another newbie, hull #12502

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Gene...re: the cockpit deck...as I was under there and pulled the drains, I don't see evidence of plywood sandwich (at drain cutouts), but very well could be....anyone torn out a cockpit deck of this vintage? That first forward 18" or so is unsupported, apparently to leave space for the drain's plumbing which could account for a bit of springy....
Yes it could! Hopefully that's all there is to it!

I used to own a '79, but I can't remember now just what it looked like under the cockpit sole. Snap a pic next time you're looking under there. It would make a lot of sense NOT to have wood core right where the scuppers go through, that's just ASKING for rot.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
pclark...thx for the link & pics....guess I may have a sandwich, unfortunately not a ham sandwich!

This is on my watch list for sure, will dig into it and post some pics when I get down below again.
Will be part of the winter project list as needed hopefully not as bad as you experienced!

Ron

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
here are some new questions/concerns...

Mast foot: Take a gander at the pics of the foot of the mast...the bolt holes are extremely close to the end of the mast. I did step/unstep the mast with the PO, no problem but did not pay attention to the proximity of the holes to the mast end. Seems to me this is very weak point as there is only ~ 1/4-3/8" of metal from holes to end (actually less on port side). Is this normal, or has the mast been cut??? If cut and weak there, I suspect the fix would be to cut just beyond the holes and drill new in proper location...opinions????

Keel: Pic of keel, looks typical of many C22's I've seen. It's on my re-do list for winter and have seen plenty of vg threads, including stingy's series on keel refurb. It is something that I can tackle, but curious if a NIB keel is available and at what cost. If available, are they now lead/epoxy requiring little maintenance down the road, and will they work on a 1984 boat?

As always, thx in advance for your reply...(4 pics in nxt post)

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Those photos of that "73" sure don't look like a Catalina-22. Never seen a keel cable on a C-22 come into the cockpit. But your cockpit floor is plywood cored, all versions are. Your mast is the typical C-22 mast with the hole at the bottom. Looks in pretty good shape also.

Don

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Don,

Whew, comforting on the mast holes/condition...thanks for that!

"Those photos of that "73" sure don't look like a Catalina-22. Never seen a keel cable on a C-22 come into the cockpit"...
I think that is on his MacGregor...? (Although same potential for damage there would likely apply to C22)...

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
most correct Don-- someone added their experience and photos to the end of the thread -- similar, but that last page is definitely not my C22

Sep 30, 2013
... curious if a NIB keel is available and at what cost. If available, are they now lead/epoxy requiring little maintenance down the road, and will they work on a 1984 boat?
Catalina Yachts will sell you a current production lead/epoxy keel for about 2K + shipping. They will fit any year C22.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
yikes!....from what I gather reconditioning one, albeit quite labor intensive can be done for ~5-600buks, and last ~20 years??!!!

that is beyond my expiration date...and likely the boat's!

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
sail storage, another newbie (perhaps dumb) question...
the boat came with original sails all in excellent condition in sail bags...
Main and jib are stuffed randomly into the bags, genoa is folded & never been used...
As mentioned, this is a winter restoration project with splash in spring, so how should the sails be properly stowed in the off season...folded neatly in the bags or just stuffed as they are?
anything to put in the bags to keep bugs, mold, mildew out?

Thanks again for the advice...
Ron

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
Even better to flake them differently every time, then roll. Fewer creases, longer sail life. This is one of the exceptions where neatness not only doesn't count, it discounts.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 380 16 Rochester NY
http://www.chipford.com/index.htm
A good DYI homepage for a C-22

I do remember a blog about a sailor that jacked his boat up high enough to pull the trailer out from under then he dropped the keel, disconnected it onto a dolly/cart and pulled it out. If I recall, he used 4x4's stacked almost 'lincoln log' sytle, using barn jacks to slowly lift the boat up bow, then stern placing new 4x4's. I'm searching now, but most of the responses about swing keels just say sell the boat and buy a new one! Lordy....

I know mine had after market scuppers that exited directly out the transom. They were large and I believe they were after market from Catalina Direct. Not much to them....http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/2600/scupper-installation-kit-.cfm

Lots we can suggest to spend YOUR money!!!!

Chris

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Catalina Yachts will sell you a current production lead/epoxy keel for about 2K + shipping. They will fit any year C22.
I can't say I've not considered it.
Drive down, have it installed, then go sailing in FLA while freeloading at Don and Gene's houses. ;)

$500 + a huge PITA or pay $1500 more and get one that won't ever rust.
I wonder if the lead version is heavier ? I assuming not, since that would screw up racing against others in the class.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
LRail......LOL....that's the best recommendation yet!....but, I like a challenge and we have l o n g crappy winters here, so I'm gonna opt for the huge PITA!....although the FLA option is plenty tempting!

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Living on the Canadian prairies, I can relate to the long winters. That's why the idea of picking up a keel in FLA is tempting. :D

This past winter, I planned on redoing all the exterior teak on the boat, and repair the main hatch. I made temporary pieces out of scrap wood to allow sealing the boat up.
Spring and Summer came, and the hatch is completed, but the teak is still in progress.

So... my hard learned advice.... Don't get hooked up on fixing the boat completely.
Do what needs to be done. Then do the rest as you have time.
With short summers, it's all the more important to get out on the water and sail.

Others on the this forum, especially @CloudDiver , have said this. Though.. some of us, including him, don't heed the advice. :D

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
I can't say I've not considered it.
Drive down, have it installed, then go sailing in FLA while freeloading at Don and Gene's houses. ;)

$500 + a huge PITA or pay $1500 more and get one that won't ever rust.
My keel is still in 90% new condition, and I don't know how long it will take before it really "needs" work. But when it does, I REALLY hope to just buy a whole new keel and be done with it forever.

Dang it, man, I live an hour from the factory.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
here's the 5 month winter plan in no apparent order, but critical/most difficult items first (keel for example), after reading 7 years of excellent forum threads...open to suggestions...

Mastup (buy or build)
Keel refurbish
Keel kit from CD
Bottom paint
Hull – sand/compound/buff/wax
Replace all running rigging
Run all lines aft
Tiller tamer
Replace standing rigging as necessary
Upgrade seal chainplates
Re-bed all deck hdwr
Replace/reinforce bow eye