Anode installation - best practices

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I just came from a customers boat doing a winterizing and noticed the anode (zinc in this case) on the $3500.00 prop was not connected to anything, other than by friction. Sadly I see this far too often. With this fresh on my mind it caused me to gather some photos from my hard drive and write a quick blurb on best practices for anode installation.

When installing anodes, anodes can be zinc, aluminum or magnesium, I always make sure to de-oxidize the surface where it will mate to the prop or shaft. For shaft mounted anodes I use a Dremel or 1000 Grit wet sandpaper.

The anode half on the left has been prepped the half on the right is untouched:

This is the Dremel brush, which I often use for shaft anodes. Please don't over do it, you just want to remove enough surface oxidation to get back to get bright metal:

Once you've cleaned the mating side/sides of the anode you will then want prep/clean the shaft. For the shaft I usually use 1000 grit wet sand paper. When installing the shaft anode, clean oxidation free surfaces are the best practice.

Once the surfaces are clean and the anode is on and torqued, you will want to tap the anode to properly seat it to the shaft, rudder etc. then re-torque it once again. This tap is NOT a hard hit it is a light tap. I use a brass hammer..

Getting the shaft clean & bright:

One of the best things you can do, in order to ensure your anode stays put, is to apply a liberal coating of Tef-Gel to the entire SS bolt that passes through the anode and also to coat the anode surfaces where the bolt passes through it and where the bolt comes into direct contact with the anode. If your anode has a recessed removable nut, do the same for the nut.

The practice of applying an insulating compound creates a spot where the stainless bolt or machine screw will be galvanically isolated, as best that it can be, from the anodic metal.

Stainless steel is near the top of the galvanic scale and zinc, magnesium or aluminum, the common anodic metals, are at the bottom. Coating the anode and stainless bolt or bolts is really not optional, if you want the best anodic protection & performance.

Here we can see a zinc from a feathering prop that had the stainless bolt and inside of the zinc liberally coated with Tef-Gel during the installation process. The anodic material around the stainless bolt was completely unaffected, as it should be, and the asnode is eroding very evenly, where it should be. This image was captured exactly as the anode came off the boat.

Another alternative some choose is to coat the stainless machine screw with nail-polish, as well as the anode mating surfaces. I find Tef-Gel to perform considerably better than nail-polish but nail-polish is certainly better than nothing at all, as can be seen farther down.

When you are spending $3000.00 - $6000.00 on a feathering propeller you really don't want your vessel coming out of the water looking like this:

A few minutes with some sand paper and a bit of Tef-Gel can go a long way toward better better anodic protection, more even wear & better anode longevity..

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
I just took my boat out and looked over my end-of-shaft mounted zinc - the kind that has a hex socket that matches the hex propeller nut. My boat has no strut, the cutless bearing is mounted at the bitter end of the shaft tube, so there is very little shaft exposed to seawater.

The zinc is very wasted in the socket. So much so that the zinc is actually loose on the end of the shaft.

As Maine Sail points out - once the zinc losses contact with the assembly it is supposed to protect - the zinc is worthless.

I have not seen this kind of wasting before and wonder if someone might have an explanation?

Charles

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Once the anode is on and torqued you will want to tap the anode to properly seat it to the shaft then re-torque it once again. This is NOT a hard hit it is a light tap. I use a brass hammer:
I find I can get a better compression on the shaft zincs by crushing them with a large C clamp. I can usually pick up another 1/4 turn on the bolts after clamping.

Attachments

Feb 6, 1998
I find I can get a better compression on the shaft zincs by crushing them with a large C clamp. I can usually pick up another 1/4 turn on the bolts after clamping.
C-clamps work well too. I also get about 1/4 - 3/4 turn extra with the brass hammer. Anything that gets it making good contact, and is not abusive, will suffice..

