Anyone going to Vancouver or Seattle Boot Shoe?

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
I'll be going to the Vanc Show to look at engines, hopefully Fri if I don't have to work, otherwise Sat.

druid

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
"Boot Shoe".....
You Cannucks and your silly accents:poke::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Nope. What kind of engine do you want in your re-power? New, rebuilt, size?

Our first boat came with a Yanmar 2GM. Great little engine, hard to start when cold, but it did always start. Our current boat has a 4JH2-TE. Wonderful engine. No matter the temperature, it fires right up on the first crank, and no glow plugs. Our generator engine is a three cylinder Kubota with glow plugs. That one always fires up, but usually after two short cranks. Both are marinized tractor engines. There are good and reliable online sources for rebuilt marine engines if that is of any interest.

Gene S

Nov 29, 2015
Delphia 37 Tacoma
I'm going to the Seattle show to look at heaters and solar panels. Also to make fun of the Vanc Hunter dealer that seems to always motor down instead of sail.

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Nope. What kind of engine do you want in your re-power? New, rebuilt, size?

Our first boat came with a Yanmar 2GM. Great little engine, hard to start when cold, but it did always start. Our current boat has a 4JH2-TE. Wonderful engine. No matter the temperature, it fires right up on the first crank, and no glow plugs. Our generator engine is a three cylinder Kubota with glow plugs. That one always fires up, but usually after two short cranks. Both are marinized tractor engines. There are good and reliable online sources for rebuilt marine engines if that is of any interest.
See my other thread: http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/yanmar-vs-universal.176512/

I put a 2GM20 in a Crown 28 and was not too happy. It WAS "rebuilt" rather than new, but it wasn't as easy to start as the Universal (Kubuta) M-25XPB I put in a Catalina 36. So now I'm looking at a Beta 25, although I haven't totally ruled out a Yanmar 3YM20...

druid

Guan

Jul 18, 2011
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Vancouver
If do come call me 7782396299 get you n yyours free entrance if need!
Have a coffee!
Guan

druid

Apr 22, 2009
First, thank you Guan and nice to meet you!

Got a lot of things done there:
- Bought an engine (not really - they'll send me the invoice on Monday...) (see other thread)
- Bought a Nova-Kool fridge unit for the icebox. Nova-Kool is built right here in Burnaby, so I got to talk to one of the Real Guys. Sounds like it's not going to be a Big Deal to get it installed, and I'd be able to move the portable Waeco fridge I have sitting on the nav seat now. AND they threw in a free hat! :)
- Bought $75 worth of books about Desolation Sound and the Broughtons. Great for dreaming! I got to talk with the author and voice my complaint about the BC Coast being called the "Inside Passage".
- Saw a wooden dory somewhat similar to what I'm building and got to talk to the builder. Nice to see how it's REALLY supposed to be done!
- Got some advice on why my Wabaso furnace isn't "putting out" like it should.

I was disappointed but not surprised there were NO sailboats on the display floor (OK, a Hobie cat and a kayak with a sail...). Also concerned but not surprised you're supposed to hold the 300 hp, 500 lb outboard on your transom with FOUR BOLTS.

So, definitely worth going!
druid

Dec 25, 2000
Hi Druid, glad your going was worth doing. I'm happy with my 5HP Mercury outboard hanging on the transom rail. Sort of easy to mount and dismount from the dinghy by hand. I've worked out a procedure that seems okay. As I get older though, things are becoming more difficult.

My boating buddy acquired a female crew for the cruise to Princess Royal Island this past season. She is from Sechelt and just bought her first sailboat, an Alberg 22. Another to get bitten by the sailing bug.

I've been through and around Desolation and the Broughtons a number of times. Wonderful cruising venue. Feel free to pose any questions. Always good to have a dream that some day you make come true.

Guan

Jul 18, 2011
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Vancouver
Druid,
Didn't know you were buying up the place! Could have help u carry!
Sorry had to rush off. But anytime if ur around .....cheers
Guan

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Thanks again Guan, and I just may take you up on the offer of sailing to Pender Harbour - sure beats the ferry lineup! :) And I didn't actually carry ANYTHING (except the books). I have a piece of paper I paid $1000 for, and a promise of an email. But yeah... typical Boot Shoe visit - one day at the show, 6 months to pay off the Visa. ;)

druid

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
There was a sighting of the "love boat" bartender Ted, who looked, as Ralph said, "well preserved".

Gene S

Nov 29, 2015
Delphia 37 Tacoma
I went to the Seattle show today. Got some ideas for solar, heat and sail clean up. Took the shuttle to lake union. Went aboard the new Hunter 37. Wow, its nice. Most sailors are always on the lookout for their next former boat.

Dec 25, 2000
Have not been to a show in years. Went to some when we were looking for our current boat. Looked at many brands and sizes. Kept coming back to Hunter for their value, style and quality. We've had our current boat since 2002 and have really enjoyed the experience. Hunter did a grand job in the design and building of the P42. No regrets here.

Dec 25, 2000
I went to the Seattle show today. Got some ideas for solar, heat and sail clean up. Took the shuttle to lake union. Went aboard the new Hunter 37. Wow, its nice. Most sailors are always on the lookout for their next former boat.
Hi Gene, did you happen to notice the Mukilteo Yacht Club booth? We usually have one each year. We've been a member for many years, but have not been as active lately. Nice small social club with maybe 150 members, two thirds of which are stink potters.

Gene S

Nov 29, 2015
Delphia 37 Tacoma
Hi Gene, did you happen to notice the Mukilteo Yacht Club booth? We usually have one each year. We've been a member for many years, but have not been as active lately. Nice small social club with maybe 150 members, two thirds of which are stink potters.
No I didn't. There were a lot of yacht clubs there but I wasn't looking for one.

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
Hunter Legend 35.5 Tacoma, WA
Went to the Seattle Boat Show last weekend. The Admiral is a bit of a collector, so we picked up lots of freebies and good info. Some of the more interesting things that I found are
Rescue tape: Permanently bonds and seals hoses, cables and other items for a watertight, airtight seal. I bought three rolls for emergency repairs on the boat and the cars.
Fridge Optimizer: Fan and controller that goes into your fridge to circulate the air and eliminate warm and cold spots. Prevents frosting up of the cooling plates and reduces energy consumption.
Propspeed: Coating for your propeller and other underwater surfaces that provides a slick surface ocean creatures can't adhere to.