Any Laguna 30 owners out there?

Apr 18, 2008
O'Day 34 Fairfield Harbour, NC
I'm looking at a 1986 Laguna 30, and would like to get some feedback from current owners. Not a lot of info in the net. The review from Good Old Boats was very encouraging. Anybody care to chime in?

Apr 1, 2017
Laguna 30 Newburryport
Hi Bilgewater. I just bought a 1985 laguna 30 yesterday. Its in pretty good shape, although a little dated (nothing lots of money won't fix LOL) . Its getting trucked to the marina next week, ans should be on the mooring by the end of April. I'd like to hear about any upgrades, areas of concern, etc too. Like you I checked the internet and didn't find much. I'm a total noob to this sailing thing too, although I've been around boats a long time. I'd like to hear what you've learned so far as well.
Smooth Sailing,
#1Sleddog

Apr 10, 2017
Islander 36 Puerto Penasco
Hey, Me too. I bought a 1987 in Michigan. We live in Tucson Az. But spend most of the summer in Mich. We got a smoking deal on it. Only needs a little work. LOL. I reallly like the layout of it and am heading ther in a couple weeks to get her ready to put back in the water.

Apr 1, 2017
Laguna 30 Newburryport
Awesome - congrats. Looking forward to comparing notes and seeing pictures! Mine will be delivered to the marina on Friday. Then it'll be on stands for a week or so while I bottom paint and clean it.
Been watching Sailrite videos on reuphostering the cushions and I'm heading to get 35 yards of upholstery material from an old friend that does big commercial jobs. Best part - its free!! Now to figure out how to sew - hmmm...

Apr 10, 2017
We are doing the same with the interior. I have a copy of good old boats article on the Laguna. If you don't already have it you can download it. I'm am painting the bottom and I think that I will replace the cutless bearing and install a pss dripless shaft seal. I put one on our Islander 36 and it's great. Looking forward to some pics and I'll do the same

Apr 1, 2017
Laguna 30 Newburryport
The boat got to the marina on Friday. I just finished prepping and applying the antifouling to the bottom. Good thing my nose isn't itchy, cause I don't think I could reach it right now.
Here's a pic of it on the travellift

Apr 18, 2008
O'Day 34 Fairfield Harbour, NC
Best of luck on your new boats. I passed on the Laguna and bought a for real "turn key" O'Day 34.

Apr 1, 2017
Laguna 30 Newburryport
Well its been a busy couple weeks and I haven't had a lot of time to work on the boat, but here's the latest:
I've been working on the engine electrical system. Lots of corroded connectors to deal with. I've been using De-Ox-It 100 and some scotch-brite to clean the lugs, and replaced a few as well. I finally bought a quality crimping tool instead of that cheezy yellow handled wire mauler I've been using for years. Turns out the Laguna was wired with a couple serious flaws. There are two connectors that are highly susceptible to corrosion. Mine were pretty bad. Also, some of the wiring is grossly undersized and uses inline fuse holders that are really not for the marine environment.
Theres a great web article along with repair help at http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/universal_wiring_harness_upgrade

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Good for you. Wiring issues usually come from poor connectors plus corrosion. Nothing immediately dangerous. The builder gets stuff working at the cheapest price possible in a lot of yachts. Only it doesn't last. A few upgrades and corrections can save you a lot of heartache.

Apr 1, 2017
Laguna 30 Newburryport
Replaced my starter and solenoid this weekend. The old one was shot. I brought it to a rewind shop and the owner agreed that it wasnt worth fixing. He hooked me up with a brand new starter and solenoid for a fraction of the price I found anywhere else. Turns out my Universal M-18 starter cross refs to a kubota tractor part. I had read that on the web, but im usually pretty skeptical about stuff.
I had the gentleman at the shop check out my alternator since I needed to remove it to get the starter out. He cleaned it up and replaced the bearings in it - it rolls really nice now.
Put the key in the ignition for the first time. 60 seconds on the glow plugs and the motor fired right up! I'm stoked!
Anyway, this weekend it'll be oil and tranny fluid changes and an inspection of my raw water pump. Have any of you used the run dry impellers Ive seen on the web? Are they any good ?

Apr 10, 2017
What a week. Just sanded and painted the bottom. Buffed out the hull. The wife scrubbed the inside and teak oiled all the wood. Changed the impeller and stuck the hose in a bucket of water and she fired right away. Had to put a new seacock and stained in. I don't no how the boat never sank on the previous owner. The seastrainer was cracked and held together with silicone and duct tape. Precision sails is making a new main and hopefully splash it and take it from Detroit to her new home in Port Huron Michigan the end of the month.

Attachments

Apr 1, 2017
Laguna 30 Newburryport
So I just finished my ASA 103 sailing class. We spent weekend sailing around Boston Harbor - great time. I feel a lot more confident now about taking the boat out. I'm a bit behind getting her in the water though - spare time has been tough to come by.
I did buy new halyard line for both the jib and mainsail - I don't know what shape the lines on the mast are in, and with 4 sheaves on the mast head I figured it wasn't worth having the mast stepped and having a hassle.
The new mainsail arrived a couple days ago. I haven't unpacked it yet, but I'm psyched it's here.
I got two new fire extinguishers and some flares, so I'm set with required stuff. I think I'm ready.....we'll see.

Apr 10, 2017
So I just finished my ASA 103 sailing class. We spent weekend sailing around Boston Harbor - great time. I feel a lot more confident now about taking the boat out. I'm a bit behind getting her in the water though - spare time has been tough to come by.
I did buy new halyard line for both the jib and mainsail - I don't know what shape the lines on the mast are in, and with 4 sheaves on the mast head I figured it wasn't worth having the mast stepped and having a hassle.
The new mainsail arrived a couple days ago. I haven't unpacked it yet, but I'm psyched it's here.
I got two new fire extinguishers and some flares, so I'm set with required stuff. I think I'm ready.....we'll see.

Apr 10, 2017
Where ha s the summer gone? Congrats on your 103 and new sail. I also had to get a new main. I ordered it from precision sail in Canada. It is nice. It got here just in time to move the boat from Detroit up to Port Huron Michigan. What a ride going up Lake St Clair. It was blowing 17 and gusting over 25. Both sails up on a beam reach and I would spill a little off when it got too gusty. With a following sea on the port stern it made for a very fast trip. Took lots of pics of the gps at 8 pluse knts. Have fun

Dec 4, 2017
lauguna33 classic 33 wilmington nc
I have a laguna 33 similar to the 30 but think they tried to spruce it up a little. I found alot more data on the 30 then I did my 33 I have the buyers book for mine and few other motor booklets and info but like you said there is not much to go by.

Apr 1, 2017
Laguna 30 Newburryport
Well congrats on the purchase of the 33 footer! I’ve been really pleased with mine this year. I’ve learned a bunch and didn’t die, so all in all a good rookie season.
I covered the boat for the winter by making a frame with plastic electrical conduit and a tarp I cut up. The frame came out great, but I’m pretty sure the cheap tarp I bought won’t survive the winter. A couple guys at the marina have canvas covers they had made by a pro - that’s where I’d like to go. Not really into all the shrink wrap, it’s expensive and not very environmentally friendly.
I’d love to see pics of your boat as well as the buyers guide. Post up some of the specs. What size motor etc.