April Fools megathread

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
APRIL FOOLS!

No, SBO is most definitely NOT refocusing on jet skis! But in honor of the most ridiculous day of the year we're going to share great April Fools stories this week.

They do not need to be sailing-related (but extra internet points for stories that are).

Whether you were the perp, the victim, or a witness, tell your tale below.

jack.jpg

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
A Jackalope, a friend of mine has one on his wall...rare animal.

Cheers
dj

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
If only the weather was warmer up here, and some boats were in the water. I'd walk around the docks and throw random SS screws, bent fittings, and lock nuts on people's decks. I'd spend an enjoyable couple hours on-deck watching sailors stare into the rigging to figure out what fell off.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Packing peanuts in large volume coming from the ceiling panels above someone's desk can be fun. The mechanism to release them can be as Goldberg as you want. Then again returning from vacation and finding every desk drawer and file cabinet topped off with them can look like evil retribution.

Not sailing related but may be adapted as such, and this is not an admission of guilt.
Ken

Apr 27, 2011
irwin 37 cc Punta Gorda
The Chunnel to Cuba in gthe local Key West Newspaper a couple years ago. Headline and full story caught a lot of people..
We still have a copy we show to gullibles...
Ted

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
If you say 'Chunnel to Cuba' 3 times really fast, it sounds like gullible....

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Our local paper used to do a special front page story each year. One year was a photoshopped picture of a Boeing 737 on floats taking off of our lake. It spoke of daily service. Another year a report of the Seattle Space Needle being moved to Lake Stevens. I suspect it stirred up a few people.

Ken

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
If only the weather was warmer up here, and some boats were in the water. I'd walk around the docks and throw random SS screws, bent fittings, and lock nuts on people's decks. I'd spend an enjoyable couple hours on-deck watching sailors stare into the rigging to figure out what fell off.
That's just not right......

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Well it wasn't April Fool's Day but I was helping a friend install a Strong Track on his mast. This track is cut to length precisely so that it reaches the very top of the mast and down to the sail gate. You only get one shot at this so you measure twice, or three or four times, mark it carefully and cut.
Sliding the track into the mast is a two person job- one pushing at the bottom and one pulling at the top.
I was the top person.
After the track was fully put into position, my friend asked how it looked. I told him "You have another 18 inches to go. Keep pushing."
"WHAT??" he yells! He comes running up to me, looks at the track perfectly in place, and sees me just grinning.
He swore revenge. I have been repaid with interest many times.

Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
Years ago soundings published a report that cutting holes in your props would increase speed and efficiency. They did show a study that was done by a respected DR. People were actually drilling holes in their props. The Dr's Name?

Dr Sloof L Irpa

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Several years ago NPR reported that a company was going to start projecting advertisements on the full moon using a laser. The story was told on April 1. My wife thought it was the truth. To my knowledge NPR never fessed up.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
If only the weather was warmer up here, and some boats were in the water. I'd walk around the docks and throw random SS screws, bent fittings, and lock nuts on people's decks.
In PA and in NY we have moved April 1 to late June for just that type of chicanery!

nat55

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 1979 Gulfstar 37 BELFAST
Several years ago NPR reported that a company was going to start projecting advertisements on the full moon using a laser. The story was told on April 1. My wife thought it was the truth. To my knowledge NPR never fessed up.
My favorite was the NPR April 1st story a few years ago about the whale farm in Kansas!

"RAY STUBBS: Nothing's really wasted. I mean, you know, nothing goes to waste. I think it's great. You know, it's good eating. We get oil for heating and lighting. And the skeletons, we can use those skeletons for doing home improvements. I built a back porch using some whale bones the other day."

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102618951

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I think I'll channel my softer gentler side today...
"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons.” -Ruth Ann Schabacker

Maybe have yogurt or quiche for breakfast.. No maybe I'll make it. Fresh.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
While driving through a large neighborhood with my sister in our teens, we would drive a block, stop, drive a block, stop... Getting annoyed with this, I said, exasperated, “Joanne, the stop signs with the white borders are ‘optional stop’ in residential areas! For God’s sake, just keep going!” She did... She happily blew through the next couple of stop signs! I could not help it, I gave in and told her the truth! She still remembers this, 35 years later.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
My favorite was the NPR April 1st story a few years ago about the whale farm in Kansas!

"RAY STUBBS: Nothing's really wasted. I mean, you know, nothing goes to waste. I think it's great. You know, it's good eating. We get oil for heating and lighting. And the skeletons, we can use those skeletons for doing home improvements. I built a back porch using some whale bones the other day."

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102618951
Y’all really should click on the link and read it. Dang that’s good stuff!! :beer:

Oh, and did y’all hear about the new diet food developed especially for Eskimos?
-
-
-
Fat-free blubber