Anyone Tried These Motor Mounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Witz, I replaced the r&d with a Sachs damper plate that has springs. I also made it to my boat and I have the motor mounts like paulj has.
Boy I'm confused, wouldn't be the first time.
The holes on the mounting plate are completely different as well as the diameter is much smaller. Did you use a different
Sachs other than the #1866--50-002?

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Boy I'm confused, wouldn't be the first time.
The holes on the mounting plate are completely different as well as the diameter is much smaller. Did you use a different
Sachs other than the #1866--50-002? /quote]

Witz, I used a Sachs Damper Plate #10 1866 061 001. Bolt holes lined up perfectly. ;)

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
RP, not sure what the torque specifications for that plat is, but below is a excerpt from the discussion concerning my replacement. Maine confirmed the proper Sachs part # of 1866-050-02. The entire thread can be found at:
http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=113844&highlight=damper

Maine Sail 11-17-2009 03:15 pm Witz,

I just made a call to the distributor who ships the engines to Catalina and whom I get my Universal/Westerbeke parts through.

The R&D damper plate was stock, and factory, however according to the distributor "We had nothing but problems with them and most of them failed and some caused more damage than good"

I never knew Universal used anything but Sachs but apparently they did try some R&D's...

The spline fit was most likely spot on but as it failed it began to eat at the splines. The replacement Universal/Sachs damper plate is a Universal part number U-299156. I had them pull it off the shelf and read me the part numbers. The Sachs number is a 1866-050-002."

Ray, my point here is that you may be experiencing increased vibration due to a plate that is too stiff. It is the damper plate's function to smooth out rotational vibration that is present in light fly wheel low cylinder count engines like ours.

Sep 29, 2008
Number Crossed Over

Spot on fit. Only at low rpms does the motor vibrate on its mounts. I can hear it up topside and not near the motor, so I am back to thinking it is something else.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Spot on fit. Only at low rpms does the motor vibrate on its mounts. I can hear it up topside and not near the motor, so I am back to thinking it is something else.
The part number you used 1866-061-001 is not the one that crosses to the Universal # U-299156, the Sachs 1866-050-002 is. When I did the investigation to figure out which plate to use, I talked with Jim the owner of Federal Marine Transmission http://federalmarinetransmissions.com/
and he indicated that even though it was a form fit the 1866-061-001 was too stiff for our motor. Whether or not it really makes a difference, only time will tell. These motors are known to idle rough, mine does below 1000. If you don't have, or can't get the shaft aligned in the center of the tube you will get shaft slap against the tube that you will hear from the cock pit. Blocking up the mounts will stiffen up the system and help with this problem.

Sep 29, 2008
Parts

Witz, the part I used was recommended by the distributor in Seattle (MER). It fit and he did state it would be a bit rougher and noisier. I do like your idea of a block under the motor mounts to raise them up. What thickness did you use? I have some extra pvc board that might work (3/4" thick).

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Depends on how much you have the adjustment raised up to get your alignment in. I used 3/4" marine plywood on the front ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.