And so it begins

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Purple haze running through my mind, wow I can hear the colors man. So in addition to figuring out how to Make Oday Emblems I have been working on the hull liner. I bought a roll of Volara closed cell foam from www.foamforyou.com I also bought some 313 adhesive. Foam excellent the adhesive not so much. The web spray is worthless when bonding fabric to foam. It works quite well bonding the foam to the hull. Flame laminating is cost outrageous. I will be trying Bostik Supertak mist for the fabric to foam bond as the web type sprays leave to many voids. Poor YOT looked like it had cellulite. So I'll keep everybody posted once the adhesive shows up. And don't forget the respirator or you will look like this.

Attachments

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Wow, you should see a doctor.
Hey 3M make a spray adhesive you can get at big block home stores. I've used it to bond my sunbrella to my headsail for sewing it without moving around (trick of the sailmaker trade) the stuff is sticky as hell. It is called 3M super 77 spray adhesive.
When you get done you might want to move to Frisco, get some flowers in your hair, sit cross legged in a circle and chant oooooom.

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
:yeah:"Purple haze running through my mind, wow I can hear the colors man"

Hmmmm no question in my mind that you should plan on showing up at our rOnDAYvous this July......youl'l fit right in with this crowd :D

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
I really like the planked interior of your boat in your picture of the O'Day symbol. It kind of looks like a rustic old bar I used to visit. What kind of wood did you use for the planks and how did you attach them to the hull?

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Actually jibes that's in my living room. I live in a log home. And while we are on the subject, it's white pine which expands and contracts with the humidity. In the summer it can measure up to 3 inches taller than in the winter. So much for pine being a boating wood ehh.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
That brings up another subject. How much stress does an aluminum mast put on the rigging due to thermal expansion or contraction. Let's say your mast is 50 feet long. Times 12 = 600 inches. Thermal expansion coefficient = .000013 per inch per degree F. So lets say you tune your rig at 35 degrees for the shroud tension. At 100 degrees the mast will grow 600 x .000013 x 65 = 0.507 inches. Stretching your shrouds by .507 inches is an awful lot of stress, so the mast will probably buckle a bit and the boat will probably felx a bit and the shrouds will stretch a bit, hopefully elastically. Point being materials expand and contract and while stainless has a closer expansion rate to aluminum than say carbon steel the rig needs to be tuned for the ambient conditions, meaning several times a year.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
That is an absolutely brilliant piece of information jibes. Information every sailboat owner should be aware of. That type of stress exerted on the chainplates is enough to separate the sealant over the course of a season. That's not to mention the massive force that would be exerted on the cabin top/compression post/beefed up floor common in Oday. Even though the wire shrouds might absorb some of the growth, rod rigging could be disasterous to the structure. What I will take away from this is check the tuning of the rigging throughout the season and if YOT is ever stored mast up during the winter check it periodically for excessive slack. Thanks jibes for a superb lesson in metalurgy and it's application to sailboats.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
In other news, the Camie 313 has failed miserably with the foam to fiberglass bond. Thanks to all for the suggestions on products you have used with success. I have opted to use the Outdura for the cushion bottoms that I had originally intended to use as the hull liner. So once again I went browsing at my favorite fabric place www.decorativefabricsdirect.com and low and behold I found something so unbelieveable I'm in a tizy. Yup, the Unison/Creme chenille fabric mimics almost perfectly the original hull liner fabric. It has one major difference, all synthetic materials which should minimize mildew problems. So with many yards the question of bonding.
For the foam to hull the winner is 3M Super Trim Adhesive a neoprene based adhesive and 3M Super 77 for the fabric to foam bond. The considerations involved were expected temperatures, soak through, as the fabric is light colored, and previous experience from others. So when the weather cooperates this will be a huge leap forward in the project.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Hey 25years....the thermal problem was actually a trick. The amount of stress on the shrouds will actually be a bit less as the coefficient of thermal expansion for stainless steel is about 75% that of aluminum. So if the mast grows .507 inches the shrouds might grow .380 inches, but they are a little longer so they will grow more maybe around .400 inches. So the elongation of the shrouds ignoring the trigonometry will maybe be .107 inches. Strain is the change in length divided by the original length. For a back of the napkin calculation, lets say .107/600 = 0.0001783 inches per inch.
Using hooks law of stress = modulus of elasticity times strain we can calculate the stress in the wire and see if we have exceeded the yield stress allowed for the material.
So 27,992,283 PSI x .0001783 = 4992 PSI
The yield strength for 304 stainless is 29,732 PSI so the safety factor is almost 6 to one. OK everyone can go back to sleep now, sorry for worrying you so much.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
You rascal you jibes. Food for thought anyway. What can it hurt to recheck shroud/stay tension throughout the season. At worse it might even help to keep the forces on the chainplates evenly distributed. So I buys me a Singer Confidence Quilter yesterday at Joann Fabrics. The cushion sewing has begun. With plaids a walking foot is required as I found out using a basic Kenmore my wife had. Getting the hang of sewing is as much art as skill but it's a great way to pass the winter and remain committed to a restoration project. Of course I'm getting some kidding from the folks at work about my sudden urge to learn how to sew. Really guys it's much easier than one would imagine and for the price of a machine you can save some big bucks on your upholstery.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Hey welcome to the world of saving money. I have one of those Sailrite machines. So far I built a bimini, two sail covers, a replacement dodger, a 130% jib, a storm jib, a storm trysail, and a cruising spinaker. I have also replaced a suncover on my jib, and added a suncover to a jib that didn't have one. I figure I saved more than the boat is worth. I need to replace a few windows in the dodger and finalize the hardware on the last suncover. The actual sewing is not hard it is manhandling sails to present them to the needle that is tricky.

