Another US War Ship Collides with a Merchant Ship

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
26 miles maybe but on Nimitz with a 40' draft that navigable channel was narrow. At night with other traffic it gets tense. Daytime is a chore as well. Those cruisers with sonar domes have a fairly deep draft as well.

I see where some sailors remains were found in the flooded compartment and one was found by Malaysian forces. This hurts.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
The CNO ordered a review of the training for all of 7th Fleet. China declared our navy as a hazard to navigation. As stated earlier our enemies have to question our combat readiness if we have this much trouble just steaming in peacetime...four incidents since February and three major warships with extensive damage. Looks like we have excellent damage control but what a tragic and expensive way to prove it. As former ship's navigator on USS Nimitz and having transited the strait of malacca day and night it is no walk in the park...narrow, shallow and heavy traffic. We set special watch and readiness conditions for that transit. Every member of that watch team was on high alert and the CO was on the bridge.
I wonder if our bridge teams rely too much on Ecdis (electronic displays) and not enough on visual recognition and situational awareness. Have we paid too much attention to, dare I say it, politically correct issues, at the expense of basic ship handling and combat readiness. After all, the mission of the United States Navy is to conduct prompt and sustained combat operations at sea.
Here is the current AIS picture in the vicinity of the collision. As you say, I can't imagine the CO not being on the bridge (as opposed to CIC) heading into this type of contact density. And this just shows AIS capable platforms.

Attachments

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
As an ex- Coastie I have to say it...Maybe they need to call the Coast Guard for some seamanship lessons.

Oct 1, 2007
Some reporting out there that there was a steering casualty on the McCain. Also, some USN SPOX saying that the evidence points to the McCain being "non-compliant" with traffic rules. Hard to see how that would be the case when damage is on McCain's port side.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Technically he was a naval flight officer. You seem to infer because he had no shiphandling experience he was unfit to serve as 7th fleet commander. The four incidents in 7th fleet since February were all commanded by surface warriors.

And aviators when in a flying tour do refer to the carrier as , "hitting the boat" or "rather be dead than look bad around (in the flight pattern) the boat@. When aviators are stationed on a carrier we refer to them as ships.

And carriers are commanded by naval aviators or naval flight officers. In order to command a carrier they must serve as xo on a carrier, be selected for and command a deep draft vessel then be selected for carrier command. Oh and 18 months of nuc power school prior to the xo tour.

Oct 1, 2007
Technically he was a naval flight officer. You seem to infer because he had no shiphandling experience he was unfit to serve as 7th fleet commander. The four incidents in 7th fleet since February were all commanded by surface warriors.

And aviators when in a flying tour do refer to the carrier as , "hitting the boat" or "rather be dead than look bad around (in the flight pattern) the boat@. When aviators are stationed on a carrier we refer to them as ships.

And carriers are commanded by naval aviators or naval flight officers. In order to command a carrier they must serve as xo on a carrier, be selected for and command a deep draft vessel then be selected for carrier command. Oh and 18 months of nuc power school prior to the xo tour.
http://www.navy.mil/navydata/bios/navybio.asp?bioID=437

Unfortunately, someone decided a change was needed earlier than planned. He has an honorable and outstanding record. I did not intend to cast doubt upon his record. However, something has got to be done to stop these deadly and embarrassing ship handling disasters.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Couldn't agree with you more. The cost is too high in blood and treasure. I am much more familiar with aviation mishap investigations. Assuredly if the surface navy (not to imply a separate navy) has anything like that the efforts will be effective. Because this series of events has national security implications I am positive that it will be as thorough as it is exhausting. Our fallen shipmates deserve the mos exacting review possible.

On another note I read each one of your numerous posts and always learn something.

Cheers,

Mike

Sep 12, 2009
Currently looking Sail Cranston, Rhode Island
Maybe now they will restart the ship handling course for young officers. Give them the training before sending them to the fleet
They spend some time here in Newport learning in the simulators before setting foot on a ship. It will be interesting to see what changes are coming down the pike...

Oct 1, 2007
They spend some time here in Newport learning in the simulators before setting foot on a ship. It will be interesting to see what changes are coming down the pike...
Back in the day they also practiced maneuvers in fleet formations aboard 80 ft patrol type craft. Not sure if the curriculum still includes that component.

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
As an ex- Coastie I have to say it...Maybe they need to call the Coast Guard for some seamanship lessons.
That has not been my experience. ..in recent years anyway. Which is sad. I see the same thing in aviation.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Inexperienced officers. A tour of duty aboard a naval vessel to be able to qualify for their next promotion does not make seasoned mariners.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Wow! As a retired ship driver, looking forward to seeing how SWOs get out of this mess.