Another Weds photo day

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Nice shot, Charlie. Birds, here's an AUKLET.

She came into our harbor this summer. We get few visitors that come by water, but those that do, are usually interesting. AUKLET is a Bolger Glass House Chewbacca. Such an unusual boat, I had to check it out.
Auklet 1.jpg

AUKLET is owned by a woman that single hands her way up and down the coast of Maine. She had the boat built and has converted it to a junk rig to make it easy to handle and reef when alone. She came in under sail and Yuloh (kind of oar). Solar panels, an ice box, ample water tankage, a composting head, AUKLET is a self contained bird.

Shemaya, the owner (port side) met a friend(she met a few friends) over several days at our docks. They were having a great time catching up.
Auklet 2.jpg

Shemaya showed me all the custom additions that make the boat easy for her to handle. She has an outboard (Torqueedo I think), but rarely uses it.

Very interesting, friendly and capable woman. https://sailingauklet.com/tag/phil-bolger/

This Heron showed up on the docks at the same time. Somebody from the film school used him as a model.
Heron_.jpg

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
There’s Block Island (behind the curtain of fog). I dropped sails before entering the fog, because we were very close to the Salt Pond entrance and I wanted to stay focused on keeping watch and navigating the busy, narrow channel.
FC10105C-A294-49A5-8281-0AB558BA0824.jpeg
1838549D-0994-4E2D-AEC1-219028030091.jpeg

Last edited:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
View attachment 144607
August dawn in Stoninton, CT
Larry, do you keep your boat in Stonington Harbor? The reason I ask is we're planning to join the Alden get together at Mystic Seaport in late July. An owner that is organizing the event is planning something at the Stonington YC.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Yes Tom. Stonington is a great place, and I could go on at length about it. If you're going to keep with a group agenda there's not much to say, but I'd recommend allowing time on your own. Some of the reasons we like it:
  1. Beautiful colonial era town with well-preserved houses, cute shops and good restaurants. A nice place for a walk (you'll love it from what I know about your design/build tastes). Take away the wires and paved streets, and it probably looked much the same 300+ years ago. Nicer than downtown Mystic and much quieter, but the hustle and attractions of Mystic are nearby.
  2. Near Mystic, and a short cab/Uber ride to provisioning
  3. 2-4 hours sail to Block Island (usually beam reach in the prevailing SW winds)
  4. Protected day sailing, nice harbors and lunch anchorages nearby in the Fishers Island Sound. Check the charts for East Harbor, and West Harbor on FI, the east side of Ram Island in FIS (horses roam there), and anchor and swim/dinghy ashore on the north side of Napatree Beach in Litle Narragansett Bay near Watch Hill.
(Edit) - PS Jan and I would love to meet you when you're there.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2016
Ranger 29 Bayside, Maine
Not so long ago (2005) I was one of a group that kept our boats on wood cradles (the one in the picture I built right under the boat), There were six of us keeping our boats by the seawall in the main park at Bayside. We'd launch and haul them off the beach using a contracted backhoe. That practice has now died away completely. I miss the camaraderie some but not rocking and unrocking the cradles so they would not float away, and also the extra time spent launching. The boat under the tarp is my prior boat, Blue Parrot a Ranger 23 (and named by and once owned by Dave Evans), best small boat ever IMHO!
Boatwreath.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It was Thursday evening, and I was siping the last from my wine glass when I stood and saw this beautiful end to a winter day on the boat.
Forgive me if it is not a Wednesday photo.

The Olympic Mountains at sunset, from Port of Everett Marina, WA.
D1FBDAA5-3FFB-4793-8E90-4F39ADCE816B.jpeg

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
It was Thursday evening, and I was siping the last from my wine glass when I stood and saw this beautiful end to a winter day on the boat.
Forgive me if it is not a Wednesday photo.

The Olympic Mountains at sunset, from Port of Everett Marina, WA.
View attachment 144739
It’s amazing how opportunities present themselves. We have to see them. Great photograph!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Your pelican is acting just like my wife’s cat when I pet it and it is deciding to either bite me, slice my hand open with it’s paw or both.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
A King's Gambit Accepted.
Heriot Bay Inn, Heriot Bay, British Columbia; summer 2017
KGaccepted.JPG

But if you don't like that, here's Potato Hbr, Santa Cruz Island in September; looking west.
Potato Harbor SCI.JPG

Last edited:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
TomY

what are you using for post processing? loving the color

Thank you! I use Adobe Lightroom(version 5.2) to process my images which I shoot in RAW mode. My favorite (and most used) lens is a Canon 10 to 20mm zoom.

Once I make adjustments, I export them as jpegs, sized to 1600 wide, to post here. The SBO photo loader is the best forum loader I've ever used for highest resolution. Most web site loaders are pretty lame (if they are even that good) and lose much of the resolution and color.

You don't ever know what your images look on somebody else's screen so I appreciate the feedback. It's easy to over do the processing, especially in color adjustments.