Anchor swing on a Hunter 33.5

Feb 17, 2008
Hunter 36 Kristiansund N, Norway
Buy a riding sail. I have the one from bannerbaymarine. Never regretted a minute. Much calmer in the cocpit when anchored and less strain on the gear. It is the only thing that works in my opinion.

Feb 17, 2008
And how will that stop the swing?
Just act as a spring. Could actually make it worse when the rod get streched and this pulls back. But good for the rest of the anchoring. I use it all the time combined with a riding sail.

tgrady

Nov 22, 2013
Hunter 33.5 North Vancouver
Nice. Dumb question maybe but how do you haul it up? If you use the main halyard then what holds up the boom? If you use a halyard on Fractional does it swing around the mask OK? Do you find the lines holding down the fins get in your way?

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
So you are anchoring 45 degrees to the wind? Can you sketch it out and include it in a post?
I'm absolutely horrible at drawing so picture this. The anchor chain and the hook and line assembly are at roughly just forward of midships and are at roughly a 45 degree angle to each other. That creates the new pivot location that the anchor and rode are attached to. But the angle that the rode is from there is anybodies guess, I can't see it, it's too deep in the water at that point. I'm going to guess it takes off forward and a bit to the side from there. It's more like your riding offset to the rode by half the length of the boat, so in my case 20' off. I have no swing what so ever with this configuration and it just keeps getting easier every time I set it up. It also doesn't matter which is stronger the boat always settles out against the pressure and stays there. I haven't had to do any readjustments for wind or current shifts it all takes care of itself once set. I will attempt a picture from the mast.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Real close. Aft line goes to aft winch, so just a few feet from stern. That puts the yoke of the Y just forward of midship. Anchor to line geometry is unknown but as you do it it seems like the boat is a bit closer to windward just not swinging. Good drawing.

tgrady

Nov 22, 2013
Hunter 33.5 North Vancouver
It would depend on the length of your aft line and where it is attache to the rode but I get the idea. Do you get much wave slap on the hull?

upload_2016-7-27_10-45-31.png

Feb 17, 2008
Nice. Dumb question maybe but how do you haul it up? If you use the main halyard then what holds up the boom? If you use a halyard on Fractional does it swing around the mask OK? Do you find the lines holding down the fins get in your way?
No the lines is not in a he way, they are fastened on the arch on my hunter. But they should be ok on any yacht. I have two main halyards and a Selden Rod kik so the boom is no problem.
See bannerbaymarine.com and

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
It would depend on the length of your aft line and where it is attache to the rode but I get the idea. Do you get much wave slap on the hull?

View attachment 126304
That's a better drawing but I can't swear by the angles. No wave slap so far but my anchorages have been fairly calm. I think it's less side to the wind/waves than you think.