another newbie, hull #12502

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
Looks great..... now I want one

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
T-Cat, treat yourself (or the Admiral) to one, wouldn't be without it, and not a bank breaker either...!

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
I'll second all the above. You may have to modify straps, add some hardware, saw the legs off a little shorter and (GASP!!!) make some new holes in your beloved boat. But when you're out and it's miserably hot with just enough wind to keep your interest in sailing, there's no value you can put on shade over the cockpit and a tiller extension so you can stay in it no matter the course.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I saw a thread once here, about ''what was the best thing you ever bought for your boat'' or something like that. Autopilots and Bimini tops won hands down. :)

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Autopilots and Bimini tops won hands down
Bimini's are not a big thing here even though tt commonly hits 90F here in summer and we get lots of sunshine.
Since it sits below the boom I worry that it would get in the way too much. My wife and I are just under 6ft tall.

I could care less about sitting in the sun. I enjoy it in fact. But this comes from someone who used to work in a place kept so cold you needed a fall jacket all the time. I then realized that the reason I felt too hot when enjoying the outdoors, was my lack of acclimatization. We turned off our central air at home back in the late 90's, and haven't used it since. This has really helped when we make trips to SE Asia, because it only took a few days to stop drowning in sweat, even though I was wearing pants like the locals.

When I was a kid during my first trip to Florida in the 70's I couldn't figure out why locals needed jackets in the winter, when tourists were wearing summer clothes. Now i've figured it out. You guys are just wimps. :p

Do you find it gets in the way ? I've considered one as a rain cover, but was going to use a custom tarp with bungees and dome tent poles, over the boom, for that when anchored, and simply put up with rain gear when under way.

That rear support leg to the pulpit won't work for me since I have a BBQ on one side and a solar panel on the other.

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I grew up in Buffalo, moved to NC, back to WNY, now back in NC till my expiration date....it took a good 6+ months to get "acclimated" to either the hot or cold temps & humidity, so you're spot on with that issue.

We've not sailed with it up yet, but others do frequently here with no issue. Yesterday was 88* here with 90% humidity, we sat under it for a nice cocktail hour dockside, couldn't have done that without the bimini....and the Magma BBQ is fine on the transom rail stbd side too. I've also found it is adequately supported in a light breeze with one support pole quick disconnected when access on one side or the other is needed....my 2 cents...

Sep 30, 2013
@Leeward Rail: I do always chuckle at you pasty-white Yankees, swimming at the beach in February, as I walk by shivering in jeans and a jacket. :biggrin:

I probably wouldn't use a Bimini top where you live, either. At least not very often. I've lived in your latitude (and much higher) so I'm not surprised they aren't a "thing" up there. For me, it's not even about the temperature, it's the UV index. And bear in mind, I'm a pool contractor. I make my living out in the broiling summer sun, so it's not like I'm not acclimated.

Yes, it gets in the way sometimes. Rpludwig's arrangement will help with that, but like everything else, it's still a compromise. I'll bet you'd make that compromise after one season down here, though. ;) This otherwise idyllic little scene, for example, would be pure misery without one:

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
This otherwise idyllic little scene, for example, would be pure misery without one:
Amen to that. In hot climates or southern latitudes with high UV, one with silver material would be especially good. We've got a few hand umbrellas that we picked up in asia, which have the "nice" material on the bottom, and the top is a silver coating. They almost look like they are inside out but work great.
We have a tent with a fly made the same way. Keeps the heat in out out as required by the season.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
If you fold it forward when not in use, does it cause sheeting problems when sailing ?
That seems like the least obtrusive storage location, along with the option that @Gene Neill mentioned

Having it slightly shorter than the cockpit would allow tall people to use a stern BBQ.
For mosquitoes simply throwing a net over the top would be easy and likely work ok as long as the net has weighted edges. ( I have one that should work)

Hmm.. need to figure a solution for our boat next year. We now have a slip and it's likely going to be buggy in mid summer. Having a rain and bug free"porch" would be nice. :)

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
LR...clearly no problem stowed forward as it sits tween poptop & mast (unless u r running lines aft perhaps an issue), haven't had it out yet stowed aft, we'll see, but overall I like the versatility - up/down/stowed fwd/stowed aft, depending on the need...headroom as is is fine, I'm 5-11, Admiral is 5-4...if I find it interfers w/boom I'll just cut it down a few inches as I believe Stingy did...best mod yet for sure, and at 150 buks, can't beat it...

