Apostle Islands/Lake Superior Picture Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Bayfield, WI
DannyS, Jackdaw and I have been having fun posting pictures of our favorite anchorages of the Apostle Islands and trying to guess the locations.

DannyS suggested we open up the thread to everyone so here it is and I am going to start with another of my favorites.

Attachments

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Beneteau 393 Bayfield, Wi
I'm gonna guess we're still in the islands and this is looking out from Sand Island lighthouse???

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
DannyS, Jackdaw and I have been having fun posting pictures of our favorite anchorages of the Apostle Islands and trying to guess the locations.

DannyS suggested we open up the thread to everyone so here it is and I am going to start with another of my favorites.
What a great idea.... After Bayfield Race Week, a weekend of decompression.. 5AM sunrise in Big Bay..

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
AMF Alcort Paceship PY26 Washburn Wi. Apostle Islands
These are great...Keep 'em coming...

Looking forward to exploring the area next summer

Nov 8, 2010
These are great...Keep 'em coming...

Looking forward to exploring the area next summer
Here's Kestrel, Cool Change, and what I first thought might be Emmanuel for a dinner stop at Quarry Bay...

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Those pix are not at Sand Island. They're at the mainland sea caves just around the bend east of Cornucopia. Here are a couple of shots at the same place in the winter.

Attachments

Jun 9, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Bayfield, WI
Here's Kestrel, Cool Change, and what I first thought might be Emmanuel for a dinner stop at Quarry Bay...
Nope, not Emmanuel but close! My sail cover is white and my UV cover on my headsail is blue. That boat does look familiar though....

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Here are a couple from when I was on the fall flotilla sail in 2010.

RaftUp.jpg <-- South Twin Island. POTL you probably recognize one of those boats. Its Jolly Swagman coming in to raft up, trailing the tender.

LightHouse.jpg You all should know this one...

HeadingOut.jpg Can get dreary out there too....

Corny4.jpg Docks in Corny....

Nov 8, 2010
I WISH I had ANYTHING to do with the creation of these shots. But I don't. Full credit to the Friends of the Apostle Islands. You can support their efforts by buying prints.
http://www.friendsoftheapostleislands.org/

Outer Island Lighthouse and the Milky Way

Raspberry Island Light

DannyS

May 27, 2004
JD, those are some gorgeous photos (I know, not yours, but thanks for sharing). Got me thinking of all the lighthouses around the islands, I bet Outer Island LH is the least visited. Anyone here actually been there?

Nov 8, 2010
JD, those are some gorgeous photos (I know, not yours, but thanks for sharing). Got me thinking of all the lighthouses around the islands, I bet Outer Island LH is the least visited. Anyone here actually been there?
Thanks Danny. You're right I'd guess, Outer is the hard one to get to. I sailed by it many times, but often in the RTI race and no time to stop.... but Kestrel draws 7.25', so the docks would be a non-starter anyway. Been to the spit on the south end many times, but the 11 mile round-trip hike never interested me enough to head off.

Jun 9, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Bayfield, WI
Danny-
Years ago I was with some friends on a chartered 30' O-Day and we made it to the northern end of the island and somehow got the anchor down in all those rocks. Made it to shore and up to the lighthouse. It was not open for tours that day but I still have a pic somewhere of our group there. Like Jackdaw I have been to the spit on the south end and really like it there.
The picture below was taken at Raspberry Island last summer. We were anchored north of the sand spit and at about 11:00 am this storm rolled in from the west. It was brief but the first blast of wind that hit us heeled us at least 30 degrees.

Attachments

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Princess, that storm looks familiar, we had this one bear down on us as we were trying to get out of the islands in early August. We were heading to Canada's Thompson Island, great way to start! It didn't last long but it was a strong one...gusts to 40 knots! We rolled up our headsail, double reefed the main and just kept going. It was kindof funny watching 5 or 6 other boats in the vicinity looking a bit confused about what to do, they all ended up running for cover. We felt like studs toughing it out, it was actually really fun because we were prepared for it.
JD, have you heard of the Lake Superior Solo Scramble? I ran in the inaugural running two summers ago. It runs opposite the Trans-Superior. It has two start lines, one in Bayfield and one in Duluth. Both start at 5:00 pm and sail all night out to a designated waypoint (different waypoints for each start), then turn and sail back to Silver Bay, 100 miles total length. I finished about 12:30 the next day. Potluck meal at the clubhouse in Silver Bay then head back at your leisure the next day. You should think about doing it this upcoming year. It is a solo event so it's all about you.
Princess, if you're still in the area, there's no rule against women in this event, it'd be fun to have the female side represented!
I posted a photo of my course.

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Good onya for that race Danny, I looked at the site and saw the conditions were a bit brisk. Is that your actual plot? If so talk about favorable wind! I think Kestrel would be up for that kind of action; she's fine soloing.

Jun 9, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Bayfield, WI
Danny-
I wonder if that was the same storm because that is about the time we were up there too. By the way, you are studs for handling the storm that way. It is exactly what I would have done.

I am quite intruiged about the solo scramble race and you know, if I am still here I might do it. I think it would be a hoot. I am gonna have to get my autopilot fixed first though. One thing I have always wondered, on a solo race like that how do you handle breaks for food and nature calls? Leave Otto on and head below?

Nov 8, 2010
One thing I have always wondered, on a solo race like that how do you handle breaks for food and nature calls? Leave Otto on and head below?
Princess my dear - We are GUYS. We don't head below when nature calls!! ;^)

Status
Not open for further replies.