And so it begins

Jul 19, 2015
Beneteau 343 BVI
We officially became live a boards on April 2nd when dropped the line at 4:14 pm. We would have left earlier but just before we dropped the lines I dropped the hand held radio that was plugged into the inverter charging and the inverter started to smoke. So I had to turn off the battery switch because I could now see a small flame. So I disconnected and luckily I had a spare (it is older and had to modify the connectors).

I was hoping to leave earlier so we just motored out and anchored by Anclote island. We decided to try the water maker. While going through the book on startup of a new water maker everything looked good. Ya we are making fresh water. Check for leaks I didn’t see any. One hour later I see water in the bilge. Started the bilge pump. The water maker was dumping water into the boat. It took us three hours to dewater the boat. We ate dinner and went to bed

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
That's not a terrible first day. You didn't hit anything, no one got hurt. More importantly, you encountered your first problem underway; diagnosed it properly; fixed the problem, and got back to living on the boat. Whatever comes up next, you will deal with it.

We are only 3 weeks ahead of you, and I've already ordered parts 4 times, and fixed bunches of things. It's just part of the gig. Hang in there, it's worth it.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Sorry I missed your departure. Got to the dock not too long after you left. The sucky thing is you have this south wind. Always happens. Wind is either non-existent or right on the nose. Hopefully the high will move and the winds will shift to the east. Fair winds!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Southpaw congrats to you. You have done one of the most difficult tasks. Untied the lines. Sure their maybe bulbs but you will take them instride. You’ve proven that the first day.
Fair winds and calm seas.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Congratulations!:clap: I am so jealous.:D
I'm also excited to be following your progress.
My father tells about crewing for a friend on a crossing. His friends got his boat in ship shape, electric refrigerator working and was going over the list of supplies and stores for food. Most of which needed refrigeration.
When asked what the backup plan was in case the refrigerator conked out, his reply was "It won't conk out." The Old Man said, "Yes, I know, but just say it did, what is the plan? We're in the middle of the Atlantic and no refrigeration, what would the backup plan be?" Answer, "it won't conk out."
You guessed it, they lost refrigeration about 4 days from landing. They ate what would spoil right away and managed to make land before their last can of beans ran out.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Great message Will. Even though we leave land behind “Murphy” has a way of following us and springing his “Law” on us with out caring if we have faith in our preparations or not.

Expect the worse, enjoy the best.

Jul 19, 2015
Beneteau 343 BVI
Thanks everyone for your post. Roland was looking for you when we left. Tell Jerzy to hurry up and get his boat fixed.
Last night was a good night topped off tanks with water and used the counter top ice maker.

May 12, 2004
Tell Jerzy to hurry up and get his boat fixed.
Jerzy got his tranny fixed. Just took $$$. He won't be leaving on his planned cruise this month. Daughter's coming into town for a while.
He's crewing with me in the race next week. He's actually a pretty accomplished sailor, racer. Says, that with my new sails, we are going to win. Yeah!
Are you and Lisa, ( see, I do remember ) stopping or going straight thru to Marathon?
Fair Winds.

Jul 19, 2015
Beneteau 343 BVI
Stu the leak was hose clamps not tightened enough.

Roland we are going to stay the night at Sarasota and then make the jump to the keys.

May 12, 2004
Go quickly. Looks like winds are going to shift southeast by Fri. afternoon in Fl. Bay. I've always said that coastal cruising, especially the west coast of Fl., is 80% motoring and 20% sailing. Especially if you have some kind of a schedule.
Fair Winds.

Last edited:
May 12, 2004
Beautiful place and nice sailing grounds albeit a bit shallow like Tampa Bay. I'm guessing you should be in Marathon by tomorrow. If you are not yet past it, watch the depth around Romano Shoals. I know from experience. Have fun. More pics.
Fair Winds.

Jul 19, 2015
Beneteau 343 BVI
Well so much has happened since we left Florida. When we left Marathon I checked on the weather and thought we had enough time to get through the Bahamas and far enough east to make it to the Virgin Island. The window closed so went to south Caicos. While sailing through the Bahamas we found a stowaway onboard .
B4D624D0-0965-44F0-A65D-5C5B119EFADE.jpeg

Jul 19, 2015
Beneteau 343 BVI
We left south Caicos and headed for Puerto Plata Dominican Republic. What a corrupt place everyone has their hand out for money. When we left the DR the winds died. Ok no problem we had got more fuel. Half way to Puerto Rico we ran out of fuel. We figured someone must have siphoned out our diesel.Luckily they couldn’t get to the ten gallon of fuel that we had locked up in the cans. So I dumped 5 gallons in and continued on. Halfway across Puerto Rico the winds died again. To make along story short as we we’re motoring into Charlotte Amalie you guessed it we ran out of fuel. I unrolled the jib sailed to a spot and dropped anchor.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Well so much has happened since we left Florida. When we left Marathon I checked on the weather and thought we had enough time to get through the Bahamas and far enough east to make it to the Virgin Island. The window closed so went to south Caicos. While sailing through the Bahamas we found a stowaway onboard .View attachment 149448
A King Fisher. Never seen one land on a boat before.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 19, 2015
Beneteau 343 BVI
He didn’t want to leave. We let him stay all night when we got close to land I got him off the boat. So we were sailing and I was at the helm when all of a sudden I get hit square in the middle of my back. You guessed it he hit me and landed on the floor between my feet.I kicked him off again and he came back. However the third time was a charm.