Another rudder question

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
Hi Gang,
I forgot to take my rudder off this weekend before coming up the ramp. (I'm sure nobody else has done this....). :liar:
The corner took most of the hit. I'm wondering if I can just use some epoxy to repair the damage or do I need to learn to work with fiberglass? Any thoughts and suggestions are most welcome!
Thanks, Kevin.

Attachments

May 24, 2018
Catalina 22 Norcal
I think we need to have a crappy Norcal rudder meetup. I'm in the process of fixing some very similar damage. The right way is to grind out all the damage and build it back up with glass. I used a lot of torn fiberglass mat, a trick I picked from Boatworks Today on Youtube, and West System epoxy to build mine back up. Tearing feathers the edge of the new glass and resin so you don't end up with a lip like you would with cut cloth. Once the new glass was proud of the surrounding surface I shaped it with 80-grit on an orbital sander.

If you're in a hurry you could try to saturate the area with epoxy, but if it's not completely sealed you would probably see continuing delamination and would eventually have a bigger job on your hands.

Apr 22, 2016
Catalina 22 Folsom Lake
I'm wondering if I can just use some epoxy to repair the damage or do I need to learn to work with fiberglass? Any thoughts and suggestions are most welcome!
Thanks, Kevin.
Hey Neighbor!
I just put a fair amount of fiberglass with epoxy on my rudder. It is currently under weight.
I don’t have much experience with all this, but since you are so close, you are welcome to come by and see what I’m doing - mistakes and all.
In my humble opinion, your rudder looks great! Maybe by comparison, lol! The difference between epoxy and polyester resin (maybe you know this) is that gelcoat may not stick to epoxy. In general, epoxy should be painted.
It appears the damaged bottom of the rudder has split. I would guess that could be epoxied together and clamped closed. The damaged surface can be faired, sanded and painted.

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
There is a split on the rudder bottom. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think that I will try some epoxy first in order to get on the water. I have a kick-up rudder cheeks that I want to use eventually. I need to buy the rudder and change the gudgeons. I currently have 3/8" pintles/gurdeons and the kick-up rudder is 1/2". Another project - never ending!

I think a Norcal meet up for some sailing is a great idea! My summer is pretty full but the fall looks wide open.