Alternator rebuild.

Apr 2, 2015
Catalina 36 MK11 Dana Point
I have an OEM alternator on a Universal 35B with 900 HRS on it . I do not know the history of service on the alternator , I assume it has not been touched. It seems to be operating fine and charges my two 4D house bank batteries and staring battery with no problem.

The question is , should I be looking at having it rebuilt soon before i have an issue , I.E. brushes etc.?

Second , question . I have the original Charles Industries 30 amp C-CHarger. Its in good shape but it doesn't have manual equalizer option and it seems like it doesn't want to stay at a high enough amp charge for long enough to get a deep charge on the batteries . It goes to float mode within a few minutes and then the NEW batteries start to self discharge with no load within a day after taking of charger. Manufacture said they would rebuild and add equalizer option for not much $ , is it worth keeping or would I be better off getting a new technology charger ? And if so any suggestions in the $300 range or less ?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Sandy, our OEM alternator lasted for over 2,000 hours. I would spend some time looking around your neighborhood for a quality alternator repair shop, always good to know one. We found one here from a referral from a C36 skipper. Generally it's not a preventative maintenance item. You could start looking for a replacement alternator to have as a backup when/if yours needs repair.

Re chargers, I have never been a fan of Charles equipment for many reasons. Here's a great replacement:

Wiring a new charger From Maine Sail: http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=136765

Apr 2, 2015
Catalina 36 MK11 Dana Point
Sandy, our OEM alternator lasted for over 2,000 hours. I would spend some time looking around your neighborhood for a quality alternator repair shop, always good to know one. We found one here from a referral from a C36 skipper. Generally it's not a preventative maintenance item. You could start looking for a replacement alternator to have as a backup when/if yours needs repair.

Re chargers, I have never been a fan of Charles equipment for many reasons. Here's a great replacement:

Wiring a new charger From Maine Sail: http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=136765
I think its time for a new charger , I found the Sterling Pro Charge Ultra for $285 on line. Also may get the remote for $72. Thanks for the input !!!

Nov 9, 2009
catalina 25 wing keel rutledge tn.
Make sure the belt on the alternator is not too tight and not too loose and don`t worry about it. If the belt is too tight the bearings inside the alternator will be damaged. Too loose and it will not fully charge the batteries. The alternator will last a long time and I would not worry about it unless I was going offshore for days at a time. Even if the alternator failed a diesel engine will still run without it long enough to get you back to the dock.