Any suggestions on how to enlarge Cockpit Table on 2006 Hunter 38?

Sep 30, 2008
Hunter 356 Maple Bay, British Columbia
Hello all,
We are looking at a 2006 Hunter 38 and are wondering how we could enlarge the cockpit table as it is quite small (not even wide enough to accommodate two dinner plates on each side). We currently own a 356 and the table is wider than on the 38. We can comfortably seat 4 people for dinner in our cockpit on our 356 and would like to be able to do the same on the 38.
We noticed one picture of an enlarged table in the "Modifications" section but no details of how it was built.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

Oct 30, 2011
Hunter Cherubini 27 Mason
I recently enlarged the cockpit table on our 27'. Use the original table as a pattern for hardware mounting locations and make a new table. If you do not have the woodworking skills to do so, take the original table to a custom cabinet shop and have them make one. Its a very simple and straight forward job.

Sep 30, 2008
Thank you to all who replied. I just posted pictures of the table.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2007
Hunter 45cc Florida
check out the table extension I made for our boat. It is removable so it does not interfere with cockpit space when not in use. I made it using starboard and pvc clamps. Look for the pictures under 45cc mods

Sep 30, 2008
Looks like you did a nice job. Unfortunately, our table arrangement is different and it wouldn't work for us. I think finefurn has the right idea. We'll probably be going that route. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Happy Sailing!

Sep 30, 2008
Good suggestion finefurn! I think we'll be following up on this. Thank you. :)

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
wondering how we could enlarge the cockpit table as it is quite small (not even wide enough to accommodate two dinner plates on each side).
Add a drop leaf to each side. Two pieces of matching wood and a couple of locking hinges and/or slides to hold the leaves up and voila--a table that's twice the size when you want it to be, not in the way when you're sailing. Or you can replace it with one that has drop leaves. I've seen some that even have cup holders.

Oct 30, 2011
Finefurn...I'm wondering if you could include some pictures of your table?
Welcome to the forum . I'll get down to the shop later this week and take a few pics of the table top. I did increase the length a bit from the original and added cup holder cutouts. At some point this year I'm going to add some drop leafs as Peggy Hall suggested. One thing about owning a sailboat is that, You will never again be able to honestly say "I have nothing to do"

Oct 30, 2011
Cockpit table 4.JPG Cockpit table 1.JPG Cockpit tab;e 2.JPG These are some pics of the cockpit table I built for my H27, I increased the size slightly to 13"w x 25"L and added 4 cutouts for drink holders. If I were to do it again I would increase the width approx. 15"