Anyone have experience with Totalboat bottom paint?

Sep 19, 2016
Caliber 33 Sebastian, FL
Planning on parking my 23.5 in a slip for a couple of months so I figure I need to finally paint the bottom. There's not much of the original bottom paint left. Just a few patches here and there. Anyone have experience with this stuff?:
http://a.co/d/0NR0fRN

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
See what other people at the marina are using and see what works. It really varies a lot based upon what your water has growing in it.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
+1 Here in Florida my boat is in a canal. 100 yards difference can mean one bottom paint works but the same stuff further away doesn't.

Oct 30, 2011
Hunter Cherubini 27 Mason
Up here in NH, I've use Underdog with excellent results. no growth as far as barnacles or heavy algae build up. what I did have was just a green slimly feel to the bottom, scrubbed right off with a stiff bristle brush

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Make sure the anti fouling properties do not dry out after boat is out of water for a specific period of time. It sounds that you would be pulling out for the winter. That is one issue to look at

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Hunter 23 Nashville TN Percy Priest lake
I use underdog for 3 years now and have loved it. Nashville TN area. Great easy to use product. Their barrier coat is great too. Their polish is great the wax is great. Boat cleaner is great. Topside paint was very impressive stuff.
Basically all total boat products I have used have met or exceeded my expectations. Very friendly and helpful on the phone.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Look st the anti fouling properties. There are some paints that the anti fouling properties dry out if the boat is left out for more than 60 days

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Hunter 23 Nashville TN Percy Priest lake
Just call them they're seriously nice and knowledgeable people.
I forgot the gleam spar varnish was effortless to use and the Halycon too. They have a varnish primer that works great too.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Planning on parking my 23.5 in a slip for a couple of months so I figure I need to finally paint the bottom. There's not much of the original bottom paint left. Just a few patches here and there. Anyone have experience with this stuff?:
http://a.co/d/0NR0fRN
The description says this is a "single season" paint. Is that what you are looking for?
FWIW, My latest issue of Practical Sailor praised their copper-free Krypton paint

Sep 19, 2016
Caliber 33 Sebastian, FL
The description says this is a "single season" paint. Is that what you are looking for?
FWIW, My latest issue of Practical Sailor praised their copper-free Krypton paint
To be honest, I don't really know. I took a single season to mean one year. Does it really mean The boat will only be in the water for a couple of months during the Florida winter and then trailer sailing the rest of the year. I figured that, if this becomes an annual thing that I'd have to repaint every year.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Some paints use their effectiveness once they are on the hard. Some are multiseason, meaning you can take them out of the water. I use HydroCoat because we haul out every winter and i don't want to repaint every year. The VC17 crowd does the annual paint ritual.

Sep 19, 2016
Caliber 33 Sebastian, FL
One of the bullet points in the marketing literature reads:
  • Boats can be launched up to 18 months after application. Water-activated ablative formula deactivates on dry land and reactivates when launched.
Sounds like what I need right?

Jan 19, 2010
One of the bullet points in the marketing literature reads:
  • Boats can be launched up to 18 months after application. Water-activated ablative formula deactivates on dry land and reactivates when launched.
Sounds like what I need right?
Another trick is to apply two coats of different color. That way when the undercoat starts to show, you know it is time to touch up. AND you can see where the touch up is needed. But you won't ever have to do a complete paint job if you touch up seasonally.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
How do they reconcile the 2 comments? Does it mean it is effective for one season of in and out of the water usage? i.e. trailering? Do you have to reapply every (single) season? Is the effectiveness on the clock once it is first activated e.g. 18 months after application? Who wrote their marketing?

• Excellent single-season antifouling protection for fiberglass and wooden boats in salt and fresh water.

Jan 19, 2010
How do they reconcile the 2 comments? Does it mean it is effective for one season of in and out of the water usage? i.e. trailering? Do you have to reapply every (single) season? Is the effectiveness on the clock once it is first activated e.g. 18 months after application? Who wrote their marketing?

• Excellent single-season antifouling protection for fiberglass and wooden boats in salt and fresh water.
I'm guessing they want some cover for the angry boat owner who pulls his boat two years later and finds grass growing on the bottom of his boat. A trailer sailboat does not need as much protection as one that sits in the slip year round.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
then trailer sailing the rest of the year.
Ablative paints and trailers do not go well together, but not for why you'd think, the coating is meant to "wear away" and does so rather immediately when the bunks touch the hull. If you're going to trailer most of the time, consider a hard coating.