Applying Dalys Seafin oil to teak...

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
Our interior teak is in really good shape. Today we cleaned all the teak surfaces with no-scratch sponges and a spray bottle filled with water plus one teaspoon of murphy's woad soap and 1/8 cup of white vinegar. Once cleaned, everything was wiped down with a wet microfiber cloth, followed by getting dry wiped with a separate dry microfiber cloth. Afterwards we left our dehumidifier on continuous for the next 18 hours.

Even though the interior teak didn't look dirty before, it does look a little brighter now. The boat smells super clean and fresh as well. I'm glad we cleaned, but the oiling part is where I need a little advice from other Hunter owners.

Our owners manual recommends Dalys Seafin which we've already purchased. My question is how are most applying this oil to teak that already looks good, and are just trying to preserve as opposed to restoring the wood finish. My concern is with foam brush application of the oil running with the vertical surfaces. Do most just use a microfiber cloth, or foam brush followed by hand rubbing with a cloth, or something else altogether? Any teak perfectionists willing to share their expertise?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Put the oil on a cotton rag and rub evenly onto the wood surface - after 4-5 minutes(oil absorption stops) wipe with a "clean" cotton rag - as this rag absorbs oil - use for 1st wipe and new clean one for 2nd wipe.

Feb 13, 2004
Hunter 37.5 Plattsburgh, NY
I agree with Leslie. That's the way we do it, also. The Daly's has kind of a strong, not too pleasant smell, so ventilate well during and after.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
If your teak is in good shape I would do lemon oil instead of the Daly's.

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
The teak is in good shape, but it's eighteen years old and I have no idea when the previous owner last treated it. It looks really good but it is dry. In the fall I may just do lemon oil, but right now we are essentially trying to "zero the odometer" on all maintenance issues on our boat. For us that means full teak clean without stripping, and using the same oil spec'd in the owners manual.

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
Follow up...

We used stain applying sponges, did a large section at a time letting it sit for 15 minutes and then removed with stain applicator cloths all purchased at home depot. We kept a couple of damp microfiber cloths on hand to wipe away any oil that got on anything other than wood straight away.

Couple of notes...

1. Daly's Rocks! This is by far the nicest easiest teak treatment I've used. However it does as was mentioned earlier put out some fumes. Having every hatch open makes the job far more pleasant. This wasn't always easy with the rain. We ended up working on this over several days doing 3 hours of work a day.

2. 30-60 minutes after finishing even though we thought we had rubbed out all the finish sitting on top, the odd little spot of finish comes out. Before finishing for the day taking a half hour break and then going through the newly oiled surfaces on the boat with a new bone dry staining cloth again will result in a much better final job.

3. Maybe it's because we've run a high powered dehumidifier all winter during this brutally wet BC winter, but our wood was really dry even though it looked good. We ended up oiling all surfaces twice using the above technique. The whole boat looks like new down below now with a warm glow but not glossy appearance to the wood.

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Hunter 380 Cape Coral, Fl
I have used on my 17 year old wood inside my Hunter 380 , Rejuvenate for wood floors and cabinets ( Home Depot). Its linseed oil and a light poly urethane, basically. Seems to be working well. The oil and urethane are absorbed into the wood. Has brought back a shine to the wood where the sun hits the inside of the cabin. Apply with Micro fiber cloth. Dries quickly. After 3 or 4 applications ( do it instead of normal cleaning/polishing/dusting) and you have basically a new finish applied. I use it on the Teak and holly sole also. No bad smell.

Regards,

Viper

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Good work but....
:worthless:
well maybe not worthless, but we'd love to admire your results.