Alternator belt

Feb 9, 2005
Catalina 310 City Island, New York City
Anybody know generic alternator belt from Napa Auto Parts for C310?
Suggestions appreciated.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Anybody know generic alternator belt from Napa Auto Parts for C310?
Suggestions appreciated.
My notes say: Belt: Westerbeke 30475, Gates 7395. Dacor TopCog 15395. 39.5" by .44" wide. The TopCog is a much better belt, I think. Unfortunately my notes don’t say where I got this info from. Possibly the C34 site?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:plus: on @marchem 's info. If NAPA get their high grade belt. It is worth the extra money. Will give you longer service and less likely to wear (throw dust) if you have your pulley's in alignment.

Feb 9, 2005
Catalina 310 City Island, New York City
Thank you both. Napa had the Gates 7395 so I got a couple of those. Cogs down they told me.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Cogs down they told me.
Correct. Most belts are cogs down.
The Dayco Top Cog is made to be installed with cogs up. It's supposed to have more belt to pulley contact area.
If NAPA go with the XL belt, it's the better quality belt @jssailem mentions.

Maine Sail recommends either the Dayco Top Cog or the NAPA XL belts. I found the Dayco at Advanced Auto Parts.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Many V-belts have so-called cogs cut into then, usually on the inside (down); I presume it makes them more flexible and better able to conform to the "V" of the pulley. But, who knows?

Dayco cuts cogs into the top. According to them, "The Dayco Top Cog V-Belt delivers more flexibility and increases airflow around the belt so it runs cooler and lasts longer than most competitive belts."

Just googled it, there's a ton of info out there. Here's a short article that compares types, but unfortunately doesn't mention serpentine belts, which is the premium set-up for high-current alternators.

https://www.achrnews.com/articles/107928-replace-v-belts-with-cogged-or-synchronous-belt-drives