Anyone have dimensions of Catalina 27 head sink/cabinet?

Aug 5, 2015
Catalina 27 Baltimore
Hi everyone!

My 1976 Catalina 27 was part of a racing fleet for many years and as such was stripped down pretty thoroughly over the years. I'm not particularly interested in racing so I've been working to make her back into a more comfortable cruiser to stay aboard for multiple days at a time.

The next project I'd like to tackle is to build a counter/cabinet in the head where I can mount a sink and add some storage for toiletries and supplies. Something kind of like this, but larger.

I was wondering if anyone on here has the dimensions of the interior space in the head area of the mid '70s Catalina 27 handy. Or, if you have the dimensions of an existing counter or cabinet in a Catalina 27's head, that'd be even more helpful!

Through my job I have access to a whole suite of CAD and solid modeling software so I'm hoping to use that to play around with different designs in order to maximize the space and make it more easy to build and install. Of course I can't get started with that without first having the dimensions of the space that I'm working with so hence my post.

If anyone can either give me some measured dimensions or point me to any cad drawings or detailed Catalina 27 layout plans it'd be a huge help!

Thanks in advance!
-Joe

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Hi everyone!

My 1976 Catalina 27 was part of a racing fleet for many years and as such was stripped down pretty thoroughly over the years. I'm not particularly interested in racing so I've been working to make her back into a more comfortable cruiser to stay aboard for multiple days at a time.

The next project I'd like to tackle is to build a counter/cabinet in the head where I can mount a sink and add some storage for toiletries and supplies. Something kind of like this, but larger.

I was wondering if anyone on here has the dimensions of the interior space in the head area of the mid '70s Catalina 27 handy. Or, if you have the dimensions of an existing counter or cabinet in a Catalina 27's head, that'd be even more helpful!

Through my job I have access to a whole suite of CAD and solid modeling software so I'm hoping to use that to play around with different designs in order to maximize the space and make it more easy to build and install. Of course I can't get started with that without first having the dimensions of the space that I'm working with so hence my post.

If anyone can either give me some measured dimensions or point me to any cad drawings or detailed Catalina 27 layout plans it'd be a huge help!

Thanks in advance!
-Joe
Ultimately you will need to get a tape measure in there for an accurate dimension but this should give you a place to start

Attachments

Aug 5, 2015
Catalina 27 Baltimore
Thanks, that diagram will be a good help! Next time I'm aboard I plan to take detailed measurements but I figured I'd see what I can get while I'm here at work to get some sort of designing started.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
When I did mine, I found that a neat tool in laying things out in real space was a roll of masking tape. No kidding.... I used it to create "wireframe" models of the shapes I was considering... Right there in the head. It allowed me to interact, (a very tiny bit) with my design, seeing how much space it consumed and how the human element would interact.

See my build thread here: http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=123450

Page 2 has the head build

Aug 5, 2015
Catalina 27 Baltimore
Oh, that's a great idea. I might get some tape and go aboard this evening and start laying ideas out...

I'm looking through your build thread now, great stuff there also.

Thanks!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The original config had the head sitting on a ledge angled into the corner. I relocated my new head to face 90deg to center by extending the ledge. Then I built a sliding shelf, cabinet, sink unit that will pull out over the toilet seat area. In real life I rarely use it as intended. I brush my teeth with the cabinet retracted and spit into the toilet...

The angle set up was an attempt to get enough leg room so a door could be installed.... but I'll tell you this..... there is not enough room any way.. With the locker on the opposite side of the head it's better to make it one big space.. I have seen mods where a sliding door was installed between salon and head/locker area... and a shortened bifold door between vee berth and head....

All this said... there is really no privacy per se in this size boat... so I would shoot for comfort. That would suggest simply having partition between salon and the head/locker area.

If you build a shower, I think a wrap around curtain, rather than hard doors would make more sense.

I suggest you go to www.catalina.org and look for owner mods articles. You'll also find some brochures from different years that may help inspire you.

When re designing the head... figuring out the plumbing is the most important thing. Some models had the holding tank under the vee berth, while my dinette model had it under the forward settee... very convenient to the through hulls, etc. I added vented loops to my system and ended up putting them on the inside of the head so the Y valve could be operated from inside the head. It's very functional, but it isn't especially pretty... tho I like it. The pic shows the cabinet pulled out over the toilet. It retracts under the overhead shelf so the toilet seat can be raised.. but the faucet can still be used in the basin. The basin drain line is tee'd into the toilet's water intake line, emptying directly into the bowl.

Attachments

Last edited:

PSR

Sep 17, 2013
Catalina 27 4743 MB Yacht Harbor, Richmond CA
On the Yahoo! IC27A group ericcutting@ymail.com is parting out his damaged C27. He had taken the head sink shelf = what you linked to and I think it's still available in case you are interested.