Registered users don't see ads

another newbie, hull #12502

Discussion in 'Catalina 22' started by rpludwig, May 28, 2016. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. rpludwig

rpludwig

Joined May 23, 2016
    319 posts, 124 likes
    Catalina 22 #12502
    US New Bern, NC BSC
    Leaning on it is fine, well supported around the perimeter mount...debated about placement, but felt this was for the best visability from helm from most any angle, we tend to sit on either side of cockpit most often with a throwable or lifeline as the backrest, can still sit/lean against bulkhead, but it is a compromise for sure...

2. greg_m

greg_m

Joined May 23, 2017
    215 posts, 54 likes
    Catalina Jaguar 22
    ZA Cape Town, South Africa Simons Town
    Based on "Unfortunately the size of these boats..." comment = Why do you need two compasses? Is it actually function or bling that drives the desire?

3. rpludwig

rpludwig

Joined May 23, 2016
    319 posts, 124 likes
    Catalina 22 #12502
    US New Bern, NC BSC
    LR....I gave that some thought to that from your previous post in a compass location discussion/thread....that said, all the "activity", good/bad/indifferent generally happens there in the cockpit, I would think it (they) would be more in the way or at risk of being knocked into/stepped on than a bulkhead location....granted small downside on the bulkhead is you affect a backrest/lounging location.

Further, my understanding is a bulkhead compass needs to be installed perpendicular to the centerline of the boat, not sure how you'd do that on the "sides of the cockpit". I've never seen a compass in a cockpit other than on a pedestal or bulkhead, but maybe you're onto something!....fwiw...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  4. greg_m

greg_m

Joined May 23, 2017
    215 posts, 54 likes
    Catalina Jaguar 22
    ZA Cape Town, South Africa Simons Town
    That method of mounting is quiet popular here in South Africa. We had a pair of them on the L26 mounted either side of the cabin entrance hatch. Tiller steered boats... no pedestal. The bulkheads were however vertical and perpendicular to the centre line so getting them orientated was really easy. Little more of a challenge on the C22 bulkheads though.

You just have to watch what other electrical equipment you position around the compasses... like a fixed mounted radio!

5. rpludwig

rpludwig

Joined May 23, 2016
    319 posts, 124 likes
    Catalina 22 #12502
    US New Bern, NC BSC
    interesting...and thought our adjacent fan might have been a problem, but not so, thankfully....

6. rpludwig

rpludwig

Joined May 23, 2016
    319 posts, 124 likes
    Catalina 22 #12502
    US New Bern, NC BSC
    next question...."Battery Tender"....what do you guys use?

We run 2 fans (.3amp each), one Hook5 depthfinder/chartplotter (1.3 amp draw), occasional 12v. vac to clean up, nothing more. Been running a new group 24 deep cycle battery for 4 months, never needed a charge, finally ran down enough to lose power to the Hook5 (of course while under way!) so on a charger now. Time for a battery tender since we are in a slip with 20amp/120v. dock power.

Thinking this one https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tend...2&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=battery+tenders&psc=1

Anyone use this one, or another/better/different one?
    Thoughts?

(once we get beyond day sailing, will likely add some solar)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  7. LakeShark

LakeShark

Joined Sep 15, 2016
    241 posts, 51 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Minnesota Minnesota

8. rpludwig

rpludwig

Joined May 23, 2016
    319 posts, 124 likes
    Catalina 22 #12502
    US New Bern, NC BSC
    Update, out & about several times last few weeks, once in pretty heavy winds ~20kts & gusty, boat handles great, amazed at how responsive tiller steering is, but need a tiller tamer of some sort. Got 7kts sog close hauled, still somewhat poorly trimmed sails.

We have a pretty significant "wind tide" on the Neuse, have sailed near a shoal marked 6' on the chart and chartplotter, that day it was a pile of exposed rocks in the middle of a wide river, so it ain't 6' there under normal conditions and isn't marked as a nav hazard (needs to be). Of course, that was the day the battery died so had no depth reading.

Also joined the infamous run aground club on the return, steering a bit too close to the edge of our channel, not hard aground, bottom is soft mud, so just raised the keel and moved on...so I'm no longer a liar, just another member of the club!!

Learning, learning, learning with every outing and lovin' it!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    greg_m, ShotgunSlim and Gene Neill like this.
  9. rpludwig

rpludwig

Joined May 23, 2016
    319 posts, 124 likes
    Catalina 22 #12502
    US New Bern, NC BSC
    on another note, unlike most all of you, I've not had a tow vehicle as the boat is slipped and pulled out only occasionally for hurricanes, maintenance, etc., and have borrowed a club member's buggy to haul. Just picked up an older Honda Pilot '04 in good shape from a family member, but lacking a tow package.

Fast forward to etrailer.com...great stout product, no welding required, no mods, free shipping and arrived in 3 days, great service, and only cost a buck and a half. Installed it in an hour, good youtube vids on it, so I guess I'm officially a trailer sailor as need be. Just thought I'd recommend their site & product for the few of you guys in need of adding an eze tow pkg to most any vehicle...fwiw...

Gene Neill likes this.

Winch covers
Any brand, every size, any color!
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.