Anchor locker hatch problem

Mar 28, 2018
Catalina 310, hull #315 Toronto
Hello, everyone!

As usual with the "new used" boat, small things continue to pop up on my boat. During the pre-purchase inspection, it was noted that the anchor locker hatch had some softness to it. It has been identified as an issue with water penetrating beyond the outer layers and the core rotting within. The selling brokerage agreed to fix the problem prior to delivery and did, in a way, by injecting something into the hatch and making it rigid again. However, whoever was doing the job has obviously not thought of a natural camber to the fore deck around the anchor locker, and instead of keeping the underside of the hatch "curved", they've laid it on a flat surface, with the obvious result of the repaired hatch losing any preexisting curvature. Of course, now it won't close properly, with 4/5" gap on the starboard side near the latch unless I force it down - not a good idea since it will eventually spring the hinges making matters even worse. I have noted that the hatch won't close properly as I was picking the boat up, but was assured that it simply "needs time to settle"... :(

I am not sure I can force them to fix the issue and so would appreciate any advice on how the veterans would go about remedying the situation. Alternatively - anyone knows where I could get a replacement hatch, perhaps? Catalina Direct doesn't appear to have them. I have not contacted Catalina Yachts yet.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
... I have noted that the hatch won't close properly as I was picking the boat up, but was assured that it simply "needs time to settle"... :(
Wow, that's a pretty wild statement. It's right up there with "the check's in the mail".

...I am not sure I can force them to fix the issue and so would appreciate any advice on how the veterans would go about remedying the situation. ...
I think that you probably need to find a local fiberglass shop & see what they say.

If you want to tackle the job yourself, This guy has some of the best self help videos that I have ever seen.
https://www.boatworkstoday.com/videos/
One of his videos covers making replacement hatches from scratch.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I re-cored a locker cover not to long ago. In my case, the water actually came from the underside (the glass was not fully wet-out). Easy, working from the underside. However...
* This was not nearly my first FRP project.
* I laid it on spacers to maintain the curve while curing. Came out better than new (since I also reinforced it a little).

Maybe something here will help.
http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2018/06/bad-core.html
http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2018/06/more-rudder-and-anchor-locker-lid.html

Mar 28, 2018
Obviously you are a smarter and more professional repairman than whoever “fixed” mine. I am pretty sure I wouldn’t be able to do nearly as well. :(

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Can you go back to the original repairer and say Now do it right?

Mar 28, 2018
Well, I've already done that. No response so far.
Actually, happy to report that the people who've "fixed" the locker originally came back to me and offered to fix the issue over this coming off-season. I am not sure how exactly it could be done short of getting a new hatch, so inquiring about the details. Will keep you guys posted.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
At least they came back and did not start the "your Who?" thing!! :biggrin:

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Obviously you are a smarter and more professional repairman than whoever “fixed” mine. I am pretty sure I wouldn’t be able to do nearly as well. :(
Actually, this is not difficult on a hatch you can remove.
http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2018/06/bad-core.html
  • Cut the skin with a hand grinder and peal.
  • Let dry and then clean up with a wire wheel. Core comes off easy and fast.
  • Bed new core with thickened epoxy. Roll it down.
  • Sand new core level (it won't be). Sands easy and fast with a disk.
  • Fill gaps with thickened epoxy. Smooth with spreader.
  • Lay a few layers of glass cloth over and work epoxy through with spreader.

Depending on what they did, it may not be to hard to do as I described above (more grinding to get the skin off). But they have made the job harder than it needed to be.