Any S2 8.0 Center cockpit owners or previous owners around

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I could not stand by and let this '75 S2 26 Mid, shoal draft (no CB) get chopped up for scrap so it's in my driveway. Lee has two names for it so far, "Regret" and "TOPOSS" (This Old Piece of Sh#t Sailboat). I've got a few questions.
1) Did the main salon/galley area have a subfloor over the fiberglass? I can not see where the lower pedestal mount for the table would have been. There is no marks on the fiberglass in that area.
2) Is there an easy way to get to the toe rail bolts (nuts) without tearing down the headliner? The headliner in this boat is probably the only thing that stood the test of time except one small spot.
More to come I'm sure.

Apr 14, 2014
S2 8.0a 26' Cape Coral, FL
1. Yes, the sole was a 3/4 piece of ply which was laminated over with glass the center running forward and aft rested on top of the keel which is reason it feels so solid when your standing in the middle. The sides of the sole were glassed to the hull. On either sides of the keel under the sole there are voids which as far as i could tell were air tight. I had water sitting in these voids so i installed access plates on both sides to remove water and for inspection. The tattle tails for where the table would have been mounted were probably on the flooring which is apparently gone but i'd bet the screw holes in the sole are still there.
On my 8.0a, the the toe rail nuts were underneath the carpet glued to top and sides of all cabin areas. I ripped all of the carpet out and went with gelcoat. Not a fun job in any respect.

P.S. you should tell Lee (she?) just made it a little harder to move from deck hand to first mate;)

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2014
S2 8.0a 26' Cape Coral, FL
Do you have any soft spots in cabin roof or cat walks? places to check would be around mast base, chain plates, bow plate, stantion bases.
Btw, congrats on taking the plunge. I recently competed my project boat after 2.5 years. Shes now on the water and sailing weekly.
Check my albums for some of the work i did.
Poke around on this site for some info...
http://impliedconsent.us/Welcome.html
and here - http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=511

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Do you have any soft spots in cabin roof or cat walks? places to check would be around mast base, chain plates, bow plate, stantion bases.
I tapped just about the entire deck and paid special attention around any openings before I bought the boat. I found two places, one bolt under the toe rail and an area around the forward lower chainplate. After pulling the chainplate the core was good. I drilled some 5/32 holes in the area around the toe rail and bad core extends about 1/2" from the bolt hole, very localized. There is no flex in the deck anywhere. This is the first old boat that I've messed with that has no problems under the mast step. We're lucky, we didn't want to go through what you did. The headliner carpet is perfect except where that bolt hole through the toe rail was bad and it's the correct color for my wife's interior plan.

This boat spent about half it's life sitting on a well supported trailer in the desert. It hasn't been near the water in over 15 years. We still anticipate spending over 6K (no charge for our labor) to get it back to our standards and into the water.

Thanks for the info.
Admiral Lee Diane and Boatswain Mate Rick