Feb 6, 1998
I just took my boat out and looked over my end-of-shaft mounted zinc - the kind that has a hex socket that matches the hex propeller nut. My boat has no strut, the cutless bearing is mounted at the bitter end of the shaft tube, so there is very little shaft exposed to seawater.

The zinc is very wasted in the socket. So much so that the zinc is actually loose on the end of the shaft.

As Maine Sail points out - once the zinc losses contact with the assembly it is supposed to protect - the zinc is worthless.

I have not seen this kind of wasting before and wonder if someone might have an explanation?

Charles

Did you make any changes this year to the shafting or electrical systems? Graphite packing? A PSS? SS cotter pin where it used be brass? New castle nut? New prop? Different brand of anode? Docked in an area with more current?

Jan 30, 2012
This checklist of culprits above is very helpful.

However, no changes whatsoever from prior years. I am in finger dock parallel and close to other boats. Adjacent dockmate(s) boat quality is suspicious. However same boats same dockmate(s) as before.

My shore power is 24 hour. However shore power design is 100% GFI onboard the boat. The shaft is insulated from seawater (means drive saver not jumpered. ) Thus neighbor originated source of stray DC current (or even galvanic for that matter) via shaft and thence return to neighbor via safety green is not likely.

Is it possible Martyr zincs (mil spec) may not be as mil spec as they claim? Are there alternative brands -electroguard, etc?

Charles

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
Charles,
My Beneteau also has similar shaft w/ a shaft end cone zinc and very limited shaft exposed. My solution is the SALCA, sacrificial anode line cutter assembly. Available in a thinner donut for Beneteaus and other boats with limited shaft. The thin donut w/o the cutter is also available. Check on line -sold by a few companies.

Jan 30, 2012
Newport Bob

Thanks for this suggestion. The present set up is really not enough zinc area anyway because I am getting about 50% wasting at month 8. This is perfectly acceptable because my boat is out for 4-5 months/year. Your additional zinc idea will extend the active life of the whole anode group.

Problem is I have a very short distance betwixt prop and the (tube mounted) cutless I reckon about .75". So it never occurred to me I could fit one (even a French one) in that small space. I don't need the cutter.

I will make inquiries at the SBO store.

Charles

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
Charles,
Sorry to mislead. These are not french anodes. US made to milspec. I have the same shaft setup as you - enclosed shaft to tube mounted cutlass, short length of shaft exposed, prop, cone anode aft end of prop. the standard collar anodes are too thick for my boat. The below link is one place that carries the narrow collar anodes. The one for my boat is 11/16 thk.
http://www.boatzincs.com/beneteau-donut-collar-specs.html

Jan 30, 2012
Another thought to prolong anode service life. My propeller is fixed blade in manganese bronze.

What if one coated the propeller with zinc paint. Rustoleum makes a cold galv paint which they claim is 93% zinc.

Charles

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
Charles,
Sorry to mislead. These are not french anodes. US made to milspec
While the anodes you refer to are not made in France, they are made in metric sizes only and therefore are unsuitable for Charles' Nor Sea 27.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2008
Canadian Sailcraft CS27 Victoria B.C.
Whatever. I wouldn't use 'em on my worst enemy's boat.
I'm not sure what you base your opinion on. We sell them by the hundreds to both recreational as well as commercial customers without any issues. Their quality is excellent.

As is their Titan chain (more consistent than Acco) and rated shackles. Also their anchors - Rocna and Vulcan. Their concern for quality is such that when they bought Rocna they destroyed all existing stock and started fresh in their own production facility.
MG Duff in England is also Canada Metal owned so the Brits also use their anodes.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
I'm not sure what you base your opinion on. We sell them by the hundreds to both recreational as well as commercial customers without any issues. Their quality is excellent.
I disagree. I find their fasteners to be of low quality and any anode that requires a bronze "BB" to make a proper electrical connection with the part being protected, needs to be more precisely manufactured, IMHO. And even if none of that were the case, they're made in China. Why would I intentionally buy a Chinese-made product when North American-made products of high quality and similar price point are easily available? And I wonder how many Canadians lost their jobs when Canada Metals decided to move their production overseas?

