Registered users don't see ads

Any alternative to Rig-Rite for Amiot replacement hardware?

Discussion in 'Parts Search' started by Rosetta Stone10263, Nov 21, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Rosetta Stone10263

Rosetta Stone10263

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    12 posts, 0 likes
    Beneteau 440
    US Syracuse, NY Clayton, NY (1000 Islands) NY
    Nothing but crickets from Rig-Rite. I've been trying to find out if my traveler car can be repaired and if not, what the recommended replacement would be. I've tried email, fax and phone. I did get a person on the phone that instructed me to email pictures. Never heard back. Now all I get is automated voicemail. I've got a Beneteau 440 with Amiot 8 wheel traveler with 4:1 purchase. The toggle is missing. End boom MWL at 50 kts is estimated to be 4293 lbs. My track is the 32mm I-Beam, so I'm thinking Harken's 32 mm high load car would work fine as a replacement. Harken's rating is 4500 lbs with a 9000 lbs breaking load. Can anyone concur that my logic is not flawed? Thanks - John.

2. Alan Gomes

Alan Gomes

Joined Nov 22, 2011
    538 posts, 63 likes
    Ericson 26-2
    US San Pedro, CA
    Why not contact Garhauer and see if they can custom fabricate something for you? I had them custom fabricate a part for a fraction of the cost that Rig Rite would have charged.

Dave Groshong likes this.
  3. JRacer

JRacer

Joined Aug 9, 2011
    589 posts, 120 likes
    Beneteau 310
    US Wichita, Kansas Cheney KS (Wichita)
    Check with Harken. When I had to rebuild my traveler on my 310, they told me that their stuff would not work on the Amiot system. Maybe I got bad info but that's what they told me. Replace the whole thing or nothing. I ended up making repairs by fabricating parts and locating suitable substitute parts to replace the worn out stuff - fairleads, sheaves, cleats, etc. I've never had good experiences with Rig-Rite.

4. Joe

Joe

Joined Jun 1, 2004
    6,165 posts, 196 likes
    Catalina 27
    US Mission Bay, San Diego
    AFAIK... Harken stuff is proprietary.... cars are exclusive to Harken track. I second the call to Garhauer Marine.

5. Rosetta Stone10263

Rosetta Stone10263

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    12 posts, 0 likes
    Beneteau 440
    US Syracuse, NY Clayton, NY (1000 Islands) NY
    Thanks to you all for your advice. Calling Garhauer. John

6. tedsbeds

tedsbeds

Joined Feb 4, 2007
    80 posts, 0 likes
    - -
    US Somerset,

7. uncledom

uncledom

Joined Jun 11, 2011
    778 posts, 90 likes
    Hunter 41
    US Lewes
    John, I had Garhauer manufacture a replacement Amiot I beam style aluminum traveler for my Bene 35s5. It was drop in perfect. They will tell you how to measure and will recreate a modern solution that fits and works. I can't say enough good things about them. Glad your already sold on the idea.

8. Dan_Y

Dan_Y

Joined Oct 13, 2008
    397 posts, 31 likes
    Hunter 36
    US Hampton
    I have purchased several items from Garhauer. A few years ago I wanted a boom car that was an improvement from the one rig rite sold for our '90 h30. Talked to Garhauer about fabing one (simple SS plate with pressed fit axels) and they said they were not interested. They didn't say why.

9. NYSail

NYSail

Joined Jan 6, 2006
    1,569 posts, 45 likes
    Beneteau 423
    US Mt. Sinai, NY
    I second the call to Garhauer. Great product with excellent customer service and great pricing. For my last boat I upgraded all stanchions and blocks with their products and when upgrading on my new boat will do the same. Rig Rite has not so friendly customer service.... when I called them last it seemed like I was bothering them.... sort of like a take it or leave it attitude. So I will leave it and send my $$ somewhere else.

Good Luck!.

Rosetta Stone10263 likes this.

Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
Sunbrella lifesling covers
Any color, fits over existing bag to match your existing canvas.
Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates