Any opinions on A/C units

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
The 6000 BTU unit that services my aft cabins needs to be replaced. It looks like my choices are MarinAire (not marine air), Webasto or Dometic. The Dometic unit is the most expensive and runs about $400 more than MarinAire. Is it worth the extra $ ?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I have the predecessor Dometic units for going on 21 years on our J/boat. Three Lunaire units.

One thermostat replaced once. One topping up of a refrigerant leak from a valve (probably when someone checked it abou 7 years ago and didn't close it completely).

Answer, for me, YES!

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I installed a Dometic Turbo a few years ago. Yup, IMO it was worth the $$. Very easy, very low power draw.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
+1 for the Dometic Turbo. I love their control panel too as there are lots of user configurable options. Great if you like to tweak things.

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
Thanks for the replies. 9k btu is the smallest unit that flagship carries, so that's out. Marinaire has a bunch of bad reviews elsewhere, so that's out. That leaves webasto and dometic. I didn't know about the Dometic turbo - now that I do, nice unit but I think that's out of the budget. I'd love to do the turbo but these are aft cabins that will only be used at night a few times per year. It has to be between the Dometic enviro and the webasto fcf

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Marineair and Cruisaire were acquired by dometic. The Dometic ECD appears to be a Cruiseaire legacy model, so if you currently have a cruiseaire, this may be a direct replacement. The Dometic Turbo looks an awful like the old Marineair AC . I would go with the system with a local dealer/service.

Replaced a cruiseaire with a Dometic Turbo 3 years ago, it is quieter and a bit more compact. The plastic no -rust condensate pan is an improvement.