Antifoul on Inflatable Dinghy? Yes or No

B-to

Dec 17, 2018
Beneteau OC 41.1 Sag Harbor
I have a new inflatable (PVC) dinghy with a fiberglass bottom that will spend the summer in the water tied to a dinghy dock to shuttle back and forth to boat on a mooring in Northeast. Will trail dinghy for short day trips behind boat and ideally would like to store on cabin top for longer trips. Past dinghy was a lot of work keeping the bottom clean during the season and at year end. Should I put antifoul on a dinghy kept in the water for the season? If so, how is it storing the dinghy on a deck or folding up at end of the season and storing in a bag for winter? Any brands better or worse for this intended use? Any other considerations I should be thinking about? Trying to decide which is lesser of two evils (cleaning barnacles periodically vs dealing generally with antifoul).

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
[QUOTE="B-to, post: 1504253, member: 143581" Past dinghy was a lot of work keeping the bottom clean during the season and at year end[/QUOTE]

You already know the answer...

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Have you thought about an antifouling wax? VS721 BOTTOM COAT I haven't tried it, but it looks like it would be a good compromise between the antifouling paint and scraping.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
I would check out if the anti-foul paint would damage the PVC that remained underwater. If you can't apply it to the underwater PVC you will still have to clean.

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
Like Head Sail mentioned, you wouldn't use typical paint that you'd put on a boat. I used AquaGuard paint made specifically for inflatables last season. It worked well.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
he said it had a fiberglass bottom, so on that part most any antifouling would work- On the PVC, I have zero idea, but I wouldn't. I've used it on Hypalon , no problem

B-to

Dec 17, 2018
Beneteau OC 41.1 Sag Harbor
Appreciate the the responses, I would use an antifoul paint approved for PVC and Fiberglass, like an AquaGuard or Pettit Inflatable Antifoul at and below the waterline. I will look into the wax, curious if anyone on this forum had any experience with it. Otherwise, looks like I will go with an antifoul of some type.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
I've used the aquaguard for years on our dinghy that stays in the water in the harbor - works well, and sticks well to the boat - not a problem when you deflate and roll it up for the winter

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 380 Los Angeles
I have been using an ordinary auto paste wax on the bottom of my inflatable for a couple of years. In case any one cares, most everything wipes off with a cloth even after a couple of weeks in the water.:beer:. I'd rather spend time doing 12 oz. curls than cleaning the bottom of the dingy.:cowbell:

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
IMHO, the only viable option to applying a durable anti-fouling paint or coating if the thing must stay in the water at a dock is to haul it out weekly to clean the bottom. In the long run, it will be less work than a biweekly cleaning schedule or repeated applications of “temporary” coatings.