Anchor Watch Software

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Hunter 380 Cape Coral, Fl
The SailSafe for Android app will do that, but you need two phones and cell connectivity. You start the application (after dropping anchor, of course) and set an anchor radius (and sector if you want). There is an option to call another phone for alarms, so carry the second phone to the beach and it will alert you. The caveat (other than chasing your drifiting boat with your dinghy), is you absolutely need cell service for both phones or no notice.
I wonder the If I have SailSafe on my Samsung Android and Samsung Tablet, If I can leave the Tablet on Boat, both have a GPS the Tablet can send an Email, just not make a call....

Obviously the IDEA is that even in good conditions, which can change, I would just like to know the boat is not dragging hook, wind could change direction or tide and anchor not reset...

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I wonder the If I have SailSafe on my Samsung Android and Samsung Tablet, If I can leave the Tablet on Boat, both have a GPS the Tablet can send an Email, just not make a call....
I just looked over the "Emergency Phone" options on SailSafe, and there is no provision for emails. Parts of the application are improved with the Pro version ($4.50). As a side note, I always get a kick out of people objecting to buying application upgrades. People pay thousands of bucks for marine electronics, but balk at a few bucks for apps.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
he had to depend on a GPS or other alarm to awaken him
If it just a back up, it is worth the $3 to add to crew and boat safety.

We sometimes anchor in a area that drifting into the ICW is possible if "skippy" wasn't timely.
Put it this way...
The Admiral sleeps better and enjoys the evening with her iPad anchor drift app.
Jim...

PS: I even bought a her a night vision viewer so when she feels uneasy, she can see 300+ yards to make sure other are not drifting into us.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Not sure when the PO installed a Loran on our 1991 boat, but it was before we took possession in 2002. It works quite well and has an anchor alarm feature that I have used before, that is once it acquires.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Terry; What signal is your LORAN acquiring? The system was shut down 7 or 8 years ago.

Dec 25, 2000
Terry; What signal is your LORAN acquiring? The system was shut down 7 or 8 years ago.
As you can tell it has been awhile since I used it. It used to work quite well, but usually took several minutes to acquire. Maybe President Trump will bring it back.

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Consider Boat Beacon. It show AIS equipped vessels as you proceed en route. As to 'at anchor', sends you E mail if your boat moves. Obviously, requires cell phone contact w/ data access but pretty cool and really good where there a bunch of AIS equipped traffic - like Puget Sound, Gulf Islands, inside Vancouver Is. The price is right too.

Charles

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
From what I remember the system relied on a system of shore based low frequency radio transmitters (piggy backed on HF antenna iirc) Since you are talking about "acquiring" a signal you must have one of the true automatic units. The first one I used was a surplus ww2 unit that was 12x10x30 for the display and an even bigger power unit below deck. Later we got a new on much smaller 10x8x15. Both were manual meaning you selected a frequency played with knobs until the TD bumps in an display superimposed. Then pick a frequency that was as close to 90 degrees to the first and repeat. The knobs gave a delay for each frequency which you used a special TD chart to see where you were. Later units were self tracking once the initial position was determined. GPS is sooo much better, more accurate

I guess what I ment to say is the signal is instantionusly acquired. Determining you position from the signal took the hardware of the day some time to figure out. Even if Trump turned the radios back on where would you find the charts to go with it??

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
It is an energy hog, depletes the phone battery by morning. I quit using it.
I agree, but I plug my phone car charger into a 12v outlet in the berth so I can sleep soundlay and know my phone will make it through the night. I could also plug it into my jump start battery if I was worried about my battery bank.

Greg

Dec 25, 2000
Old school here, but a few questions for those more tech savvy. Most all my boat instruments are 1991 vintage ST50s; wind, depth, speed, autopilot, etc. Even my fixed VHF is 1991. I have a newer (ten year) VHF handheld by WM and a Garmin 178C GPS that I installed in 2005. Other than AIS or even a reliable anchor watch device, these still work well and satisfy my basic cruising needs.

No interest in buying more gadgets, such as an iPad, newer model GPS or fixed VHF. Even my cell phone is the low tech flip type. And I only carry it with me on the boat so that family can reach me while out cruising. What would you suggest for:

1. AIS? Unable to find a handheld VHF equipped with AIS.
2. Anchor alarm? It appears the old Loran is out, but it did have a working anchor alarm albeit hard to hear unless I left the aft cabin door open. The cockpit GPS unit has an anchor alarm, but unable to hear it from the aft cabin. Maybe some kind of remote from it, but since it was manufacturer discontinued several years ago...

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
No interest in buying more gadgets, such as an iPad, newer model GPS or fixed VHF. .... What would you suggest for:

1. AIS? Unable to find a handheld VHF equipped with AIS.
2. Anchor alarm? It appears the old Loran is out, but it did have a working anchor alarm albeit hard to hear unless I left the aft cabin door open. The cockpit GPS unit has an anchor alarm, but unable to hear it from the aft cabin....
1. A newer fixed VHF with AIS.
2. Another handheld GPS for the aft cabin.

I know, I know. :rolleyes:

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
The cockpit GPS unit has an anchor alarm, but unable to hear it from the aft cabin. Maybe some kind of remote from it, but since it was manufacturer discontinued several years ago...
Your Garmin 178C is similar to my Garmin GPSMAP 2006 in that they both have a takeoff for a 100 mA load to power an alarm. This allows you to insert a relay with a small coil (about10-20 mA) and then the sky's the limit for loading.

Garmin.JPG

For a drag anchor alarm annunciator, I used an old automotive door chime. This gives off a pleasant sound (rather than a loud buzzer) at 03:00 which is the only time the anchor decides to drag. The annunciator sits in the ceiling above the salon and can be heard everywhere throughout the boat.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Terry, I have seen base stations VHF's with AIS. Standard Horizon even has remote mikes with AIS from the base station. But no handhelds with AIS yet. Wait a bit and someone will bring it to market.
Of course there all sorts of AIS apps for the iPhone or Android. But you'll have to give up your flip phone and loose a bit of that cool whip it out of your pocket flip like a switch blade answering technique you've perfected. ;)

Dec 25, 2000
Your Garmin 178C is similar to my Garmin GPSMAP 2006 in that they both have a takeoff for a 100 mA load to power an alarm. This allows you to insert a relay with a small coil (about10-20 mA) and then the sky's the limit for loading.
Hi Ralph, thanks for the tip. I will look into that connection. Sounds like a workable solution. Wanna buy an old used Loran cheap? :biggrin:

Dec 25, 2000
But you'll have to give up your flip phone and loose a bit of that cool whip it out of your pocket flip like a switch blade answering technique you've perfected.
Hi John, I know, I know. But I really dislike smartphones.

Second week in April plan on cruising over to Roche during spring break, weather permitting.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Will see. I am trying to complete the projects. Not sure if possible in the dwindling time frame. Are you still teaching?

Dec 25, 2000
Will see. I am trying to complete the projects. Not sure if possible in the dwindling time frame. Are you still teaching?
A different form of teaching, a bottom dwelling school bus driver. Easiest job I've ever had, great kids, all grades, year eleven.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I suppose most any chandlery will carry the relay in question?
Doubtful, as this is not a boating item but rather an electronics item. If you have an electronics store near you, just ask for a 10 A relay with a 12 VDC coil. The coil draw should be very low but just ensure that it's less than the rated 100 mA of the GPSMAP 178C. For mounting the relay and any other other items, use a breadboard and enclose the whole thing in a plastic electronics box. If the sales people are electronics nerds, take a drawing with you and they'll sell you everything you need.