Yeah, no thanks. You can have 'em. My customers deserve better.

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Did you make any changes this year to the shafting or electrical systems? Graphite packing? A PSS? SS cotter pin where it used be brass? New castle nut? New prop? Different brand of anode? Docked in an area with more current?
Maine -
Please walk me thru how the PSS/carbon seal can contribute. My new shaft zings were ready for changing in 2.5 months. I was a little suspicious that the zincs looked shot when we bought the boat in late August an replaced them and had a PSS installed. Seems like th problem bas existed a while. Our h36 has Charles isolation transformers and I checked no current flow in green wire and no continuity between shore cord ground and onboard AC outlet grounds. Interestingly, the electrical prints show only the yellow wire dc return ground bus connected to an engine bolt. The green/yellow wire bonded components (keel, chainplates, mast, compression post, forestay, arch, diesel filer neck) apparently do not tie to an engine bolt that I can find yet. I measure about 70 mV potential between the keel bolts and a nearby dc ground that jumps to about 300 mV when the battery charger breaker is closed, then decreases to 170 mV in about two minutes. Drops back to 70 mV when breaker to charger is opened. This happens with battery switch off, but parasitic loads on like bilge pump, h/w alarm and CO detector. Charger outputs are wired to the batteries. I'm currently cleaning all dc returns, checked bilge pump and float wires, busses and bonding connections I can find but no joy yet. Dealer tells me there should be no potential between bonding system and dc ground.
Thanks
Dan

Jan 30, 2012
I am obviously not Maine and he will answer this for sure. Meanwhile I think your new shaft seal (PSS or otherwise) is probably not contributing to anything. Problem is . . what exactly do you regard as out of order? For example - do you have highly accelerated zinc wasting, nuisance breaker tripping, GFCI outlet tripping?

Need symptoms in order to to offer a diagnosis. Need clarity for example your reference to 'zings' is a clearly a typo. Do you mean shaft seal 'rings' or do you mean shaft mounted 'zincs'?

Charles

Last edited:
Feb 6, 1998
Maine -
Please walk me thru how the PSS/carbon seal can contribute. My new shaft zings were ready for changing in 2.5 months. I was a little suspicious that the zincs looked shot when we bought the boat in late August an replaced them and had a PSS installed.
Without a true A/B to what you had previously, compared to what you have now, it is tough to say what is causing your 2.5 months of anode wasting. Certainly not the worst I've seen but it could be longer..

As for where the PSS can impact zinc wasting all one has to do is look at the galvanic series:

Zinc = -980mV to -1030mV (second most anodic)
Graphite = +200mV to +300mV (most noble element in the galvanic series)

Keep in mind that one half of the PSS is a carbon block directly in contact with a SS rotor which is directly in contact with the prop shaft. I have noted increases in zinc erosion speed on almost every boat I have installed a PSS on, including all of my own boats I installed a PSS on.. Is this bad? Not necessarily, but the zincs just won't last as long and you should not let them entirely waste. I much prefer to see a PSS used with an AQ-19 or AQ-22 shafting material rather than bronze (really brass) or lower grades of SS. Everytime I install graphite packing or a PSS i let the owner know to check the anodes more frequently until they get a sense of anode life.

It is the voltage spread between the most anodic (zinc) and most noble (graphite) that can accelerate anode wasting. The wider the voltage spread the harder the anode has to work. Graphite impregnated packing (Gore GFO, Western Pacific GTU, Duramax Ultra-X etc. ) also increase the speed of zinc wasting.

In regards to graphite impregnated packing material the ABYC standards go so far as to prohibit its use..

ABYC Standards:
"6.7.4 Graphite impregnated packing material shall not be used because of the possibility of galvanic incompatibility with the shaft material."