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
A friend of my boat bought a sailrite machine last year. He has rebuilt the dodger, repaired the bimini and built a canvas cover so far. The challenges are definitly in moving the material. On another note Jibes mentioned planking on the inside of the hull. A PO installed ash planks on my walls. He did a great job. I'd like to meet him to tell him so. Here are a couple of pictures.

Attachments

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Very nice. I know someone that did a gulfstar 41 v-berth this way. They bonded furring strips to the hull then screwed the planks to those, came out great also. That fabric in the O'Day's is OK but I don't think I'd wallpaper a house with it.
When I did my dodger I ripped out all the seams until I had individual pieces, then I used those as patterns to cut new ones. Sewed it all back together and ended up with a brand new dodger for really cheap that exactly fit the same frames and snaps on the deck. A new dodger would be a few grand I'd guess, I probably spent a hundred bucks on materials and thread.

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
A friend of my boat bought a sailrite machine last year. He has rebuilt the dodger, repaired the bimini and built a canvas cover so far. The challenges are definitly in moving the material. On another note Jibes mentioned planking on the inside of the hull. A PO installed ash planks on my walls. He did a great job. I'd like to meet him to tell him so. Here are a couple of pictures.
Nice work ....I bought some carpet like fabric from sail rite and redid the plastic foam crap that ODay put in my 32, I started with the aft cabin and then stopped cause some water got on the material where it was touching the plywood and then it soaked up the water and stained so much for that idea and I've been hesitant about putting the same product in the V berth
and main salon
That wood work gives me an idea ;)

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
The previous owner did a great job with the inside sides. When we redid the dodger we only replaced the plastic and used the old fabric that was not in too bad of shape. I priced a new dodger first-- $2000.00 without the ss tubing from a friend in the business.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
This is truly an option I would consider Rajhnsn if I wasn't so committed (or perhaps should be committed) to original. That woodwork adds a definate higher quality look than the fabrics/foam used for hull liners. Thank you for sharing that with us. And there you have it readers from several sources. Break out those sewing machines for some big savings on everything cloth related to a sailboat.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Sooo as the winter of our discontent drags on and on and on yours truly has been busy with sewing and a few other projects. One of the drawbacks of Oday was the mystery material under the chainplates. Now with it all cleared out a gaping hole in the cabin liner is what remains. Not to worry it is a handy inspection port for those little rascals many of our older boats are plagued with. So you had to figure I'd concoct some devilishly clever thing and you would be correct. So here's a pic of one removable cover made from white Lucite that when cut looks more like a light than what it is. A few thumbscrews and away we go, ready for an inspection should water ever drip here. Enjoy.

Attachments

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Are your lowers only attached to the deck? I had a Catalina 25 and they were just an eye bolt bolted through the deck, didn't even have decent backing plates. I had one fail once like a rifle shot going off, almost lost the rig. Pretty poor design. The rig loads should carry to the hull not just to the deck. On my 35 they have internal rods that take the lowers down to the hull liner, they are like a turnbuckle, the tension can be adjusted by turning them.