And what do you hear?

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
In Mexico and most South America "LL" is Jah

So JIM = LLEM is Mexico

aka Llem...

PS: not heeemm
That's new to me. Can you give of a couple of examples of actual Spanish words in which 'll' is pronounced like the English 'j'?

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
That's new to me. Can you give of a couple of examples of actual Spanish word in which 'll' is pronounced like the English 'j'?
Actually, my son is/was/is probably not maybe (it's too complicated for me), dating a girl from Colombia and she pronounces the 'LL' 'jah', but I have not heard that in Mexico or Equador or Spain, when I've been there. I was taught the 'ya' sound for 'LL'. But then, I only had 2 years of Spanish I.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Yanni all the way on different media until just now when I listened with ear buds and it was laurel. Then I listened without and again laurel. Is someone messing with us?
I have a theory about we don't hear our spouses. You know those tiny hairs in your inner ear that vibrate with different frequencies? Well I think the ones that correspond to your spouses voice, after many many years of constant use are worn down to nubs and can no longer vibrate at those frequencies. i.e. you can't hear her. Or, maybe we're just not paying attention.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
This one's even crazier. Play the video while thinking about either the word "brainstorm" or the phrase "green needle". Whichever one you think of, is what you will hear. It happens after the initial sound effect. Wait until the end.

Last edited:

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I hear laurel on my phone, and on my computer with Altec Lansing speakers. But heard yanny several times last night in the truck on Sirius/XM with tinny 4" Pioneer dash speakers

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
This one's even crazier. Play the video while thinking about either the word "brainstorm" or the phrase "green needle". Whichever one you think of, is what you will hear. It happens after the initial sound effect.

I heard both. "brainstorm" in the very beginning and "green needle" at the end.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Spanish words in which 'll' is pronounced like the English 'j'?
I lived in Mexico for 4 years, so my Spanish it pretty good.
Tortilla is not... Tore Tee yah but Tore Tee Jahh in Mexico

Argentina speaks Spanish in sing-song like Italians talk. Cuban don't pronounce the "S" in "esta"

Z and S are pronounced is Spain differently too.

After 2 years hearing my hard hat name tag "JIM" said Heeemm. I put "LLEM" instead. At first I got a curious look. They asked what does that mean? I replied... "Just say it"
Then for the first time they pronounced Jim like GEM in English.;)

Jim, Gym, Gem, Llem...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
BTW the real answer to the Start of this post, there was only one word ever said...

Luarel

Jim...