Among the winter projects......

Aug 7, 2013
O'day 39' 25th Anniversary Mystic, CT
So among the winter projects on my list for 2018, is the updating of our battery charger. I am certain that I will buy the Sterling Pro Ultra 40 from Maine Sail, but my uncertainty lies in where it is to be installed. Our electrician, (yes, we source out that type of work per order of the Admiral-who is also our self appointed safety officer), says that we should relocate it from its current location. I am not convinced that this is necessary, as the current battery charger has been in this location probably forever. I would like to hear serious opinions as to the current location versus finding a new location. The current location is on the forward bulkhead inside the starboard sail locker. The new location is a hard find.....

Tony
s/v Faster Horses

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
What's her reasoning for relocating the charger? The new one is will be much lighter and perhaps a bit smaller than the old one.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Tony,
I'm working on the install of my Sterling Pro Charge Ultra 30 which I purchased from Maine Sail.
Here is an excerpt from the installation manual concerning the charger.

"19) Conforms to A.B.Y.C. drip test. Waterproof when water is dropped directly on to the top of the unit ( +/ - 17 degrees ) if installed correctly (vertically).
20) The printed circuit boards are conformal coated for high humidity operations. "

Sounds like installing in a sail locker would be fine but you know who I would ask? Main Sail. He probably can tell you exactly the best location.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Looks like your current location gets wet.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Look at those terminals. Find a dryer location. How far away are your batteries? Does it get hot near them?

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@FasterHorses Tony you will want to have a dry site that allows you to inspect the LED battery charging information on the charger. You will also want enough space around the unit so that you get good air flow to provide cooling air. Location will be best near the batteries as it affects the size of the DC charging wires you will need to run to the batteries. The AC wires are not as significant issue, I believe mine are standard marine 3 wire 12AWG.

I have found my unit to be a great selection.