Registered users don't see ads

Almost

Discussion in 'Catalina 22' started by T_Cat, Jun 3, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Joe

Joe

Joined Jun 1, 2004
    6,435 posts, 317 likes
    Catalina 27
    US Mission Bay, San Diego
    No offense, but to consider a Hobie 16 the "Ferrari" of beach cats is a bit far fetched. It might be the "volkswagon" of the genre, in that it was so popular, but it was probably the slowest and least technical beach cat of that era. It was this simplicity that made it so easy to learn to sail and made them popular as resort rentals. Plus, the Rainbow colored sails were quite the thing.

2. Scott T-Bird

Scott T-Bird

Joined Oct 26, 2008
    3,343 posts, 457 likes
    Starwind 27
    US Barnegat, NJ
    I'm not saying it can't be sailed by a younger sailor, I'm saying that righting it after a capsize could be an issue. Before I left for college, I doubt I weighed more than 160# and I doubt that I would have been able to get a Hobie 16 righted in deep water (definitely not alone). Some people had a Hobie 14 that seemed like it was more manageable for a teenager. Not knowing the age of kids or the circumstance of the original poster, I'm suggesting a Hobie 16 might be too much to handle, (both from a set-up perspective and sailing) and there may be better choices if he wants to leave a boat on the beach for the kids to use without direct supervision and constant oversight. That kind of circumstance isn't available to everybody. I grew up with a lot of free time at a vacation home on a small lake and also within a bicycle ride from several beaches on Lake Michigan so the opportunity to sail was ever-present in the summer - my kids did not, so their exposure to sailing was only when I made it possible for them by taking them sailing. Nobody's circumstance is ever the same, and I've found that there is no such thing as "one size fits all".

Will Gilmore likes this.

Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.
Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.
Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!