anker winch

Mar 25, 2019
Beneteau 473 clipper Vejle
Hello all

Does anyone have a manual for this type of anker winch. It is mounted on a Beneteau 473 from 2003. I dont know if the gybsy is broken or is in free fall mode. The winch wont pull the chain up. I need a service manual or/and a user manual. Hope someone can help.
Regards Henrik

Attachments

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
The winch wont pull the chain up
Hi Henrik, need a bit more information. Unsure what you mean by, "won't pull the chain up".

1. Does the winch run, but the gypsy does not rotate? If so it could mean the clutch needs to be tightened.
2. Does the motor stop with the weight of the anchor, then it sounds as though the motor is shot or it may need new rotor brushes.

Mar 25, 2019
Hi Terry
Thanks for replying :)
The Gybsy is not turning when I operate the winch. The problem is that I dont have a manual so I can see how to tighten og adjust the clutch. I can't see how its done just by looking and trying.
Regards Henrik

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Try more photos. Look at it from all angles.

SWAG here. Likely something on the end of the capstan will indicate a brake fitting. Perhaps a bar is inserted in the holes of the capstan.

Mar 25, 2019
Try more photos. Look at it from all angles.

SWAG here. Likely something on the end of the capstan will indicate a brake fitting. Perhaps a bar is inserted in the holes of the capstan.
Hi John
I'm not sure what you mean by SWAG ? Tried google, and found that it looks as there is a "pin" (best way to describe it) that goes in the gybsy and make it turn around. It is on the shaft and the gybsy fits over it. Will try to pull off the rope gypsy and see if the pin is broken. (and take some more pictures)

Dec 25, 2000
Hi Henrik, our winch is a different brand, but I would think the gypsy must have a clutch rather than a hard pin/key. Our brand has an axle/shaft that extends from the drive motor. The gypsy slides on first followed by the drum. The very end of the axle/shaft is threaded to accept a large knurled plate or cap. From the PDF file that John sent you shows a cone on the shaft that the drum/gypsy must slide over. That cone, like ours, is the clutch. As you tighten the end plate against the drum/gypsy, that puts pressure on the cone thus preventing it from turning.

The end plate/cap on our winch has two hole slots to accept a spanner wrench that allows the operator to loosen or tighten the pressure on the cone. It was missing on our boat when we took possession, so I made one out of SS bar and SS bolts and nuts that has worked quite well over the years. Things would have been a bit messy had I not had the spanner wrench.

Hope this helps. The PDF file does not make it clear.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
When one does not have personal experience with an issue and the data supplied does not fit any norms, all that is left is a SWAG.

As Terry has suggested, the Clutch is a standard in engineering the anchor windlass’s we all take forgranted. The clutch allows you to release the chain and let the anchor free fall. Then you can tighten the clutch and wind the chain back onboard.

Some windlass’s have a star shaped ratchet (like the ratchet in your winch that you put the handle into and wind the winch.) some uses a bar in the capstan (the part fo the windlass that you wind the rope on to). You rotate the capstan and it tightens the clutch that tightens the gypsy (that is the wheel that is winding up the chain).

In order not to just SWAG an answer I was asking that you provide us with more images of the windlass. The hope is that we will be able to see a clue that will allow us to unravel the mystery. I tried to locate a manual or images of your windlass using the name, The best I could find was the pdf I linked that really addresses the motor not the gypsy and capstan.

Mar 25, 2019
Succes :)
Thank you for all inputs. I used alle your replies to try to do something else. Brutal force.... It seems logic that the winch was in free fall mode, and the only thing to do, was to put in the handle and use some bodyweight to tighten the clutch. It took some force, and I had already tried this before, but with less succes (weight). SO if any of you helpful sailers ever come to Denmark, I would be happy to serve you a homebrew.
Best regards Henrik

Dec 25, 2000
Hi Henrik, glad to hear you fixed the problem. When it comes to a free beer/anything, especially home brew, count me in. If Belle-Vie is up to it, so is the skipper. See you real sooooon.

Oct 22, 2014
Great news Henrik. Enjoy your summer cruising and send us some images of where you sail. Always great to hear sailing stories from other waters.
Fair winds and happy anchoring.