Another US War Ship Collides with a Merchant Ship

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
RIP. What can I say? Stand down for retraining? That already happened, no? The Navy has some serious review and adjustment to make.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Maybe now they will restart the ship handling course for young officers. Give them the training before sending them to the fleet.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
RIP. What can I say? Stand down for retraining? That already happened, no? The Navy has some serious review and adjustment to make.
Looks like they will "pause" operations. This collision was on the port side. Also looks like this collision took place in early morning, just before published sunrise and probably during twilight. Hard to imagine how this could happen.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Aside from the cost in lives and expense, I postulate this could have a near to mid term negative effect on our foreign policy and relations. All the gain presented by joint exercises, the deterrent effect of our presence and respect for our sophisticated weaponry had to be eroded to some degree.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
The CNO ordered a review of the training for all of 7th Fleet. China declared our navy as a hazard to navigation. As stated earlier our enemies have to question our combat readiness if we have this much trouble just steaming in peacetime...four incidents since February and three major warships with extensive damage. Looks like we have excellent damage control but what a tragic and expensive way to prove it. As former ship's navigator on USS Nimitz and having transited the strait of malacca day and night it is no walk in the park...narrow, shallow and heavy traffic. We set special watch and readiness conditions for that transit. Every member of that watch team was on high alert and the CO was on the bridge.
I wonder if our bridge teams rely too much on Ecdis (electronic displays) and not enough on visual recognition and situational awareness. Have we paid too much attention to, dare I say it, politically correct issues, at the expense of basic ship handling and combat readiness. After all, the mission of the United States Navy is to conduct prompt and sustained combat operations at sea.

Oct 22, 2014
Mikem, I have to believe you have identified several spot on issues with the readiness of the certain navy ships.
It is no walk in the park to handle a ship in those waters, but the United States Navy is supposed to be ready to handle such peacetime conditions. At least that is the way I understood the Navy of the 1970's.

Jul 26, 2016
American Sail 18 MDR
There is no excuse. If it had been you or me we would of been charged with failure to keep a look-out/watch for other traffic. They probably have the attitude that since they are armed everyone has to stay out of their way. So no look outs. The Captains and crew need to go back to seamanship school.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I would think a naval officer in charge of a war ship would be a seasoned mariner but I wonder if reliance on technology has trumped seamanship training.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Well, in both occurrences, this one and a few months ago, it was the US Navy Vessel that was struck. There was no where that I could find where the MV blew its whistle five times as a warning. Now, in this case we do not know this information either. So even though there is suppose to be a bridge watch, the same holds true for the MV.

I too remember traversing those waters when I was working on several Cruise Ships. It is 26 miles wide at the narrowest point, not including Singapore area. So lots of room to maneuver.

Oct 22, 2014
This is speculation. I wonder if the thought of being the US Navy warship is sneaking into the consideration of the crew in charge. The thinking that the rest of the Mariner world would do anything to not hit a US Navy warship. I feel this is no longer a true thought. The rest of the Mariner world is not thinking like they once did. The watch on other ships is less than it was 20 years ago. Certainly what has been written of smaller crews and schedules that must be met on top of more vessels afloat in tight routes has changed the equation.

Oct 1, 2007
Well, in both occurrences, this one and a few months ago, it was the US Navy Vessel that was struck. There was no where that I could find where the MV blew its whistle five times as a warning. Now, in this case we do not know this information either. So even though there is suppose to be a bridge watch, the same holds true for the MV.

I too remember traversing those waters when I was working on several Cruise Ships. It is 26 miles wide at the narrowest point, not including Singapore area. So lots of room to maneuver.
It appears that the navigable channel for ships is much more narrow though.

Oct 1, 2007
Hmmmm, could the Aegis ship been hacked? It is curious that both this collision and the earlier one were both in the dark or twilight.

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
Hard to know but I think technology has a lot to do with the current situation. Looking at crew compliment on these newer vessels it is quite smaller than it used to be for similar sized vessels, we are also getting to the point where Millenials are getting to the age to be in positions of authority. Not picking on them it is just that they have grown up with handheld technology and many of them never look up to see what is around them, they rely on what the screen shows them.

Oct 22, 2014
Ned you raise a good question. We are creating sensors to extend our senses and projecting them in hand displays. They are a part of our cars. You see folks walking on the streets with their heads down focused on their phone, or their heads on the 12-14 inch display in their cockpit which displays radar, AIS, cameras, charts, etc.... With all this electronics no need for a lookout who can report visual or sounds that have helped mariners through the years. Certainly the new electronics are important aide our actions. Perhaps training is needed to manage all this information. When we allow the events occur while watching the information scroll across our screens we can let it get too close to take action of avoidance. We sometimes loose situational awareness and turn in when we should turn away. When your watching a screen you see the blip and think it is the coastal rocks you were looking for. When you hear the waves or see the crest breaking you know you want to flee.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Annus horribilis.

Untitled.png

I think the admiral is right.... too many people with only partial views of what's actually going on. ONE PERSON with a 100% view (and authority) would have been able to see what obviously needed to be done. Time to stand down indeed.