And so it begins

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Hey 25, if you want a sea anchor I suggest you look into a series drogue instead. Sailrite sells the kits and they are easy to make, a regular home sewing machine will work fine for this project, and all you need is some lengths of line. Check it out.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Hey 25, if you want a sea anchor I suggest you look into a series drogue instead. Sailrite sells the kits and they are easy to make, a regular home sewing machine will work fine for this project, and all you need is some lengths of line. Check it out.
I will definitely look into that jibes. Might be a fun winter project and even more fun to try it out. Thanks for the info.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Now I'm getting excited. New rudder is shipping today. Check out this bad boy. Compared to the original. Come on spring time. 20151109_132501 (2).jpeg IMG_0216.JPG

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
That was quick. My new rudder arrived yesterday and tomorrow I will be heading over to paint the bottom and test fit this thing. I am skeptical that the bushings will be to my liking since I didn't use my precision c clamp to measure the post diameter. My fault for not checking this when I placed the order. The new post measures 2.005 - 2.003 diameter and the old must have been just some hunk of junk tubing that was available. It measures 2.020 - 2.025 diameter. The new post and webbing are stainless where the original was aluminum. So perhaps a chunk of Delrin is in order and I'll whip up some new bushings since I like a .001 - .002 running fit. The rudder itself is actually quite impressive in it appears to be welded at the seam. It is neutral buoyancy and the drain holes are apparent on the bottom. Interesting in that it won't waterlog due to a foam core but comes with a warning not to paint the holes closed. Wonder if the zebra mussels will wind up in there in some fashion. So here is an actual side by side look at a more modern rudder for the Oday 27.012.JPG 011.JPG

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Well that worked, NOT. The rudder is too perfect for the boat. The forward edge is such a perfect radius that the slop artists who constructed the skeg and tube have it laminated for lots and lots of slop. So I will be using a drum sander to alter the radius in the skeg to a more appropriate radius with associated clearance so the thing has an even rudder angle on each side. While I'm about it I will go ahead and make some new bushings just because that's the way I roll. Stay tuned.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
BORING! No really, that's what it is called. Boring new bushings is always a fun little project. I bought a 3" X 12" Delrin rod from McMaster for a few bucks and some sanding drums and arbor. After an informative chat with Richard Warren of Ruddercraft regarding the new rudder he said I could sand the forward radius to allow and easier fit in the skeg. We discussed the welding of the seams which uses an extrusion welder. Works just like a standard MIG welder but with plastic. I must say the speed with which he replied to my inquiry on the tight fit was impressive. I let him know no problem as the rudder was precise but the boat not so much and I would be reworking the skeg and bushings since that was a better alternative. So if you have access to a lathe and a few hours you can make custom bushings that are superior to anything you can buy. Best part of all this is I will have two rudders and bushing sets in case I want to use one over another on a particular day.

Attachments

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Nice lathe, wish I had one. Looks like a good job for a kid at the local machine shop program at the community college if you don't own a lathe. Looks like you're having a blast up there in the frozen tundra.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
That's not a bad idea jibes. Many high school and community colleges offer vocational training and would enjoy an actual opportunity to make something other than grade projects. Today in addition to the annual stuff turkey down my throat I had a pleasant day to do the epoxy work for the modification of the skeg to accommodate the new rudder. Using high density filler to fill the voids from the original layup and adding 3 layers of 6oz cloth to provide a smooth and concentric shape should allow for many years of carefree service. Additionally the rudder will move freely to about 65 degrees port or starboard rather than impacting the skeg and wearing away at the skeg and sides of the rudder. This was a poor setup using the skeg for a positive stop which gave the characteristic wear mark on the 27s rudder.

Attachments

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Today in addition to erecting the frame, which is nothing more than a ridge pole, in anticipation of covering everything up for nap time I sanded the edges and radius and added another couple coats of epoxy to the skeg just to make sure everything is impervious to osmosis. Funny thing, you can stand and stare at something and never see the bigger issue. Reviewing the second photo it became obvious why in blazes the new rudder proved such an interesting project. Notice how the rudder tube is actually biased to port. Good reason to take many photos I guess. That explains the bind that required this slight modification. Huh, must have been a Monday morning boat. Anyway, if you decide on a new rudder get ready for a little additional work as Oday while a great boat was first and foremost a production boat that would, I suspect, hold true for many other boats from this era. Part of the fun for me is discovering the idiosyncracies which make each boat unique.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Tah Dah! Done. Fits perfect and looks radically different from the original. With the addition of a .010 plastic shim in the rudderhead, the difference between the new and old post diameter, and a minor reduction in the flange thickness on the top bushing to achieve a nice snug fit over the length and now it is time to wait for spring to try this little alteration out. The excess swing means I can't use the skeg for a positive stop as was the old system because I'll bash my legs with the tiller first unless, of course, I want to use it as a brake by swinging it to one side or another.

Attachments

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Joe. Why not make something to restrict the motion of the tiller to act as a stop. On a wheel steered boat they have stops for rudder motion on the quadrant. You could just put an eyebolt in the tiller and a length of line or bungee cord.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
I might have to do that jibes. The bungee or perhaps something like a hinge mount doorstop type of thing. It might be fun to call for a tack and whip that sucker hard over just to see if everyone is paying attention. Of course all boat speed would go to zero real quick no doubt so that could be a bummer but just the reaction to a U turn in it's length might be exciting.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
In the interest of staving off winter hysteria I decided to make a new mainsail cover. The old one was barely long enough to cover the sail without stuffing it forward. Sailrite had everything I needed for material and hardware which makes for an economical and fun project. A cheap wood burning kit makes a great hot knife for cutting Sunbrella. Though my sewing machine leaves a lot to be desired it proved sufficient for the job but certainly not a professional job. The most fun was a nifty addition of putting the boats name on as seen in the photo. Here's the link: http://www.flagpatchshop.com/siflpa.html I sewed them on as the temperature to affix the adhesive would prove higher than I would be comfortable with regarding melting the cover.

Attachments

Jun 18, 2012
Oday 27 Colton's Point, MD
I've been looking at this blog as I make repairs/renovations to my Day 27. Question: Did the interior cabin ceiling on your 27 have round fiberglass covers or caps over the bolts holding the deck handrails in place? If so, how did you remove them?

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
Ping! Hey 25, thought that I'd make a post to see how YOT's doing. Also, when's that book coming out? Pondering doing a deck recore on Karma, she's got some hollow sounding spots and cracked gelcoat areas, so thought I'd review these posting for a refresher. Planning on using Softsand and Awlgrip for non skid repair. Don't have the patience for factory quality renovation that you have :)