Any Pictures of Tiller Pilot Installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cabby

Jan 14, 2011
Oday 25 Santa Cruz
Hello All,

I recently picked up a used Autohelm 800 tiller pilot. I am looking to install it and thought I'd check here to gain from your experiences of installing a tiller pilot, especially if done in an O'day 25. I am curious on how you attached it to the actual boat tiller. I am also wanting to see what you did when installing the "brass pin socket" in the cockpit seat. Did you support the socket with any kind of block on the underside of the seat?

I do have the instructions from Autohelm, but the details in that document are more related to the location of mounting the unit.

Thanks

Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
I just installed a raymarine st1000+ on my 22. Because of the width of the beam I used the cantilever bracket mounted to the vertical bulkhead (extends out 5 inches) just above the seat, and a tiller bracket mounted on the underside of the tiller (drops down 2 inches). I was concerned about the brackets being in the way but they are not.

This setup means I did not use the brass socket or the tiller pin.

I meant to take pics but forgot my camera (and, um, my cell phone only makes phone calls, go figure) maybe I'll get some shots this weekend and post them.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Hello All,

I recently picked up a used Autohelm 800 tiller pilot. I am looking to install it and thought I'd check here to gain from your experiences of installing a tiller pilot, especially if done in an O'day 25. I am curious on how you attached it to the actual boat tiller. I am also wanting to see what you did when installing the "brass pin socket" in the cockpit seat. Did you support the socket with any kind of block on the underside of the seat?

I do have the instructions from Autohelm, but the details in that document are more related to the location of mounting the unit.

Thanks
Cabby,
I started out many years ago with the Autohelm 800 and I loved it. It worked great for many years until it finally started to malfunction. So I called the factory and they told me that they couldn't fix it because parts are no longer available for it. After that I went out and bought the Autohelm 1000 ST+ and it's OK, but it's not as good as the 800.
I didn't have the heart to throw the 800 away, so I gave it to my friend Walter who was an electronics technician in hope that he could fix it and use it on his boat. He passed away that following year.

When I first installed the AH 800 I didn't want to spring for the pricey pedestal so I made my own out of a Bronze pipe with two threaded flanges. I did a lot of measuring and decided to pop a hole into the fuel compartment cover on the Starboard side. I mounted one of the flanges on a piece of Teak and bolted it to the inside of the cover to receive the pipe. Then I mounted a square piece of Teak to the other flange and screwed it on to the pipe permanent. Then I drilled a hole into the Teak for the brass receiving end that the pin from the AH fits into. Years later, I cut that square piece of Teak into a round piece to make it look a little better looking. It's still ugly looking but it still works.

The reason why I chose the fuel locker to mount the pilot is because I very seldom ever need to access this locker, but I'm forever having to access the Port lazarett locker for my buckets, ropes, tarps, and Etc.
I think that if I had to do it over again I would have made the pedestal out of something other than bronze and it's really not too late for me to do that, but I'd still want it mounted on the fuel compartment cover because water and rain can get into it and it drains out into the cockpit but most of all it's out of my way and I enjoy sitting on the Port side when I sail my boat even on Starboard tacks.
In all sincerity, if my AH 800 was still working today, it would be still on my boat because I think it worked a heck of a lot better and quieter that the ST 1000 +. I have a Standard Voyager Horizon VHF radio on my boat that I bought at E&B Marine back in 1987 and it's still working but it needs a new volume Potentiometer. I won't part with that radio unless it's terminal and can't be fixed.
Joe

Attachments

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Hello All,

Thanks
You need the pin that goes into the top of the tiller. If your tiller is straight, you can drill a hole into the tiller per the dimensions in the owner's manual and epoxy it in place. The pin needs to be mounted a certain distance from the pintals and also at the same angle of the pintles on the transom.
If your tiller is bowed, you can buy a special bracket that can be attached to the bottom of the tiller with the pin mounted to it.
The good thing about the AH 800 is that you can adjust the arm length by unscrewing it. The newer models require extensions which are extra.

Jun 12, 2010
Finally got some pics. I meant to take one on the inside where the cantelever base attaches showing the 3/4in plywood support, but forgot.

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
Ken Graci- Is the black piece that extends out from the seat back permanent or detachable?

Rich

Jun 12, 2010
Ken Graci- Is the black piece that extends out from the seat back permanent or detachable?

Rich
It easily unscrews leaving just the base plate. I remove and stow it, not because it's in the way, it's so far aft on the seat under the main sheet that no one ever sits there anyway, but the piece cost $70 so I'm not going to leave it out!

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
It easily unscrews leaving just the base plate. I remove and stow it, not because it's in the way, it's so far aft on the seat under the main sheet that no one ever sits there anyway, but the piece cost $70 so I'm not going to leave it out!
The ram extension runs about $25.

Jun 12, 2010
The ram extension runs about $25.
I looked at all posiblle combinations for my setup and to keep the unit level (which it should be) I could not mount it on the gunwale. Of course what I needed to make it work was also the most expensive. :cussing:

I've seen a lot of pics on the internet of homemade fixes too, some looked pretty good. The important thing is strength, there can be a lot of force on the tiller at times. The raymarine brakets are very sturdy.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I looked at all posiblle combinations for my setup and to keep the unit level (which it should be) I could not mount it on the gunwale. Of course what I needed to make it work was also the most expensive. :cussing:

I've seen a lot of pics on the internet of homemade fixes too, some looked pretty good. The important thing is strength, there can be a lot of force on the tiller at times. The raymarine brakets are very sturdy.
The one thing I can say about the bracket I made for my Autohelm is that it's strong. It just looks ugly.
I don't know what I would do if I didn't have an autopilot. Last Thursday when I was sailing back from Bristol RI, it started to sprinkle and the wind was behind us so I lowered the Mainsail and covered it. Then I put my tarp over the boom and tied it to my lifelines and poled out my Gennie with the whisker pole. Penny and I stayed relatively dry all the way back to the club. The autopilot made it real easy to do these things.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
The tiller pilot sit about two inches above the gunnel. The pin botoms out on the brass socket. It surprised me how high the unit sits off from the gunnel. The pin it inserted into the top of the tiller, which you can adjust by just how far you put the pin into the tiller. It should be pretty close and small adjustments can be made by raisiing or lowering the tiller handle, assuming that it swings vertically (most do). I belive it only has to be within 5-10 degrees which is a lot of tolerance. I have heard the concedrn that the pilot may go overboard, it doesn't and is teathered by the power cable so it's not going to far anyway..
I'm a big believer in KISS the simpler solution is usually the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.