Registered users don't see ads

Anyone know of a used 28ft mast for a macgregor 26

Discussion in 'Ask A Macgregor Owner' started by reicon99, Aug 9, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. reicon99

reicon99

Joined Aug 9, 2018
    4 posts, 0 likes
    Macgregor 26D
    Serenity US St Paul Mn
    I missed clearing a bridge by 3 inches where the St Croix and Mississippi rivers meet near the Twin Cities last Sunday and would like to find a used 28ft replacement mast preferably within about 500 miles. I also thought about repairing mine by cutting out the kink but then my mast wout be about 3 inches shorter.

2. FDL S2

FDL S2

Joined Jun 29, 2014
    112 posts, 33 likes
    S2 7.3
    US Fond du Lac
    Cut 4" off so you'll always clear the bridge....

But seriously, shortening the mast is probably the best and easiest way to go. Transporting a 28' mast is a pain and I don't think a mast will be cheap if you find one. It's a fractional rig, right? so you would only have to shorten the side and back stays and not have to worry about the jib. You may have to lower your gooseneck, but maybe you'll get lucky there.

3. reicon99

reicon99

Joined Aug 9, 2018
    4 posts, 0 likes
    Macgregor 26D
    Serenity US St Paul Mn
    Well the kink is about 1/2 way down the mast so I would have to cut it out there and install an internal sleeve and rivet or weld the mast to the sleeve. I have a rack on my pickup for transporting something as big as 28ft so that is not a problem.

4. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    8,982 posts, 2,271 likes
    Beneteau First 36.7 & 260
    US Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
    Just wondering, what bridge did you hit? I though they all have a clearance of about 24 feet when closed.

5. FDL S2

FDL S2

Joined Jun 29, 2014
    112 posts, 33 likes
    S2 7.3
    US Fond du Lac
    Got it, I was thinking it was at the top. There are a couple on eBay tht you would have to research to see if they would work for you.
    This is in Illinois:
    https://m.ebay.com/itm/Catalina-25-Sailboat-MAST-MEASURES-28-1-OFF-1978-FRESHWATER-/152602281224

6. Stan Breaux

Stan Breaux

Joined Feb 8, 2007
    135 posts, 7 likes
    Catalina 36 MKII
    US Pensacola Beach, FL

FDL S2 likes this.
  7. vegassail

vegassail

Joined Oct 5, 2013
    6 posts, 0 likes
    Macgregor 26D
    US Lake Mead
    I had a similar accident, through with a tree instead of a bridge.

A new mast from BW Yachts costs $595, plus another $500 for packaging and freight

Did you figure out how you're going to fix your boat?

8. reicon99

reicon99

Joined Aug 9, 2018
    4 posts, 0 likes
    Macgregor 26D
    Serenity US St Paul Mn
    Well, I found a couple on C L for around $200. A couple C Scow 30 foot and a prindle 17ft. I still plan on cutting out my kink and installing a sleeve or?

9. reicon99

reicon99

Joined Aug 9, 2018
    4 posts, 0 likes
    Macgregor 26D
    Serenity US St Paul Mn
    I sure would like to found out contact info for an older user called Alibaba that had one and he lived in PA.

NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.
Sunbrella lifesling covers
Any color, fits over existing bag to match your existing canvas.
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.