Anchor for a 41ac /41ds

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
I'm thinking I need to replace the oe Lewmar/delta 45# anchor on my 08 41ds with a Mantus or Ronca. I have 100' chain and 200' nylon rode. What kind of experiences have y'all had and did you have to modify your roller if you replaced the anchor?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Rocna provides patterns that you can use to determine fit to your bow. Mantus provides dimensions. Manson provides dimensions. Sizing depends on intended use. A larger anchor stays in the bottom better if you need to anchor in deeper water and end up with short scope. My system required a swivel and the bow roller would not pass an anchor shackle, this was my solution.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Advice often given ... an anchor is a safety system, not a convenience. Imagine your bed and partner are suspended from a single rope off the edge of a tall cliff and you're going to sleep, because that's what you're doing. I went with Rocna, for my anticipated bottom conditions, and went a size up from their recommendations (which are already very conservative).

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
Have Mantus 45# anchor on my 41DS. Works great. Only small issue is top of shank hits bottom of roller furler when raising anchor to stored position in bow roller. Labor day sale going on at Mantus, 10 % off with code
MAEE10D

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
54# delta with 200’ of chain on a mantus swivel. Been a great anchor for our 41ds. Held in some pretty bad stuff

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I have a Mantus 65, it's considered the storm anchor for our 41s. I also have the Mantus swivel and the Mantus anchor mate for the bow roller and the Mantus original chain hook so I can change the attachment point of the anchor to reduce swing which is a real problem on these Henderson bottoms.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Personally, I believe an anchor is too large only if it materially affects the trim of the boat, or doesn't fit in the roller. Were I buying an anchor today I would buy the largest Rochna that would fit in my roller, hopefully something around 35 kg. Right now we have a 60Lb CQR with 120 ft 5/15 HT, and 200 ft 3/4 inch braid on braid. Has served us well. When we anchor, I like to be able to sleep.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Danko. I just installed a Mantus 35lb 105’ chain and 250’ rode on my Cal 35’ Cruiser 15000lb boat. I expect it to serve me well. Your boat size and weight would be served by a 45lb anchor.
@LeslieTroyer has used the 35lb Mantus in storm weather with positive results.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Have Mantus 45# anchor on my 41DS. Works great. Only small issue is top of shank hits bottom of roller furler when raising anchor to stored position in bow roller. Labor day sale going on at Mantus, 10 % off with code
MAEE10D
I also had that problem with the anchor striking the roller furler drum during stowing. I solved it by installing another pin through the roller housing to hold the anchor down as it passes the drum. Works fine.

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
60# Manson Supreme with 300' of chain on my 410. It hits the bottom of the furler when lifting, butI know and have a system to not allow it to be a problem (If I put a bail on it never would be a problem). Has never dragged in 7 years, including the last 2 years full time cruising.

Bet you are seeing a size trend by now.

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
55 lb galvanized Mantus. Ditched the "evergreen colored" rode that always hung up in the gypsy for a now total 300' of chain. As mentioned above, you are betting at a minimum your boat with the quality of your ground tackle. Also a good anchor app on your phone with an alarm for drag will help you sleep. The Mantus swivel could probably haul a tank up your bow roller and IMHO is a necessary piece of the Mantus system. I also have the Anchor Mate. Always lines it up straight on the bow and required zero modification. Just bolt and play. Have the same problem with "swivel bump" on the furler. Solution so far is just a light touch to hold chain down between furler and gypsy with deck shoe when bringing it through the roller. The wireless remote I installed gives me a slow speed option. I also bought the 5/16 SS hook for the snubber but found it to be a bust because it jams to easy bringing it back up through my roller. BTW 480 bucks was a smoking buy for a top end 55 pound hook.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
25 kg Rocna on our 410. 200 chain/150 rope. Zero complaints, sets fast without plowing along the bottom. No swivel, and I tie a 30' dockline to the chain with a rolling hitch to take all strain off the windlass.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2009
Hunter 420 Olympia WA
55lb Mantus with 275 feet of chain on my 420. I have been incredibly impressed with the holding power and ease of setting the Mantus. Did have a Lewmar 45 plow, sometimes I couldn't get it to bite for anything. I highly reccomend the Mantus!
--Jim