Apostle Islands/Lake Superior Picture Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
AMF Alcort Paceship PY26 Washburn Wi. Apostle Islands
So, where exactly is this island supposed to be...?? Was there a minute ago..!!

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
No that's Stockton, we were racing the fog to Quarry Bay and missed it by 20 minutes.

First time in the fog, longest 20 minutes of my life....

Then I remembered I have a chartplotter and I know where I am...(it's those other guys I gotta worry about...)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
No that's Stockton, we were racing the fog to Quarry Bay and missed it by 20 minutes.

First time in the fog, longest 20 minutes of my life....

Then I remembered I have a chartplotter and I know where I am...(it's those other guys I gotta worry about...)
Thats awesome. Pia was there with Kestrel at Stockton.... she took almost the same picture! They spent the night at Presque Isle...

tsheie

Jan 9, 2012
San Juan 7.7 Bayfield WI
Jackdaw said:
Thats awesome. Pia was there with Kestrel at Stockton.... she took almost the same picture! They spent the night at Presque Isle...
Hi-- you folks must have been just ahead of me--I was hustling to get around the end of Basswood before I got eaten up by the fog bank.. But what a beautiful day of sailing...!!

Attachments

Nov 21, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 First 260 Bayfield, WI
Hi-- you folks must have been just ahead of me--I was hustling to get around the end of Basswood before I got eaten up by the fog bank.. But what a beautiful day of sailing...!!

Yes gorgeous day! and once we were through the fog bank, sunny beautiful on the other side.

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
Reviveing an old thread, but I'm finally getting out to some of these places to take pictures...

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
Yep, Justice Bay

Wind blew us all the way out there, and then we find out Sand Island was closed due to bear issues...So we didn't get to go ashore or check out the lighthouse...

Worth the trip to go out there again sometime though...

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Beneteau 393 Bayfield, Wi
Yeah, we heard about the bear problem. When were you out there? We were up for the last week and a half, stellar week with great winds.

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
Came up Thursday for the fireworks, (anchored on long Island and missed the coasty party) then stayed till Sunday...

Wind was super, stepped on three new islands (making it 10) and "saw" all the islands but Eagle and Devils this trip...

Usually I'm just up on the weekends...

Nov 8, 2010
Way to kick some life into the Squidd!

Last week was Bayfield Race week. Amazing week of racing and parties. Here's Kestrel leading a pair of J/boats to the windward mark.

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
Yeah, I saw the race boats... but I was impatient...so I just went around them...;)

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Beneteau 393 Bayfield, Wi
Allegro?
Yup. Brian and Allegro are directly across the dock from us. I thought it might be fun to see what his boat is made of. It was a good day to be aboard, good wind and Pete was there to coach us through. All new crew that had never sailed together before and we pulled in 5th place, smack in the middle of the field. I was just out that Monday but we sailed through the course a time or two. We saw you out there ripping it up.

Nov 8, 2010
Dan,

That's great. The 4100 sure is great looking boat. It's also nice to see the huge growth in the mid-distance fleet at Race Week. It lets boats get out and work mostly on boat speed, and less on W/L tactics and maneuvers.

It's our 2nd year racing Kestrel and we're getting dialed in. The racing fleet is hugely competitive. A bad start or a blown maneuver and you're spat out the back.

Nov 8, 2010
This secluded little bay is well off the beaten track, and perfect place to drop a lunch hook with any southerly breeze blowing. I never see boats here, and its a shame. Private beach with great sand holding. Here Kestrel shares her hook with some friends. Where is it??

Status
Not open for further replies.