"All Is Lost". Should I give it another chance?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I started watching the movie last night on Amazon prime. I only got a few minutes into it and said to myself, I don't think I can sit through this. I don't think this is a spoiler, but after he gets himself off of the container, wouldn't you think Redford would do something about the thigh deep water down below before he sinks? He just walks back and forth in it assessing other damage. And why isn't his bilge pump working?
Does this film get any better? I also quit watching Slum Dog Millionaire when he fell into all that sh...t at the beginning. It was too disturbing to watch more of that. I hear it was a good movie though. Am I missing out on some good movies?

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Sometimes you just have to sit your way through the entire film. I 'had' to do that for Star Wars. All of them. But at least finish Slum Dog. I liked the Bollywood dance at the end. LOL. All the people who died in the movie come back to life for the dance at the end. Classic.

Now, if All Is Lost had a Bollywood dance, maybe... LOL But in all honestly, I enjoyed All Is Lost. Yeah, too many ...WAIT...WHAT DID I JUST SEE?... moments, but I looked past them.

Enjoy.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I don't know Brian. My wife said I had to watch the first "Mamma Mia" before we go see "Mamma Mia 2" so I did. I don't know that I can sit thru a singing and dancing redux and look interested. ;)

Feb 17, 2006
The singing and dancing in Slum Dog is at the very end. I don't recall any during the movie itself.

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
If you watch All is Lost as a sailor, you will be critical from beginning to end. There is so much that is technically just plain wrong. If can suspend your inner sailor's voice, then it is just a "meh" kind of movie. Not bad, not great. Meh. I was able to put my "expert" hat away, and I found that I was able to get some pleasure out if seeing a pretty sailboat on the big screen.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I read you Mike. I usually overlook most inaccuracies in just about every movie and try appreciate the story instead. This movie is about survival I assume, so Redford's actions are important I would think. Maybe not. Maybe the movie has a different story from what I expect.
I have watched Master and Commander several times, if there are errors, I missed them. You really got a sense of living on board a tall ship.

Feb 17, 2006
Taking one's hat off is easy sometimes. I did so for All Is Lost and enjoyed just the story line. Oh, but let there be a movie about Marines, no way ho za. I am so 'attention to detail' it makes me sick. LOL

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Taking one's hat off is easy sometimes. I did so for All Is Lost and enjoyed just the story line. Oh, but let there be a movie about Marines, no way ho za. I am so 'attention to detail' it makes me sick. LOL
Ditto. I despised "Jarhead". Never bothered with the sequel. Semper Fi

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I don't know Brian. My wife said I had to watch the first "Mamma Mia" before we go see "Mamma Mia 2" so I did. I don't know that I can sit thru a singing and dancing redux and look interested. ;)
Is looking interested required? I watch a lot of stupid Netflick "Movies" with my eyes closed and on the verge of snoring. I gave up on faking interest years ago. Man, I need a man cave.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
The problem is that there is no reason to watch it unless you are into sailing and if you are into sailing you will know it's completely ridiculous. He hits a mostly submerged shipping container in very calm weather and it puts a hole in the hull on the starboard side near the back of the boat. How does this happen? Later he hits a squall and decides to put on his foulies about 30 minutes into the squall. I am frustrated by survival stories in which the solutions to the situation are obvious but the director has not done enough due diligence on the subject to know better.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The one good thing is you get to see the resiliency of a Cal 39 Sailboat.
Even though his skills as a sailor are lacking the boat takes a licking that would cause others to fold and gives him a chance to the end.
3 Cal 39's gave their all to the movie. 29 original Lapworth designed boats were built between 1970 and 1971.
Following on the success of the Cal 40.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Slum Dog is a wonderful flick.... didn't it win an Oscar for best picture? It's a romantic fantasy... not a survival documentary. The Bollywood stuff is at the very end when they roll the credits. Frida Pinto is drop dead gorgeous. The "millionaire" refers to the lead character's unlikely appearance on an India TV network's version of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire". (because he was born a lower caste "slum dog")

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
For a truly amazing story, watch the movie "LION". It's impossible not to be moved by it.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Slum Dog made a lot more sense after I read the book. There is just so much background you can't put in a movie. It was a great movie once I had it figured out.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
We have external Hard Drive with 800+ movies using iTunes on Apple TV. Most of the movies were free or purchased off DVD's when they are priced at <$5.00.

So we run about 1 year behind Hollywood max profit timing.
One of the $3.95 DVD'S we just got was, 2011's "The Lincoln Lawyer" was very good.

The Admiral will not allow Castaway, Perfect Storm, Poseidon Adventure... etc on that Hard Drive.:yikes:

Captain Ron :thumbup:
Jim...

PS: Dont worry... "If is gonna happen, it gonna happen out there!":pimp: