Another happy Campbell Sailer

Jul 18, 2015
Hunter 340 Rogersville, AL
Hey folks. I got tired of the 340 performance with the stock 2 blade. Shaking, rattling, etc. I do motor a bit since the wind does not always play. I wanted something better. So I started researching.
A buddy on my dock actually lost one of his blades from a log (was a 3 blade and then became a 2) on his boat. I told him to check out the CS. He did and ordered one. We swapped it out and as soon as we got everything tightened, we took her out for a spin. After that short ride, I knew what I was getting.
I can't recommend it enough. If you are looking to upgrade prop without spending thousands on a folder, this is the ticket. My wife even approved of the upgrade. I did my change under water with a buddy's scuba gear. I could probably have done it with snorkel but it would have taken longer.

IMAG1910.jpg
IMAG1911.jpg
Screenshot_20180527-122442.png
Screenshot_20180527-122505.png

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
My H31 came with a 14x12 2 blade. Campbell Sailor is suggesting a three blade 13x8 as a replacement. They say they are no longer making 2 blade props.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Interesting. I have a 14x14 2 blade, and CS recommended a 14x8 3 blade. Did they quote you a price?

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Interesting. I have a 14x14 2 blade, and CS recommended a 14x8 3 blade. Did they quote you a price?
A little less than $600

What engine is in your H31. I have the 13hp 2GM?

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Mine was about $585 US.

I have more ponies than you, the Yanmar 3YM20, rated at 23. I wonder why they stepped down the diameter by an inch for you.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Mine was about $585 US.

I have more ponies than you, the Yanmar 3YM20, rated at 23. I wonder why they stepped down the diameter by an inch for you.
Yeah same price to me. I think the step down in size was due to horsepower. My current 14" prop maxes out the engine at only 3000 rpm at full throttle.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
In my experience, Kelsey works hard to identify your specific boat equipment and match the prop specifications. A smaller prop would have less mass and spin a little quicker than a big prop. In my case I went from a 24 in to a 22 in getting much better apparent performance in the process.

Jul 18, 2015
Agreed. The guy knows what he is doing. I think it is about 50% science and 50% experience. Even when dealing with my buddy's boat which was a model Kelsey had never propped before, he was able to use all of the data to nail it first try.

In my experience, Kelsey works hard to identify your specific boat equipment and match the prop specifications. A smaller prop would have less mass and spin a little quicker than a big prop. In my case I went from a 24 in to a 22 in getting much better apparent performance in the process.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
If you are a racer, the third blade on a prop can shave off 1 knot per hour. [per a master racer]
Jim...

Mar 2, 2008
Cal 25 mk II T-Bird Marina, West Vancouver
If you are a racer, the third blade on a prop can shave off 1 knot per hour. [per a master racer]
Jim...
A three blade Campbell Sailor has less drag than a two blade with Mickey Mouse ears. If your clutch gear unit allows, just put it into neutral when racing.

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
Just got a Cambell Sailor this winter to replaced my original fixed 2 blade and am ready to put it through its paces and look forward to better performance than the 2 blade with less vibration.
Noticed you have your nuts reversed on the prop picture per MaineSail, check out his article on Lap-Fitting a Propeller to a Shaft.

Jul 18, 2015
I was waiting for this comment. I have read Mainsail's artilcle, but it is a bit difficult to lap a prop underwater. Secondly, the nuts are in the same orientation as they were when I removed them, not to mention the same as the boats around me. Checked several. Guess it really doesn't matter since they stayed on for 20 years with no issues. As long as they are properly torqued and have a cotter pin installed correctly, there isn't much to worry about. The actual standard is from ABYC and SAE, which is what Mainsail is referring to.

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
Hope you didn't think I was suggesting to lap the prop under water:), I did mine out of the water but also had a heck of a time getting the old prop to break free even with a 2 jaw pulley puller and finally using a torch for heat, props to you.
Am looking to enjoy the same results as you see.

Jul 18, 2015
No worries man.
Prop puller + BFH and my old came right off. Use the puller to set tension then give it a whack from the back and it jumps right off. Leaving the small nut on but backed off keeps the prop and key from falling into the abyss....or in my case, 30 ft of lake water.