Registered users don't see ads

"Anti-Osmosis Protection Paint"

Discussion in 'Ask All Sailors' started by Lee Hadjiosif, Nov 12, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Lee Hadjiosif

Lee Hadjiosif

Joined Apr 14, 2010
    136 posts, 1 likes
    Beneteau 381
    US Herrington Harbour South
    Looking to buy a 7 year old 42' Jeanneau Sun Odyssey. One of the comments in the listing is "Anti-osmosis protection paints applied February 2017." I never heard of an anti-osmosis paint!!! I know of anti-osmosis epoxy barrier coat after removing all paint and sanding gelcoat...but not just paint over paint. Does anyone know if this makes sense and whether It should ring a bell about blister problems?
    I will contact the broker and ask but I need to be prepared for whatever explanation he gives me. I suspect he will tell me "not to worry...everything is fine"...But if it doesn't make sense...it cannot be good. Thanks.
    Lee

2. Don S/V ILLusion

Don S/V ILLusion

Joined Sep 25, 2008
    4,807 posts, 139 likes
    Alden 50
    US Sarasota, Florida
    I would assume it's a fashionable way of describing barrier coat but there are people here more familiar with some of the current advertising jargon.

3. FastOlson

FastOlson

Joined Apr 8, 2010
    841 posts, 48 likes
    Ericson Yachts Olson 34
    US Portland, OR Portland OR
    Sounds dubious. I wonder how many snakes were sacrificed in pressing out the oil?
    :)

4. Dalliance

Dalliance

Joined Oct 6, 2007
    574 posts, 47 likes
    Hunter 1982 H30 Cherubini
    US Chicago (Burnham)
    I agree. Sounds like epoxy barrier coat. It may indicate there were blister issues or it may just be good preventative maintenance. As always, you should get a thorough marine survey before making an offer.

5. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    5,744 posts, 332 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    @FastOlson
    Did you mean snake oil? As for the actual snakes particularly the cotton mouth, I use to carry Mr. Cotton Mouth which was a 12 gauge sawed off shotgun for protection in certain areas I had to go to in N C as a dealer. Once diving under a Hunter 38 for the third time finding no warranty issue other than to report to the owner he went out of channel again scraping a little paint off not warranty related, I was swimming back to the dock ladder when the marina operator came running with a shot gun to get out. As it turned out a very large cotton mouth was berthed in the slip next to that boat. I saw the remains and it was the largest I had ever seen and by the Grace of God I am still alive.

6. justsomeguy

justsomeguy

Joined Feb 20, 2011
    5,644 posts, 522 likes
    MacGregor, Island Packet 35
    US Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
    Poor snake didn't have to die...

7. JamesG161

JamesG161

Joined Feb 14, 2014
    1,842 posts, 263 likes
    Hunter 430
    US Waveland, MS
    Most marine bottom paints are not semi-permeable, so therefore anti-osmosis. Epoxy is among those type paints.

I think my paint was anti-slime, anti-snake and anti-shark combined.:waycool:
    Jim...

8. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    5,744 posts, 332 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    @justsomeguy
    If that snake had bitten me, well I could not give Kermit a hard time plus you as well. It was that big and very much surprised as not as aggressive as others.

@JamesG161
    I got the perfect paint. No paint as no boat except for the one boat being pulled by a car in the 160th scale as in N scale model railroading.

JamesG161 likes this.
  9. justsomeguy

justsomeguy

Joined Feb 20, 2011
    5,644 posts, 522 likes
    MacGregor, Island Packet 35
    US Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
    We probably wouldn't have noticed a difference in the timeline. :biggrin:
    All lives matter.

Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!
Merriman pedestal control head
Finally, an aluminum replacement for this YS Merriman part.