Am I supposed to have bow rollers?

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
Catalina 30 Gulfport, Mississippi
Anyone recognize this setup on my 1989 Catalina 30 TR? Catalina Direct has nothing like this in the store which makes me wonder did my boat ever have bow rollers? The space is only 1.5" on each side and they don't sell rollers that small.
Photo attached...

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Looks like the tall rig setup? 30s on each side of me do not have rollers. Cut some with a table or miter saw. I did that for my B323.

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
Crap, I didn't say what boat. I'll update my post. What do they have? Just a rod like mine?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Go to Catalina Direct, they have the rollers to put over the "rods."

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
Yeah, this is the answer I got from them:
Josef, The sheaves for the anchor roller are available through our parts dept.
Gerry Douglas
Not real helpful, is it? Does parts department mean I have to call some number I don't know, or does it mean it's the website where I need to know a part number to look it up?
If you are shopping at Catalina Direct , pleae be advised that is not a part of Catalina Yachts.
GD
Can't he just answer the damn question without all the riddles?

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
I have the 1988 Mark II model with the same bow sprit and hardware. The BLACK nylon rollers Catalina Direct sells fit into this space. Looking at your photo I can see that the sides are slightly angled in, which would make the roller a snug if not impossible fit, but you can bend the sides out a bit in order for the rollers to fit. You need these rollers for your anchor chain and line. Over time the rubber gets brittle and pieces can break off from dry rot and/or the chain contact, that is why the previous owner probably removed them. No different then those rubber caps that fit on the boarding ladder off the stern! I am sure Catalina Direct can provide assistance. Measure the space and compare to Catalina Direct, BUT you will need to open both sides a bit more from what I see.
Bob
1988 Mark II - 30 Catalina Tall Rig

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
Only the upper part is bent.
Contacted Catalina Parts and got Scott who said,
The following two photos depict a bow roller that is approximately 2” in diameter and 1 ½ in height. If this will fit your roller they are $18.00 each , plus shipping and any applicable Sales Tax. They are in stock currently.
Nothing in Catalina Direct I have found matches these dimensions.
bow roller 2.jpg
bow roller 1.jpg

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
It might, but I'd rather buy the part that was meant to be there if it's available, rather than causing more work by re-engineering the wrong part and hoping it works.

Dec 28, 2014
Catalina 30 TRBS Long Beach Harbor (MS)
I'm in Long Beach (MS) harbor a few miles from you. My Catalina 30 TR has rollers on the bowsprit. You can come take a look if you like.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
since you got a reply from mr. douglass has it occured to you to call him instead of asking an anonymous website? one of the many advantantages of owning a catalina is gerry douglass.