Anchoring with a bobstay - on a Cat 30 TRBS

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter Legend 35 Fairfield, CT
A question for those who have a bowsprit (we sail a Cat 30 tall rig with a bowsprit): how do you secure anchor or a mooring lines to the boat? After dropping anchor, we tie off on one of the bow cleats and NOT through the bow-sprit rollers, and same for a mooring. But the achor lines rubs against a bobstay as the boat swings around in the wind. Is there a better way? Any suggestions?

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE="After dropping anchor, we tie off on one of the bow cleats and NOT through the bow-sprit rollers, ...[/QUOTE]

FINALLY ! Someone who ads a picture withour being asked! So, why not go with plan "A" and use the anchor rollers?

Oct 28, 2013
We have just replaced our standing rigging (incl. bobstay) and according to the mechanic (who is very, very knowledgable) the bowsprit is not secured enough to hold the anchor line. There is not enough side-to-side support in a bowsprit. We just have not yet figured out a better option.

Oct 28, 2013
There is some side-to-side support on the bowsprit, but not enough...

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Maybe a bridle - from one cleat to the other with the anchor rode attached at the middle. That way the bridle goes to both cleats - one each side of the bob stay - and the anchor rode tugs at the bridle instead of fouling the stay. Also consider a length of 1" pvc pipe to cover the bob stay cable thus to provide anti chafe.

Charles

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
I don't have a sprit but I do rig a bridle on my anchor rode. I take a dock line the same diameter as the anchor rode and tie a rolling hitch on the rode. That wouldn't keep either from rubbing the bobstay but you could try adjusting the lines so they were both tight with the knot against the hull under the bobstay. Don't know if the geometry would allow that but it might work.
Even with chafe protection on the bobstay it seems like the rode would side load the sprit, which it is apparently not designed for.

Jan 6, 2010
Speaking of forces, here's a little story that you may find interesting & insightful.

I had a wooden bowsprit added by the PO. They used the boat for racing however,
they attached it very Mickey Mouse style. It was doomed to fail & it did on a perfect day
with a lovely guest onboard. I was lucky to jibe the nose downwind with my 155 to give me
time to keep the mast up using my 2 spare halyards & field tie what was left of the bowsprit.
It was a scary moment. The wood failed on both sides & the shock effect ripped the side
strap bolts right out of the hull. This sudden force also ripped out my bobstay top swage fitting
& all in the matter of 2 seconds with a large bang. This thread talks about forces right?

Making sure this would NEVER happen again, I went to Catalina (St. Pete.) & purchased
the newer fiberglas bowsprit. My bow was a slightly different shape but with a little modification,
Went up well. It was the wood that first failed then, the poorly installed straps then, the top bobstay
swage fitting failed.

I found Nitronic 50 for a bobstay replacement, Solid rod, 23,000 lb. tensile breaking strength I believe &
all mechanical fittings not swage. I reinforced (beefed up) hull
sides inside the anchor locker with fiber glassed-in S.S. backing plates. I did the same to
the bobstay bottom connection. Now, the boat will fold in half before the bowsprit fails.

I don't trust wood bowsprits. Also, maybe you should check inside the anchor locker & to see if the areas are beefed up to withstand forces. As for questioning anchor rode rubbing along the bobstay, the Nitronic 50 is smooth solid rod so, less chance for chaffing.

I'm only saying this, as a bowsprit is one VERY integral & important structural piece where failure is not an option. I attached a bowsprit pic.
ps: I also got rid of my wood spreaders.

Please don't shoot the messenger........

CR

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2013
I don't have a sprit but I do rig a bridle on my anchor rode. I take a dock line the same diameter as the anchor rode and tie a rolling hitch on the rode. That wouldn't keep either from rubbing the bobstay but you could try adjusting the lines so they were both tight with the knot against the hull under the bobstay. Don't know if the geometry would allow that but it might work.
Even with chafe protection on the bobstay it seems like the rode would side load the sprit, which it is apparently not designed for.
Thanks Capt JGW! Do you have a picture or a sketch to share? We are doing more anchoring and moorings now, and this is something that we need to solve.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
I'm away from the boat now so I can't get a picture. It's pretty simple though. I cleat the rode on one cleat then tie the dock line on with a rolling hitch. Let both lines out so they're the same length and cleat them off on each side. If your cleats are far enough back, you may be able to get the bridle to snug up to the hull below the bobstay. The geometry has to be right though.