Any Yacht Brokers Here?

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Hey everyone,

Good morning! It's been a while since I've posted anything on here; life has been somewhat unforgiving in terms of providing me with extra time. One of the things that has kept me so busy is school, and in one of my classes we had a project assigned to us that required we contact at least three people who are currently or have been involved in the career we want to pursue. Well, I wanted to start a sailboat building company, so I called several people, including one guy who actually started a company called Valiant Yachts here in Texas for the same reasons I wanted to. I'm not going to go into detail, but I'll just instead say...he changed my mind, and so did the other guys. So I kept looking for careers that involved sailboats, and finally found one that sounded like it'd be pretty fun: Yacht Broker. I'm really eager to learn more about it, so if anyone here is a Yacht Broker, please reply back and tell me more!

God Bless,
S.S.​

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Simon, not to be discouraging, however, go over to CruisersForum.com and search threads on Yacht Brokers. Comments there will encourage you to become a used car salesman. They seem to be held in higher esteem.

There are some exceptions and a good broker is worth his weight in gold a poor one, is worth his weight in something, but it won't be gold.

@Crazy Dave Condon here on SBO used to be in the business.

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Simon, not to be discouraging, however, go over to CruisersForum.com and search threads on Yacht Brokers. Comments there will encourage you to become a used car salesman. They seem to be held in higher esteem.

There are some exceptions and a good broker is worth his weight in gold a poor one, is worth his weight in something, but it won't be gold.

Thank you @dlochner , I will definitely take that into consideration!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Simon,
I am sorry to read that you are moving in another direction. Perhaps it is for the best, I don't know. Dave Condon is probably your best resource here. Other appealing career options in sailing might be induction, charter, rigger, surveyor and deliveries.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I would think that teaching people to sail would be more beneficial than selling a boat. There is nothing more rewarding than watching someone "get it". How the face brightens up when one finally finds the groove and they are really sailing the boat, not just letting the boat go where it pleases.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston

I believe @Crazy Dave Condon was a dealer not a broker.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Simon

I used to own a major sailboat dealership and was considered a darn good salesman often asked by Hunter to talk with new aspiring boat dealers how to sell.

There was a time being a builder you could make a decent living but not anymore. I use to make my brokers to pretend buying a used car from used car dealerships and then tell me what they did not like about used car salesmen afterwards. Then I told them my way. Be yourself, honest and ask the question what did they want to do with the sailboat. Saves a lot of time looking at every bost out there. Also pay attention to both asking/answering questions. I also found in one way or another somethingbof common interest helped the relationship. Above all if you do not know the answer then say so and you will find out. You will gain the right to sell a boat to those folks

Feel free to send a private message

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
One way to look at sales: Find out what your customer wants and help them get it.

Another way to look at sales: Do whatever it takes to get the money out of their pocket and into yours... where it belongs.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Most brokers I know worked their way up to doing that; gaining a tremendous amount of personal knowledge about sailing, boats, companies, players etc. This depth of info is vital to being successful. I suggest approaching a marina with a brokerage and get a job doing whatever, and let them know you're interesting in selling boats.

There IS a national accreditation for yacht brokers, the CPYB
http://www.cpyb.net/aws/CPYB/pt/sp/home_page

They support on-line training for brokers. The package is $700. Taking and passing that would show a large degree of commitment.
http://yachtbrokerinstitute.com/

PS - Barnacle Bill is one of the biggest sailboat brokers in the Midwest. Wait and see it he responds.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yacht Broker... no more a seat of our pants opportunity. Some one had to go and quantify it, label it, and then start to make money off individuals who just want to be part of the "good life".
True American Entrepreneurial Spirit meshing with the Culture of Certification.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Benny
So true dealers borrow money to make the business work. They had to learn to make money to pay back the loans and interest. So we had to learn and I was successful. I ran out of space for the sales awards

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Like any thing in life, especially a career direction getting first hand experience is important. If you truely wanted the career in boat manufacturing you could look into internships with either Huntet or Catalina or others. I get it that young people have big dreams and us old farts struggle to see big dreams with fresh wide eyes after 20+ years. For school it is about discovery and learning how to learn.

Don't cut off a dream or idea just because of some feedback. Take that info and log it and modify that dream and work toward an idea you like.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Be careful picking a career in sailboats, if you're passionate about sailing. You may find yourself sidelined with work during the season and sailing very little.

I have friends that are brokers. Unlike building or caring for boats, selling them seems more flexible of sailing time. It's a tough way to make a living, like getting into Realestate, but harder! One broker friend (no longer in the biz) knows more about boats than anyone I've ever known. Do you want to know boats that well? :)

On the bright side (I'm a dangerous optimist), we are full into a new era: A huge and growing surplus of used boats for sale. A tough market to sell, most brokers don't want much to do with the bulk of these boats for obvious reasons ($). Owners are at a loss for what to do with some pretty good boats going into worse condition due to not finding buyers.

Some new methods (creating a new market?), could turn this problem into a niche for a young broker?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Do a google search for boat building schools. There are quite a few. Also look into a book called "From a Bare Hull". I forget the author but it was one of the first building books I read. Then get a book by Raul Parker "The Sharpie Book". It is a great read.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I always thought there was a niche in the sailboat buyer's market. For higher-end buyers with no idea of what sort of boat they should buy, just the dream of owning a yacht, one could spend a week or so with them and really learn what they'd like a boat for, then go out and find them the best boat to suit their desires.
I never got around to it as I prefer to operate boats than sell them, but it could be built into a sweet little business, I believe.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Do a google search for boat building schools. There are quite a few. Also look into a book called "From a Bare Hull". I forget the author but it was one of the first building books I read. Then get a book by Raul Parker "The Sharpie Book". It is a great read.
Ferenc Mate, also wrote “Best Boats to build or buy” and “the World’s Best Sailboats” 1 & 2.