Anchor swing on a Hunter 33.5

tgrady

Nov 22, 2013
Hunter 33.5 North Vancouver
I am new to the cruising world and have a '92 Hunter 33.5 I have hooked up to a buoy and dropped an anchor and it seems that I swing back and forth more than other boats. It my be the location where I anchored but is seemed excessive. Anybody else have this issue or a way to limit it? Maybe it is the boat?

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
Yes. No.
We all swing like that. You can try a riding sail but the easiest thing to do is just live with it. Others have commented on this and you can try a search but my advice is just accepted it and don't worry about it.

tgrady

Nov 22, 2013
New? I have a 1992 Hunter 33.5. And what is a fast reset anchor?

Also, maybe people are misinterpreting what I am a saying. I swing about 120 degrees around a pivot point of the bow. Maybe more to port than starboard.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
New meaning common era boats mostly from mid 80s on. Believe us, we know what you are talking about.

tgrady

Nov 22, 2013
Thank you all! Your responses were both informative and entertaining!

So I am looking at the riding sail solution. Seems like the FinDelta looks really nice but pricey. Do the other simple ones really work for about half the price? Anybody have experience with either? I really don't like swinging: two anchors are painful, a bridle has other complication, doesn't seem like a sea anchor would work in my water.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
How much chain do you have. i.e. all chain, some chain or no chain.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
We tried a riding sail but got tired of it floping back and forth so got rid of it. It was also a pain to deploy.

tgrady

Nov 22, 2013
100 ft chain. 300 of rope. Last weekend was all the chain and 30 ft of rope in 25+
How about the wedge? That looks pretty easy.

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
Seems like the FinDelta looks really nice but pricey.
Looks like a gimmick to me. I also have a 33.5 and never noticed anything unusual about swinging at anchor. However, I only have 50 ft of chain.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
More chain would make it "dance" less. If you watch the movement of the boat, it will swing to one side until the weight of the chain overcomes the force of the wind. I have 50 ft of chain and typically anchor with 75 ft of rode. The line will not stop me from swing hence tend to dance more at anchor.
All chain will help the swing. There are also many, many, many posts on this and a lot of good results with a rising sail and lots of other suggestions to limit the dance.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
You can rig a BRIDLE. This is a line from the anchor rode (chain or line) back to a jib sheet winch. You use it to cock the boat off to one side and it will sail less at anchor which is what you care describing: sailing at anchor. This idea is from Lin & Larry Pardey.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Do a search in the archives. This subject has been discussed extensively.

You will see it is a common phenomena that due to hull shape, extreme freeboard, wing keel and mast position that these boats sail like a banshee on anchor. It seems particularly bad on Hunters. Our Hunter 38 will swing so wildly sometimes that it feels like you are going to get whiplash.
What's worse for me is that I can be anchored with 10 other boats and they will all point in one direction and I can be complete 180 from them and going in circles.

I did buy a Fin Delta and it helps immensely.

When you do an archive search you will see posts on anchor riding sails, dragging a stern anchor, dragging a 5 gallon bucket with holes in it, and other methods people have used to reduce the swing.

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
I have a Hunter 356 and experienced that same thing, even warned by previous owner.
Purchased a Sailrite riding sail and that helped a lot, rig it from the topping lift to end of boom and sheet to mast. You can see it in my Avatar.

Also upgraded my ground tackle to a larger anchor and 50' of chain from 15' (same time installed a windlass) and that keeps the boat from dancing too much.
Thinking of also running a snubber from front cleats to the anchor line to keep the pressure point lower and off the bow a bit, and to add some give if still on chain.

Jeff
s/v LegaSea
2003 Hunter 356

Sep 3, 2012
Hunter 285 Grand Rivers Ky
Does putting a small mushroom anchor with short rode on the stern help? I dunno, just asking.