.
I suspect that yours is wired differently. Or you might have a broken wire inside the mast. A lot of owners screw stuff to their mast. Occasionally the screw punches into a wire and the lights go out.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Different model boat here, but this appears to be your fixture? Ours is similar, but would not call it a mast head light, but a combo steaming/foredeck light. https://www.boatid.com/aqua-signal/...mpaign=268680546&utm_content=1181975628907033

I'm assuming your fixture, like ours, is about half way up the mast. Masthead uses a different fixture and would normally be referred to as an anchor light. While you're at it I would replace the steaming bulb with an LED as well. Ditto your anchor bulb.

Replaced our foredeck incandescent bulb with this; https://store.marinebeam.com/high-powered-ba9s-deck-steaming-light-led-ba-9s-5w/ Huge difference and very bright. Unsure why your bulb keeps failing. Very pleased with the marinebeam LED bulb.
I did the thread on this Aqua Signal topic about a year or so ago.
Installed the Marine Beam bulb. No issues yet.
I won't say it's brighter than the halogen, but it's certainly bright enough. And it's a nice moonlight color. Also I think the coverage is wider and more even. The whole foredeck and even some of the dock is lit. See pics.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
I replaced my Aqua Signal fixture a few years back and while installing it discovered a cold solder joint inside the fixture for the ground wire that is shared by the two bulbs. I soldered it myself but after a few years the deck light no longer lights.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Not sure how you ran the wires.
I have two hots and a common ground. The switches are on the hot side. It is a 3 wire lead up the mast.
I suspect that yours is wired differently. Or you might have a broken wire inside the mast. A lot of owners screw stuff to their mast. Occasionally the screw punches into a wire and the lights go out.
There are some 2-light fixtures that use two wires, what with diodes somehow.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
To address the original question; If the deck light is a halogen, it must be free of skin oils when it is installed. Otherwise it will overheat in the oily spot and it will burn out quickly. If you install the halogen bulb with a cloth and wipe it down with alcohol after it is in it will last considerably longer. Using that method I have never had a halogen bulb burn out on me. Believe it or not.