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Shifting gears away from the bimini and on to running rigging...

What should be done with this traveler/backstay/mainsheet setup mess other than replacing the rotten lines, sheaves, (and cutting the zip ties)? As is, the mainsheet chafes on the backstay block setup (pics show as left by PO, and I believe the original design)...have searched the forum, most threads & mods pertain to new design C22's...I'm puzzled as usual....

IMG_0030 trav 1.jpg
IMG_0030 trav 2.jpg
IMG_0030 trav 3.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
I have mine mounted on 36" tracks so I can drop it, push it forward and get it out of the way while sailing and unless you're raising or lowering sails, it doesn't get in my way. The bimini rests on the top top/sliding hatch and the halyards/downhauls run right under it. The only control line that might have interference is the boom vang and I don't fool with it much anyway. It's nice when at anchor or just using the head sail to be able to secure the boom and slide the bimini all the way to the back stay and get every inch of cover over the cockpit I can. Just my 2 cents.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Slim...ditto, agree with all that on the bimini, I'm on 36" tracks as well, very versatile...similar setup as yours...

I'm moving on to this traveler/mainsheet puzzle now....any thoughts on this?...

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
What's your goal for the traveller/mainsheet ? Simplification ? Improved sailing performance ?
Removing the adjustable backstay would obviously simply things.
I can't see us ever using one on our C22
I'll have quick release pins for our mainsheet blocks next year, to eliminate the need to run the line every time we rig the boat.

Unfortunately the traveller is kinda crap, on both original and new style.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
LR...guess the goal is to just make sure it is setup correctly, and deal with the proximity of the mainsheet to the backstay adjuster block chafing the sheet...if that makes sense....(I'm way too early in the process to be concerned with improved sailing performance!) I know the traveler is notoriously crap on C22's, perhaps why the PO zip tied the mess together...

Sep 30, 2013
I see what you mean about the chafing.

Not sure how to fix that. I have the CD version, which doesn't chafe. The inset in the lower right of this pic gives you the general idea how it's rigged. I can dig for pics of mine if you're interested.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Gene, thx, don't dig too much, I see Stingy has posted your setup, converted from mine, and IIRC, CD wants ~400 buks for that kit...hoping to avoid that expense at least at this point....maybe others with a pre-86 and my setup have a solution, or maybe I've rigged it wrong...just puzzled, that proximity 'tween the mainsheet and that adjuster block causing chafe can't be normal IMO....or perhaps I'm over-thinkin' it...

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Actually, you already have most of the hardware for converting the backstay adjuster.... you just need to get rid of the twin backstay wires and replace with the adjusting tackle...which you can cobble from the existing hardware. The deal is to get rid of the split connecter plate... and install on of the wire blocks from the split ring to the existing toggle at the end of the backstay's turn buckle. (a heavier block could be an optional purchase) This "cascading wire" will double the purchase of the adjusting tackle. You should be able to get 4::1 with what you have, doubled to 8::1 by the cascade. So... purchase the few supplies you need for the wire cascade West Marine and assemble it using their tools at store's work bench....

Of course, you could get rid of the turnbuckle to bring the hardware higher and perhaps away from the mainsheet. But that means you'd have to cut two new split wires.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I have a new design so my traveler is slightly different but my back stay is just like yours. First time I rigged the boat the main sheet chaifed as well. I checked the mast rake and realized the problem was the back stay adjustment. Not the block and tackle so much as the turnbuckle at the triangle plate. The mast was back a few dg from verticle. So I tightened the forestay and loosened the back stay. Now my tension assy never gets as low as yours is and I get a better mast rake for better sail shape and a more ballenced helm. Check your stays and go from there. Also consider how old and stretched they may be.