another newbie, hull #12502

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Luke, that's a very good point.

Even assuming that using the two post lift alone works well, it has the disadvantage of restricting access to the same section of hull that is held by the bunks on the trailer. Not much help if you want to sand + paint the hull while the keel is off the boat.
I also forgot to mention, IRT Gordon's comment about floating off... If you unbolt the keel and float the hull off the loose keel could just flop over on its side. Even is you have vertical posts that hug the keel sides (and I've seen few for C22's), the keel could slide backward off the rollers or supports as the trailer exits the water. If you want to see a cast iron keel break in half, that's how you would do it.

Jun 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Lake Thunderbird
My keel is still in 90% new condition, and I don't know how long it will take before it really "needs" work. But when it does, I REALLY hope to just buy a whole new keel and be done with it forever.

Dang it, man, I live an hour from the factory.
But it's the PITA that we all live for. Right? Hehe...

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
on the topic of cabin mods, this is one of the best I've seen yet...on C22BC's boat from a thread last fall....others commented on it back then, just thought I'd mention (praise) it....

http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/custom-or-factory-option.174920/

Perfect placement of the small galley (if one must have one), forward, right at the break of the starboard cushions, simple & functional...eze build...(no bulkhead or cushion mods required)

Dinette table mod opens up the cabin space, yet plenty functional for 2 dining below...addnl plywood is stored under v-birth to convert for sleeping....another eze build...

I like it!

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Perfect placement of the small galley (if one must have one), forward, right at the break of the starboard cushions, simple & functional...eze build...
Dinette table mod opens up the cabin space, yet plenty functional for 2 dining below...addnl plywood is stored under v-birth to convert for sleeping....another eze build...
I like it!
Agreed !
That's one of the nicer mods I've seen done on the original c22 design.
Storage under the table too.

Aug 16, 2016
Catalina C22 Panama City, Fl
here are some new questions/concerns

Keel: Pic of keel, looks typical of many C22's I've seen. It's on my re-do list for winter and have seen plenty of vg threads, including stingy's series on keel refurb. It is something that I can tackle, but curious if a NIB keel is available and at what cost. If available, are they now lead/epoxy requiring little maintenance down the road, and will they work on a 1984 boat?

As always, thx in advance for your reply...(4 pics in nxt post)
As a matter of fact I was recently(as in last week) in touch with Catalina Yachts regarding a new keel for my '82. Yes they are available, 4-6 weeks lead time, cost was quoted at $2437.00 plus shipping at from $350-$550 depending where you are. They are lead encased fiberglass and are the same for all of the 22's except the capri. To order contact parts@catalinayachts.com ask for Len Keller.

Hope this is helpful

Geoff

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Geoff...thx for that...gonna refurb the existing keel, (mine's not horrible), and put the remaining 2k into the rest of the list in post #40...a long winter ahead in these parts...

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2016
Catalina 22 East Greenwish
Not sure of the hull number but my hull ident # is CTYH2993E585

How is the hull/sail number determined?

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego

How is the hull/sail number determined?
That number you posted is your Hull ID number, kind of like your VIN. The sail number should be stamped on the stainless steel factory ID plate screwed center line just below your tiller. That number (mine is 10580 for a 1982) is a serial number assigned to the boats sequentially as they came off the line. The sail number is also displayed in big numbers on the mainsail. Sometimes when new sails are purchased during the life of the boat the P.O. didn't spring the extra coin for a sail number so its possible you don't have it on there.

Jun 12, 2016
Catalina 22 East Greenwish
I definitely wouldn't rely on sail numbers on a 30 year old boat.
I'll check the plate when I get home.

Jun 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Lake Thunderbird
The hull # should also be imprinted on the Transom just below the rub rail on the starboard side. Some are barely noticeable.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Sail number/hull # can be determined from the Full HIN/Hull ID.
How to decode the HIN has been covered a few times in the C22 forums.

I'm hull 12993.
Look at that HIN and you can see part of your hull#.... 2993.
The hull# in a HIN maxes out at 9999, because boat builders rarely exceed that many hulls for a specific boat. Because Catalina made so many C22s, after hull 9999 they simply added a 1 to that portion of the HIN, to get sail number/serial#. Hence 12993.

The rest if the HIN decodes manufacturer, model, and build date.
How that is decoded, was changed partway through the production of the C22.

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Update after a long hiatus, I'm back finally working on #12502 from this original thread...

Much has transpired to prevent any progress including a move back to NC (New Bern area) & leaving WNY behind. No regrets, as my family tasks up north were completed, so back to good weather, a great sailing location, etc. Joined a wonderful very active sailing club on the Neuse, 200 members, several C22'ers, affordable slip space, and a host of very knowledgeable sailors.

In doing so, I left the heated pole barn behind as well as the tractor, rotary lift, etc., but no need for that now. Several good boat yards nearby as this is more or less a sailing paradise.

The to-do list from post #40 has been paired down considerably to only the necessary, and a few convenience items. Keel & bottom work is being done by a well respected local yard very reasonably (whew, wasn't looking forward to that), I will install the rear scuppers, some running rigging, compound & wax the hull, build the admiral's modest galley, rebed deck hdwr, add midships cleats, a depth finder, vhf radio, compass and porta-pottie. Timetable is 30 days or so. Further upgrades will have to wait for periodic haul out/cleanup.

Will post pics of work as it progresses, and will continue to ask silly questions. Been keeping an eye on the forum and re-reading the many good posts by Luke, Don, Leeward, Gene & others to get back in shape.

Cheers,
Ron

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
P1020640.JPG
P1020641.JPG
P1020642.JPG
P1020643.JPG
P1020644.JPG
P1020645.JPG
NCM_0245.JPG
NCM_0248.JPG
NCM_0249.JPG
NCM_0242.JPG
update, some pics of hull/bottom/keel work, replaced keel cable/turning ball/volcano hose, etc., in no specific order. Gotta do something with the boot stripe, too oxidized, beyond sanding, needs paint or tape. Last pic is of an adjacent boat with a curious double entendre name LOL....
Progress....

Last edited: