Any Yacht Brokers Here?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@John Tubb

There was a time I thought of going into sailboat building but now manufacturers are struggling and with the amount of used boats for ale, I would not recommend this route plus the vogue of sailing is decreasing as were are a fast pace of life and many prefer power boats. Frank Butler and Warren Luhrs, owners of Catalina and Hunter respectively, use to involve me regarding construction of new and upgraded boats which I still confere with mfgs today. Unusual but it happened. The cost of building and coming up with a certain amount of boats to be sold to cover costs for example the molds is very expensive alone.

There is room to sell and of course knowledge of sailboats and sailing is most important. Anyone can become a broker but there is an art to it that book learning will never teach. It is that art I use to teach to others which is why with new dealers I helped with. Previously I touched on that. If Simon wants to contact me I have sent him my number

However if a person could buy used boats cheaply and refurbish the boats to like new, that is where someone could make a profit particularly retirees.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
@John Tubb
However if a person could buy used boats cheaply and refurbish the boats to like new, that is where someone could make a profit particularly retirees.
Exactly, a job for retirees indeed!

This can only work if your time is worth nothing. The reason is, you can buy a worn-out Catalina 25 for $2000, spend 500 hours and $5000 refurbishing it, and now have to sell it against a well maintained one that is offered for $7000. That's called a 'going out of business plan'.

The corollary to this is ALWAYS buy the best example of a boat you can find, not the worst.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
IF you look hard enough there are steals for good used boats out there. I made a living doing that. It is how and where to look plus how to buy the parts/repairs. Sorry Jackdaw but this is one area I know but again in many cases you are right which is why one has to be careful when buying a good clean boat and not a junker.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
IF you look hard enough there are steals for good used boats out there. I made a living doing that. It is how and where to look plus how to buy the parts/repairs. Sorry Jackdaw but this is one area I know but again in many cases you are right which is why one has to be careful when buying a good clean boat and not a junker.
Hey Dave!

Sorry but pretty sure you did not make a living doing that. You were a successful boat dealer, who used his shop resources and connections to occasionally find a decent, under-priced boat that you could put limited time and money into, and flip. If I'm wrong let me know, but I can't image that you would recommend 'making a living out of that' to anyone that needs to feed and shelter themselves on that activity.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I was able to flip the trade ins but of course I got parts at discounts and had an excellent crew who knew what they were doing. I use to give a one year warranty on those boats and usually had a waiting list as lessons were included as well.
I use to have folks that got my name generally trying to sell their boats but often to high. I made a deal calculating on what I could sell the boat for and of course the costs again doing the above as well. If I made more than what I thought it would sell which was often the case, the excess funds went to those that I purchased from which was a win-win case.
The other was negotiating for the best price but at times I had to walk away. As for junkers, I did walk away.

Last edited: