"All Is Lost". Should I give it another chance?

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I thought Adrift was better than All is Lost. Fewer inaccuracies. BTW just saw Mission Impossible. I would give it 5 out of 4 stars (you read right). Totally impossible but they tell you that in the title so there.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
We have external Hard Drive with 800+ movies using iTunes on Apple TV. Most of the movies were free or purchased off DVD's when they are priced at <$5.00.

So we run about 1 year behind Hollywood max profit timing.
One of the $3.95 DVD'S we just got was, 2011's "The Lincoln Lawyer" was very good.

The Admiral will not allow Castaway, Perfect Storm, Poseidon Adventure... etc on that Hard Drive.:yikes:

Captain Ron :thumbup:
Jim...

PS: Dont worry... "If is gonna happen, it gonna happen out there!":pimp:
Go for a cruise on one of those big luxury cruise ships, and have them play the Titanic theme while you are boarding.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Justin, we went to Mama Mia II last Thursday or Friday afternoon......Really entertaining!!! Patrick

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Justin, we went to Mama Mia II last Thursday or Friday afternoon......Really entertaining!!! Patrick
Just came home from Momma Mia. It was a good movie- better than I expected. Yeah, I got chocked up toward the end. Now I'll have to catch the original on TV. Does anyone know what the sailboat make is?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Titanic theme
That is another movie that is prohibited on our Boat's collection of movies!!!
Really:laugh:
_____
Flight of the Intruder
Now you are getting personal, John. "Officer and a Gentleman" is also a page out of my life history too.:shhh:
Jim...

PS: Snuggling with the Admiral and whispering.. "I looked just like "Richard Gere" in my Tropical White Longs".

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I bet you did. If Richard could play Center.
A lean mean snuggling machine.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
The best sailing movie is, of course, "Captain Ron". It is filled with correct and true information about the boat, sailing (or how not to), and the engine (Diesels love their oil) (always add oil before you start). I watch it every time.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Diesels love their oil
This is a great and true statement.

always add oil before you start
Captain Ron drifted here a bit. If you have to add oil every time you start there is a problem that needs to be solved. Your either burning oil (black smoke) or leaving a slick behind the boat (CG and Water Nuts hate that... not kind to fishies).

I like Captain Ron as a movie just not the bible for cruising. The dancing... not too bad. The beckoning Island Maiden... Hubba Hubba.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
All is Lost is a movie that if you put yourself in the place of "our man" and pay attention to what is said, the actions, looks on his face, you will see that he is at sea because he failed at life and he is trying to get his life back together and also make amends to his significant others. He does NOT do everything right, he is trying to amend his faults.
He is not Captain Ron nor nor Joshua Slocum. It is not a movie for everyone but it is deep.
And yes I think he lived at the end/my wife does not! :)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Maybe I'll give it another chance. Thanks for the discussion.
Still not sure about Mamma Mia o_O

Jul 22, 2011
Mariner Yacht Co.(NH) Mariner 28 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
What Alansails said. It is not about an experienced sailor, but a guy who wanted to do a circumnavigation. He did a lot of research, but learned nothing. It is a sad movie in a lot of ways. The sextent scene made me tear up. You can't watch it as a what would a sailor do? type of movie. Well, you can, but you'll hate it. Redford does a good job. Lots of quotable dialogue-)!
Lou

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The movie is pretty lame, so it is your call. The most important thing is to stop the inflow of water, you can pump the water out at a later time. The bilge pump is a convenience item to discharge incidental water that collects in the bilge; it is not designed to or capable of handling a large influx of water. A bilge pump rated for 1000 GPH may only discharge 200 GPH at best in a real life installation. A manual gusher pump or 120V electric pumps are necessary to get water out fast. If I remember he does a fair job of stopping the inflow and gets some of the water out. He tries to portray the calm necessary to deal with an emergency and the slow movements of an old man. I don't even remember how the movie ends.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
How about wind? About everything that could go wrong in a race, does. Despite all of that I really liked the movie's music and was able to track down the partial sound track and paid stupid money for a cd. Many of the tracks are unfinished but I still like it.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
This may sound odd, but I've been wanting to see it again.
It's a sailor, on a sailboat, on the ocean. The filmography alone draws me back.
I laughed and scoffed the first time.
But, well, I wouldn't mind seeing it again. Maybe alone with a bottle of cab.
I'll just pretend I don't know anything about sailing.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I hate to beat a dead horse. I tried to watch All Is Lost some more. He's killing me! A storm is brewing so he goes down to eat. He waits until a full blow to try and hank on his storm jig?? It's no wonder he gets washed overboard. At least he has a harness on. He made it look too easy for a guy his age to pull himself back on board after nearly drowning. I give up! He makes sailors look like fools.